Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-26-2023, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

One Thing

One Thing

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do,

Of the ten notable times that “one thing” appears in the scriptures, perhaps none are as inspiring and relevant as Paul’s. Not that the blind man’s “one thing I know” doesn’t bring every apostolic to his feet. But the apostle here shares his living, breathing passion…his very core motivation. Undeterred by his past failures. Yes, I’ve slaughtered entire Christian families thinking they were heretics. I’ve made gain of their loss, and showed no mercy. That is imprinted upon my past. But I have been redeemed by the blood of the lamb, filled with his spirit, and so I forget those things which are behind.

Even more than our failures, we must also put our successes far behind us. They can puff us up, and become our Nehushtan. Certainly take the lessons of your successes with you, but leave the baggage behind. Reach forth unto those things which are now before you. Humble and naked in spirit, reaching for the next step in your journey. To “press toward” in the Greek is: to pursue beyond measure. To stretch oneself in that pursuit. Not every now and then, or in proper social settings, but dogging this path with every waking hour.

In the prayer of Moses:

We spend our years as a tale that is told. The days of our years are threescore and ten years.

As we approach that seventy year milestone, we are likely worn out. The journey on the narrow way has been long and arduous. Heartbreak and disappointment have left their scars. We are, at this age, established now in his word and in truth. Intimate with and dependant upon our redeemer. Spent of our gift, and resting now in hope. Yet ever ready to share years of experience with whosoever might listen.

Our narrow way has been much like the gauntlet of olden days. This was a long, narrow pathway lined on both sides with men facing each other. Brutal, ruthless men armed with brass knuckles, mace and clubs, knives and whips. The runner of this gauntlet must press through, fighting his way past attacks coming from both sides. He knows what lays ahead, but turning back is not an option. So he covers himself in full armour and enters the gauntlet. His singular goal in life is to make it to the other side.

Ours is this life-long gauntlet from our new birth until we die. It is filled with victory and defeat, injury and loss, and the many ups and downs of life. But we, as Paul, must fight a good fight and ever press for the mark:

Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Here is Paul’s “one thing”. He presses for a mark. Should he reach it or die trying, there is a prize to be had. On our journey of life the mark is to survive the gauntlet and make it to the other side. The closer we get to the mark, the fiercer the gauntlet attacks become. This because near the end our bodies are broken from a lifetime of labor. And yes, we become weary in well doing. The attacks of bitterness, hatred, strife and conflict are relentless. But in patient continuance of well doing, we press for the mark.

The prize is a high calling, or literally: a heavenly invitation. God in Christ Jesus. Almighty God, in the priestly robes of the Christ, visiting us in his only begotten son Jesus. This is the very highest calling available to humanity on earth. You will never reach its end, as it unlocks his word and his purposes. To possess this revelation, study its beauty and depth your life-long, and guard its purity as you run, will bring you through your gauntlet, enriching you along the way. It is an empowering revelation, and may well be Paul’s inspiration in his words to the saints at Colosse:

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ, in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Quietly perfecting our knowledge of his word. Unbowed by tradgedy. Undeterred in times of betrayal and faith lacking. Bearing treasure in an earthen vessel and battling until the end. Pressing for the mark.

Paul’s was not the path of prestige, honor and comfort that today’s apostolic leadership enjoys. He enjoins the saints at Corinth:

Ye are honorable, but we are despised. Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling; and labour, working with our own hands; being reviled, we bless, being persecuted, we suffer it: being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

This is that same apostle who pants: “this one thing I do”. Come what may, my beliefs are rock solid and researched. I know whom I have believed, and my life is consumed with pressing toward the mark. Holding fast unto the end. I will not lay down, and with each smiting blow in life I will rise back up to press toward the mark. You can break my body, but never my reborn spirit.

On the horizon, at seventy and beyond, we begin to see now the glow from his outstretched hand: a heavenly invitation to eternal life. All of life’s struggles don’t even rate mentioning at the feet of Jesus, beholding at last that for which we were apprehended. What trials? We shall ask in a place of no more tears, no more heart hurts, no hot or cold, no pain or suffering, no hunger or thirst.

We’ve come so far brethren in treacherous times, and at seventy and beyond we find ourselves on the very brink of eternity. May we finish our course…press toward the mark, and hold fast. For life is about to begin. Mysteries are about to unravel. Our purposes are about to be revealed. Eternal life lays just ahead.

He that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:19 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: One Thing

I Love Him Too Much (To Fail Him Now)
by Lanny Wolfe

When I first heard of Jesus, his love and his grace,
My heart was overwhelmed to think a King would take my place.
I cried, “Lord, I’ll go with you every step of the way.”
“That’s all I can do, my debt to repay.”

I love him too much to fail him now;
Too much to break my vow.
For I promised the Lord that I would make it somehow,
And now I love him too much to fail him now.

[[ I told him I loved him, it was easy to say,
But harder to prove it when temptation came my way. ]]
For what good are broken promises; I counted them but loss;
When I caught a glimpse of True Love hanging on a rugged cross.

Oh, the years have drawn us closer, my love for him has grown,
Each step has brought me nearer to my eternal home;
And I’m just too close to Heaven to turn back now,
His grace will be sufficient, I’m gonna make it somehow!

