Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Sheltiedad

An Argument that Cannot Lose...

I've decided to concede on all of my religious arguments. Obviously, I cannot win against the ultimate weapon:

The ultimate weapon is that if something just doesn't add it up, if something just does not make sense... it is because "God's ways are not our ways", or "Human logic won't work on God"... therefore, you can use this argument against anyone, at any place, or at any time... or the clincher, "You don't understand because you don't pray enough"... or the funniest one, "You have been given over to a reprobate mind (and you must say this in a really solemn, hopeless tone and say, "Tsk, tsk" immediately afterwards). Those are the rules, if you don't understand them, that is because God's ways are not our ways.

Someone told you that 2+2=5? You better listen to them... never mind that it does not add up. You just don't pray enough or God would enlighten you so that you could understand.

You believe that the supreme being of the universe should be consistent and therefore those that consider themselves his followers (or even his representatives) should be striving for that consistency? Well, don't you fret! God does not have to be consistent by the human definition. If something doesn't make sense it is because "God's ways are not our ways".

Someone wants you to jump off of a cliff? Go for it, God's ways are not our ways! You wouldn't understand anyway, so just do what they say... they (whoever they might be) obviously are more enlightened so that things which do not make sense to normal people make sense to them... or if they don't make sense, they are spiritual enough to accept that they don't make sense and just believe them anyway, and you should too!

"Oh", you say, "You will know if they are in God's will, and you should only follow them for as long as they are in God's will." That is the beauty of it! If something does not make sense, then it is because you are not spiritual enough to accept that you are too human to understand it! Shame on you for assuming that the ability to think was given to you by God. Obviously, it was not, if God's ways defy human logic... why would God create human logic that is incompatible with His own? Maybe that is the biggest cosmic joke out there? This also conflicts with the thoughts above that you cannot expect God to comply with human definitions of "consistency", "truth", "fair" and "just". These words can mean whatever He wants them to mean so whatever they mean here is irrelevant... and since God is God, He can change those definitions at any time. Why? Because God's ways are not our ways. How dare you try to limit God to human understanding!

Does this sound like a riddle yet? It should... it is called religion... it has built-in rules that keep people from questioning, and if they do, there are these "catch-all" arguments that are indefensible... as long as you believe them... and if you don't believe them you are a reprobate.

The only answer, since one cannot change the wiring in their heads, is that one must pretend to believe, even if it doesn't make sense.

I see the emperor's new clothes and they are exquisitely crafted... of the finest materials and of the noblest colors. I see them now. I truly do... their beauty makes my heart leap with joy.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 PM

I thought Chrisitianity was relationship not relative logic.