Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

Re: Oneness is NOT a cult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRev View Post
If you truly want to know what Trinitarianism is, you really have to go back to the source...

Find an old time devout Roman Catholic, not a modern day one that believes in english spoken in Mass. Most modern day ones can't even begin to explain what the RCC really teaches about the Trinity.

There is a MAJOR difference between "Oneness" and the true doctrine of the trinity as it originated with the RCC.

Do you really think the RCC would label "Oneness" believers as HERETICS if there wasn't any significant difference in the beliefs?

As a delivered RC, it frightens me to think that people that once knew better would suddenly begin to embrace the trinity.

Its a salvational issue, not just semantics.

Sorry, I don't have the time to debate this topic. This is a hit and run. But there are plenty of resources out there. Including my own dad if you'd like to contact him. He'd be thrilled to talk to you about the trinity. He loves to debate it.
I agree as an ex RC , The truth of ONE GOD and his name being JESUS made all the difference to me . Otherwise I would have remained RC.

Last edited by iceniez; 03-09-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Does anyone in a cult know they're in a cult?
Many of the churches have cultish aspects and controlling ways. Many will not rise to the level of a full blown cult, I am not speaking specific to Oneness churches. The spiritual aspects of the Jim Jones cult started with the congregation separating from the world and looking to find a deeper relationship in Christ. If the pastor starts to walk that fine line then their needs to be strong saints to stand up and protect the congregation. A blind trust for the sake of following a pastor is not always a good thing...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

I would not say that the doctrine of "oneness" is cultic unless:
--It was claimed that it could only be understood by a personal and direct revelation,
--It was claimed that the group that preached it had a superior revelation to others,
--It was claimed that only those who believed that particular explanation of God were really God's people and the only ones who would be saved.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
--It was claimed that it could only be understood by a personal and direct revelation,
--It was claimed that the group that preached it had a superior revelation to others,
--It was claimed that only those who believed that particular explanation of God were really God's people and the only ones who would be saved.
I would not say that the UPC as an organization is a cult,
but it does have some cultish aspects.

I would say that some local UPC churches are cults.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

In an interview with Paul Crouch, Benny Hinn said there are actually "nine of them." The Father, has a Spirit, Soul and Body, the Son has a Spirit, Soul and Body, and the Holy Ghost has a Spirit, Soul and Body.

This is tri-theism and IMO the way most Trinnies think about the Godhead.

Oneness does not believe in "distinctions" in the Godhead. A Godhead with distinctions means that each of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, possess a quality or attribute that each of the other does not.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
hmm add the word Calvinist they fit the bill. jk

Also wouldn't anyone believing they preached the true gospel be guilty of the above? Because anyone who did not agree with them would technically make them to be teaching divine and direct revelation and even personal as Christ is in us leading us. We would have superior understanding if we knewthe truth. Would not that particular revelation and explanation prove they where the only ones saved?

I would also say the apostles would follow into this category.

Last edited by TheLegalist; 03-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
I thought I had a pretty good understanding of "oneness" but reading some of the arguments back and forth among "oneness" folks here on this forum, the way they speak to one another, the way they put one another down, the terms and words used, I wonder if there is such a thing as a "oneness" doctrine. Does each of us have our own private "oneness" doctrine?
I agree maybe 1% of the 'Oneness' movement can explain in total the full doctrine.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by U376977 View Post
In an interview with Paul Crouch, Benny Hinn said there are actually "nine of them." The Father, has a Spirit, Soul and Body, the Son has a Spirit, Soul and Body, and the Holy Ghost has a Spirit, Soul and Body.

Oneness does not believe in "distinctions" in the Godhead. A Godhead with distinctions means that each of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, possess a quality or attribute that each of the other does not.

Maybe that is why they ask for so much money we need to pay a tithe to the entire lot of Gods.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
Maybe that is why they ask for so much money we need to pay a tithe to the entire lot of Gods.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U376977 View Post

What is a godhead?]

Oneness DOES teach/assert a distinction between Father and Son. That distinction is due to the incarnation and the Son's humanity

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.