Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: Taking responsibility for our own actions.

Take responsibility for ones own actions???? What a stunningly novel idea!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
I've never understood most reality tv shows... why someone would want to go on national tv and make a donkey of themselves is beyond me.
Make a donkey... bwahahaha, now that's funny...
Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces. | Etienne de la Boetie

My Site
Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
I've never understood most reality tv shows... why someone would want to go on national tv and make a donkey of themselves is beyond me.
Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, and if you can't get it doing something noble, I guess some folks will get it doing something stupid.

I agree with you, I am amazed at what people will do in front of a camera.

Then, my cynicism kicks in, and I wonder how much of it is staged.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, and if you can't get it doing something noble, I guess some folks will get it doing something stupid.

I agree with you, I am amazed at what people will do in front of a camera.

Then, my cynicism kicks in, and I wonder how much of it is staged.
I agree, but then I think, but just for fame and money, you would let the rest of the world to think you are an idiot. (of course that is supposing that you really aren't an idiot!)
Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
At what age in the United States are you considered "legal age" an adult who can make your own decisions, live on your own etc??

In Canada by the age of 22 you're legal. You can work, marry, drive, have sex, drink... and you can go to jail, be sued etc.

I like to think that at age 22, if my son does something foolish,GOD FORBID like getting into a vehicle with the full intention to "street race", not buckling his seat-belt, hanging out with the young and immature... and finds himself in an accident and physically harmed for the rest of his life... that I as a parent, would know that no matter how much he's my baby, he is a grown man who makes his own decisions...
Whether they be good ones or poor ones.
That I, as a parent, would know that no matter how much I would like to lay blame for this horrible circumstance on someone, anyone, other than my baby... I can't.

My uncle was in his thirties (still single and living recklessly) when he got into a car with his friend who had been drinking and was killed when the car left the road.
My family grieved, buried him and kept silent as the man who was driving the car drunk got off with his hands slapped.
My uncle was an adult and he knew what he was doing when he got into that car. My mother's family knew that. Painful, but common sense.

So, why am I rambling on about this? Who knows!!!
I guess it just boggles my mind that a young man's parents ( a young man who was old enough to serve in the army, old enough to make all his own decisions, an adult) that young man's family feels now they can sue the other young man (and his parents) who was driving the race car thier son got into of his own free will. (and didn't buckle his own seat belt)

Boggles my mind!

I just watched Hulk Hogan on Larry King and googled for more info since I hadn't followed the story. In case you're all wondering what in the world I'm talking about.

I'm in no way sympathizing with "poor old Hulk"... I've seen how they've lived and raised thier children. Nothing there to praise!

But in my books, this boils down to taking responsibility for your own actions.
An adult who gets into a street racing car knows full well the risks... and if he gets in and then is foolish enough to not buckle his seat belt... you can't sue the parents of the kid driving the car.

Well... I guess in this case you can.
Correction:

Definition: The age of majority in Canada is the age at which a person is considered by law to be an adult. A person younger than the age of majority is considered a "minor child."

The age of majority in Canada is determined by each province and territory in Canada.

The age of majority in the individual provinces and territories of Canada is

* Alberta - 18
* British Columbia - 19
* Manitoba - 18
* New Brunswick - 19
* Newfoundland and Labrador - 19
* Northwest Territories - 19
* Nova Scotia - 19
* Nunavut - 19
* Ontario - 18
* Prince Edward Island - 18
* Quebec - 18
* Saskatchewan - 18
* Yukon Territory - 19
Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Correction:

Definition: The age of majority in Canada is the age at which a person is considered by law to be an adult. A person younger than the age of majority is considered a "minor child."

The age of majority in Canada is determined by each province and territory in Canada.

The age of majority in the individual provinces and territories of Canada is

* Alberta - 18
* British Columbia - 19
* Manitoba - 18
* New Brunswick - 19
* Newfoundland and Labrador - 19
* Northwest Territories - 19
* Nova Scotia - 19
* Nunavut - 19
* Ontario - 18
* Prince Edward Island - 18
* Quebec - 18
* Saskatchewan - 18
* Yukon Territory - 19
Quote:
In Canada by the age of 22 you're legal. You can work, marry, drive, have sex, drink... and you can go to jail, be sued etc.

I'm not sure what I got wrong.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what I got wrong.
The age is too high, you can have all of that at a younger age.