Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahkoe View Post
BOOMM, I have a question about firefox and IE. Well, let me just ask it. lol

Right now, for some reason, IE is slowing my computer down to the point it's almost unusable. I've run all the adware checks, virus scans, and I've been watching performance. It's definitely IE.

Does firefox use fewer resources? Will I be able to keep my computer limping along for a little longer if I switch? It's just getting old, I can't really fault it for that, but I need it to keep functioning for a few more semesters before I can replace it.
IE could clog your system. I have IE 7 on my wife's box and only use it to do an online survey that will not accept Firefox. Also the dreaded Windows Updates sometimes require IE.

You can put so many addons to FF that you create a monster also. Fasterfox is an addon that will drain a lot of memory. What applications do you need for schooling>?? Word processing and web?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
IE could clog your system. I have IE 7 on my wife's box and only use it to do an online survey that will not accept Firefox. Also the dreaded Windows Updates sometimes require IE.

You can put so many addons to FF that you create a monster also. Fasterfox is an addon that will drain a lot of memory. What applications do you need for schooling>?? Word processing and web?
JAVA. That eats up resources too. A few odd plug ins (more and more classes are online, or have online components and they each have their own things then). Web and word processing, other office programs.

And I like music and flash games. lol Both while doing homework of course.

I do know I'll need to keep IE around, some of the things I need to get into will only open with IE (don't ask me..my university has gone Mac, and yet the site for accessing classes will only work in IE)

Right now I can't have more than one window open at a time, and that is simply not going to work for long. I need to have multiple windows open for research and procrastination purposes.