I love him too much to fail him now;
Too much to break my vow.
For I promised the Lord that I would make it somehow,
And now I love him too much
Oh yes I love him too much
Oh, I love him too much to fail him now.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:02 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareztamar View Post
One Thing

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do,

Of the ten notable times that “one thing” appears in the scriptures, perhaps none are as inspiring and relevant as Paul’s. Not that the blind man’s “one thing I know” doesn’t bring every apostolic to his feet. But the apostle here shares his living, breathing passion…his very core motivation. Undeterred by his past failures. Yes, I’ve slaughtered entire Christian families thinking they were heretics. I’ve made gain of their loss, and showed no mercy. That is imprinted upon my past. But I have been redeemed by the blood of the lamb, filled with his spirit, and so I forget those things which are behind.

Even more than our failures, we must also put our successes far behind us. They can puff us up, and become our Nehushtan. Certainly take the lessons of your successes with you, but leave the baggage behind. Reach forth unto those things which are now before you. Humble and naked in spirit, reaching for the next step in your journey. To “press toward” in the Greek is: to pursue beyond measure. To stretch oneself in that pursuit. Not every now and then, or in proper social settings, but dogging this path with every waking hour.

In the prayer of Moses:

We spend our years as a tale that is told. The days of our years are threescore and ten years.

As we approach that seventy year milestone, we are likely worn out. The journey on the narrow way has been long and arduous. Heartbreak and disappointment have left their scars. We are, at this age, established now in his word and in truth. Intimate with and dependant upon our redeemer. Spent of our gift, and resting now in hope. Yet ever ready to share years of experience with whosoever might listen.

Our narrow way has been much like the gauntlet of olden days. This was a long, narrow pathway lined on both sides with men facing each other. Brutal, ruthless men armed with brass knuckles, mace and clubs, knives and whips. The runner of this gauntlet must press through, fighting his way past attacks coming from both sides. He knows what lays ahead, but turning back is not an option. So he covers himself in full armour and enters the gauntlet. His singular goal in life is to make it to the other side.

Ours is this life-long gauntlet from our new birth until we die. It is filled with victory and defeat, injury and loss, and the many ups and downs of life. But we, as Paul, must fight a good fight and ever press for the mark:

Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Here is Paul’s “one thing”. He presses for a mark. Should he reach it or die trying, there is a prize to be had. On our journey of life the mark is to survive the gauntlet and make it to the other side. The closer we get to the mark, the fiercer the gauntlet attacks become. This because near the end our bodies are broken from a lifetime of labor. And yes, we become weary in well doing. The attacks of bitterness, hatred, strife and conflict are relentless. But in patient continuance of well doing, we press for the mark.

The prize is a high calling, or literally: a heavenly invitation. God in Christ Jesus. Almighty God, in the priestly robes of the Christ, visiting us in his only begotten son Jesus. This is the very highest calling available to humanity on earth. You will never reach its end, as it unlocks his word and his purposes. To possess this revelation, study its beauty and depth your life-long, and guard its purity as you run, will bring you through your gauntlet, enriching you along the way. It is an empowering revelation, and may well be Paul’s inspiration in his words to the saints at Colosse:

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ, in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Quietly perfecting our knowledge of his word. Unbowed by tradgedy. Undeterred in times of betrayal and faith lacking. Bearing treasure in an earthen vessel and battling until the end. Pressing for the mark.

Paul’s was not the path of prestige, honor and comfort that today’s apostolic leadership enjoys. He enjoins the saints at Corinth:

Ye are honorable, but we are despised. Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling; and labour, working with our own hands; being reviled, we bless, being persecuted, we suffer it: being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

This is that same apostle who pants: “this one thing I do”. Come what may, my beliefs are rock solid and researched. I know whom I have believed, and my life is consumed with pressing toward the mark. Holding fast unto the end. I will not lay down, and with each smiting blow in life I will rise back up to press toward the mark. You can break my body, but never my reborn spirit.

On the horizon, at seventy and beyond, we begin to see now the glow from his outstretched hand: a heavenly invitation to eternal life. All of life’s struggles don’t even rate mentioning at the feet of Jesus, beholding at last that for which we were apprehended. What trials? We shall ask in a place of no more tears, no more heart hurts, no hot or cold, no pain or suffering, no hunger or thirst.

We’ve come so far brethren in treacherous times, and at seventy and beyond we find ourselves on the very brink of eternity. May we finish our course…press toward the mark, and hold fast. For life is about to begin. Mysteries are about to unravel. Our purposes are about to be revealed. Eternal life lays just ahead.

He that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Beautiful. So beautiful. Thank you.

Last week that term "I press towards the mark" kept reverberating in my spirit. I was reminded of two places where Paul speaks of marks. One is in the passage you referenced and the other in Galatians where he says, "Let no man trouble be for I in my body bear the marks*stigmata* of the Lord Jesus Christ".

I know contextually he is speaking of two different things but as I kept going over it...Paul presses towards the mark as in a race and as you mentioned so incredibly he is running a gauntlet and while his eyes are on the "prize" Paul also doesnt shirk from jis calling due to the difficulty...he not only presses towards the mark of the high calling but he thrusts himself into what causes the marks"stigmata" that he references in Galatians. I just kept thinking of the carryover...that to reach the mark at the end of our race, we have to almost develop a mindset where we willingly and forcefully face what is attempting and succeeding to "mark us" knowing that to get to our ultimate prize...this is the way...the way is through.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:45 PM
Registered Member