Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Re: Traditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRev View Post
Ummm...having been raised Catholic I could easily answer the question but I don't care to go there.
Having been raised Catholic myself and with much of my family still Catholic, I'd have to say that the question really can't be answered all that easily.

The Catholic Church believes that they are guided by the Holy Spirit in preserving those traditions that God had given to the first century apostles. In most cases they in fact have a great deal of historical corroboration for their claims of at least preserving ancient traditions.

The "traditions" under discussion here, however, can be documented to have sprung up just in the past 75 years or so. About the only thing they both have in common is that both RCs and OPs claim to be advocating traditions that were inspired by God.

The Catholic claims go back millenia. The Oneness Pentecostal claims only go back to about the time my mother was born. Many of the Catholic traditions have scant basis in Scripture, while others appear to be very Scriptural. The whole "hair cutting thing," "pants on women," wedding bands/rings and other jewelry along with shirt sleeve and "short pants" stuff isn't described in Scripture at all.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: Traditions

And I would add that the pentecostal poofs, jean skirts, and bee hive hair styles go back maybe 40 years at the most.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Wink Re: Traditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
None of those "landmarks" even existed before about 1937 or so - except Jesus' name baptism and "speaking in tongues" as evidence of the HG which came about around the turn of the last century. Neither is hardly "ancient."

I find it striking that the rhetoric used to substantiate these innovations (for that's what they really are) is so similar to the Southern rhetoric used to support slavery and then, later, Jim Crow.

"Our Southern Heritage" and "Our beloved institutions and rights..." Give me a break. My family was from the South and was very much a part of Southern History and even fought to establish our rights in the Revolution. There are road signs and historical landmarks marking the homes, battlefields and other sites where my family lived and died.

PEL, not sure how you selected 1937....(founding of ABI??) but I agree with the time frame.
Both my mother and father were baptized in Jesus name and filled with the HG early 30's ...
One in MN the other in WI. Of course this predates the UPCI.........and I can say the current "legalism" taught as fact did not exist at the time of their separate conversions. Nor was it part of my early teaching as a small child in a UPCI congregation.

One famous ancestor's home is even a "Living Museum" now - complete with paid African-American actors portraying the "slaves" who allegedly lived on that plantation: But according to all the church records and Federal and State census materials, my ancestor never owned a slave. Not one. He called his home "Harmony Hall" because he was one of those wacky religious and national utopiarians.

I know this sounds like a bit of a tangent - but it's just an example of how convoluted some people's "history" has become. "Slavery" wasn't a "Southern Heritage." Most Southerners suffered economically at the hands of the ruling slave aristocracy. We were happy to see it go. Jim Crow was a racist innovation and NOT something that had had longstanding support in Southern communities.

Forbidding women to cut their hair was an innovation of the 1930s. The "pants" thing, though based upon older worldly customs, was added at about the same time.

"Ancient landmarks." "Our Godly Heritage..." Gimme a break. Those guys just make stuff up and then call it an "ancient landmark."

Pel,
Not sure where you got 1937 (ABI founded??)lol
In any event it's a valid time frame; my mother and father were both baptized in Jesus Name & filled with the HG prior to '37--one in MN one in WI....both were teenagers.
The current obsession with "tradition" is not the way it "was" in the 1930's or 1940's pre UPCI.
How are these new traditions part of the original church?? It was not taught that way in the "olden" days.

As a child in a UPCI church this was not part of my early teaching...........

It's amazing how "traditions" change....

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James