Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Accepting Him or Rejecting Him; Jesus Name Baptism and Pentecostal Trinity Churches

The bible says very specifically that those that are "led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God"(Rom 8:14). It also says that this Holy Ghost will "guide you into all truth" (John 16:13). I think most of us here agree that the correct method of baptizing in water is "in the Name of Jesus Christ". This is what makes us Apostolic, and separates us from others that claim the Pentecostal experience.

So why is it that most Pentecostal trinitarian churches reject water baptism in Jesus Name? Are they refusing to be led by the Spirit into all truth. Why is it that this fundamental, foundational doctrine is not being accepted by these that have received the Spirit?

Will God accept them if they do not follow the leading of the Spirit and accept the truth of water Baptism in Jesus Name?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

St. Matt...I was lying in bed last night, thinking about this forum, and all of the conversations about the doctrine that have been presented,and I asked myself the question, "Why NOT be baptized in Jesus Name??" Folks will do everything else in His name- why wouldn't they want to be baptized in His name? I cannot fathom NOT desiring to have His name applied to my life. Is it because that's all I've ever known, or been taught?

Do other churches preach or teach the name of Jesus at all?? I have only been to a Church of God service one time, Apostolic church is all I know...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollyHis View Post
St. Matt...I was lying in bed last night, thinking about this forum, and all of the conversations about the doctrine that have been presented,and I asked myself the question, "Why NOT be baptized in Jesus Name??" Folks will do everything else in His name- why wouldn't they want to be baptized in His name? I cannot fathom NOT desiring to have His name applied to my life. Is it because that's all I've ever known, or been taught?

Do other churches preach or teach the name of Jesus at all?? I have only been to a Church of God service one time, Apostolic church is all I know...

I wasn't raised apostlic. I was Catholic and then an atheist. When God opened my eyes to his existence as the God of the Bible, I searched to see if what was being taught was true. Jesus' name baptism is truth. It is more clear than the initial evidence of tongues doctrine. Those who don't accept it are holding onto their traditions (it's hard to admit all those who have gone before them were wrong) and not obeying the word of God.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
I wasn't raised apostlic. I was Catholic and then an atheist. When God opened my eyes to his existence as the God of the Bible, I searched to see if what was being taught was true. Jesus' name baptism is truth. It is more clear than the initial evidence of tongues doctrine. Those who don't accept it are holding onto their traditions (it's hard to admit all those who have gone before them were wrong) and not obeying the word of God.
good post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Honorary Admin

From my experience with folks of the "trinitarian" persuasion, they don't see the difference. I think it is sincere ignorance for the most part. I have also had quite few folks who didn't have a clue as to what was said over them at their baptism or they automatically believed that they were baptized in Jesus' name.

I know in some places it is outright rejected, but I really don't think it is the majority.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

I've known of quite a few trinitarian churches who baptize in Jesus' name, actually.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
I've known of quite a few trinitarian churches who baptize in Jesus' name, actually.
me too.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Well do we need then to examine again Pentecost prior to Arroyo Seco?

Or do we really only have roots to 1910's?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

A story about one of them in Jackson, MS:

I noticed a church van with an Acts 2:38 bumper sticker on it, and I didn't recognize the name. However, I worked for a pizza place that delivered in that area of town, so the next Friday night, I happened to pass by and they were having some sort of choir practice or something, so I stopped by on the way back to the store (yeah yeah, I was on the clock). I was talking to some ladies outside and told them I noticed their bumper sticker and got a bunch of praise the lords...then I asked if they believed in the trinity and got another chorus of rambunctious amens! LOL Anyway, talked for a few more minutes and had to go back to work...

Good times!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
I don't know any.