Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Interesting article on the need for Apostolic TV..

By Ruth Ann Kerr

Now that we have the Tenneys on TBN to discuss, I suppose the discussion over conscientious scruples will go on the back burner for now. No comments in this missive on either topic.

But, I do want to speak in favor of Apostolics taking to the tube for a reason I have yet to see mentioned as a ministry to the sick and the shut-in.

However, I realize, that just as Madison Avenue looks at the American spending pool as hip and 18-30, so do some Apostolics validate/endorse/approve ministry only if it extends to those who are able bodied and still young enough to march for missions, run aisles, and help with the annual peanut brittle event or Sheaves for Christ rock-a-thon.

My 80+ year-old mother passed away in 2001 and she had, as long as physically able, attended church “every time the doors were opened” for nearly 60 years. Bed-ridden from cancer several months before her demise, TV became more important to her than ever. It was her only link to church services, to any corporate move of God at all.

My saint of a father and unchurched family members and I collectively say “Thank God!” for T. D. Jakes and a handful of P.A.W. churches who preached doctrinally-sound sermons and sang and worshipped each week. Mom prayed along with them, said “Amen” during the preaching, and tapped her fingers to and sang along with the music.

Now the argument against being on TV for this purpose would be that our churches should have nursing home ministries and outreaches to the elderly and shut-in. Would that were the case! So few Apostolic churches have such ministries/outreaches in place. As a body, we don’t even seem to be able to erect just one nursing/retirement home anywhere.

For my mom, requests to her church of 50+ years elicited less-than-sporadic phone calls and even fewer visits (until the last two weeks of her life). Of course, faithful saint that she was, her tithing checks were mailed right on time each month. No one came with Communion, no one came with singing, no one came with Bible lessons or even “sermonettes.” I see the same turn of events taking place now with my 91-year-old father who is too ill to make the trip to church. His only links with a church body are the same ones available to my mother. Elderly people, I have learned, are very understanding, you see, of how busy their church leadership/family is.

Folks may not want to ask Dad whether we should use TV or not he’ll quickly tell you in great detail about the advent of “crystal radios” and how every sermon warned against that wicked tool of the Anti-Christ. He may not be able to remember what he had for lunch today, but just ask him to relate how “the Church” has changed its collective mind about many things through the years and you’ll get vivid detail, because “the Church” has been his life.

When the UPCI, or any other Oneness organization for that matter, is ready to step up to the proverbial plate and put as much emphasis on meeting needs of church-members and the community at large as it puts on how many more conferences we can schedule this year or how many more books we can write about how people should look, perhaps even our seniors and other shut-ins can still feel like they really are part of a body of believers.

For just a few minutes…a few short minutes…can we refrain from standing in front of a mirror, or holding the mirror up to someone else, and take a really honest look at the needs of the world around us, even the needs of those who support us, put food on our tables, pay our way to General Conference, and send our children to private schools? I realize that, for many, “image is everything,” but let’s be real, folks image isn’t as much to Jesus as it is to us.

As a holder of a General License with the UPCI, I am committed now more than ever to preaching the whole gospel of Jesus Christ. And, after exhausting every sermon available on the Mighty God in Christ, love and compassion for the lost, redemption, reconciliation, and remission of sin, I’ll surely have ample time to preach against the evils of TV and other mass media and will do just that. I promise. Cross my heart.

Yet right now, at this particular intersection of time and opportunity, I simply want to be sure that every hungry heart I know young, old, “saved” or not has the invitation to become acquainted with the love and tender mercies of Jesus Christ. And that every one I encounter knows that he or she is loved and cared for by the Body of Christ (us).

Wasn’t it during the Russian revolution, as people marched in the streets and their country was falling apart, that the Russian Orthodox church leaders were behind closed doors trying to decide what color buttons to sew on their robes and whether or not to use a napkin with the communion chalice?

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, “It’s déjà vu all over again.”
Old 07-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Brother Strange

Gotta love Ruthie. Haven't seen her in a great many years. I loved her parents too. Her brother Jerry was my good fishing buddy back in the (1950s) day.

Here she writes the most compelling argument for T.V. ministry that I've heard yet. Who can adaquately argue against THAT?

How many times have I protested to my dear Pastor, G.A. Mangun, his ardent stance against T.V. ministry. There were times that I would wax passionate for the cause of Christ on T.V.. Once he turned to Sister Vesta and said, "Rayford has gone wild." LOL... A typical Mangun statement. But, he would not move. He was dead set against it. I pointed out how Oral Roberts, Herbert W. Armstrong, Allen, Bishop Sheen was taking the world with this highly effective electronic media doing what our little tracks were just not doing.

Now, guess what???

It is my understanding that G. A. and Son are probably the foremost leading proponents for it.

WellWellwhatdayaknowboutthatenniehow? I am far too humble to have a "I told ya so" attitude. No sir reeee. Far too humble.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Brothers Strange and NLYP the tv issue she is addressing is not what
gets to me.Its the other issue of the church not reaching for her family now that they are homebound.My dad thank God had us and the church and our pastors
were faithful to see him.I am so glad for that.The church here has a ministry to the shut in.They tape the services and they are on DVD.Thank God for that and for those who go and visit and have commuinion with them and prayer.That is what bugged me the most about what she said.Its heartbreaking.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Source URL please....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM
arbitrary subjective label

It's a valid argument that completely ignores some key trivia:

Less than 1% of people watch "religious" television programming.

Approximately 95% of people who watch religious programming believe themselves to be already "saved."

Those who have gone before us into the world of television ministry, and fallen spectacularly, have indelibly muddied the waters. In the minds of the secular population, all TV preachers are fake, hypocritical money-grabbers. ALL of them.

We are only fooling ourselves if we think we can get on the airwaves and be perceived as different by the world. A good deal of what talent is on TV now was trained in the UPC.

Usually, people need to feel the presence and power of God, and the warm welcome of the saints, to be reached. Apostolic services on television will be borderline entertainment for the saints and the topic of abject ridicule for the unsaved.

In the end, television will merely consume resources of time, talent, energy, and lots of money that could have been used to greater effect building bible schools on missions fields - all the while stirring controversy and division to distract the congregation's attention from more important matters.

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLYP View Post
By Ruth Ann KerrNow that we have the Tenneys on TBN to discuss, I suppose the discussion over conscientious scruples will go on the back burner for now. No comments in this missive on either topic.

But, I do want to speak in favor of Apostolics taking to the tube for a reason I have yet to see mentioned as a ministry to the sick and the shut-in.

However, I realize, that just as Madison Avenue looks at the American spending pool as hip and 18-30, so do some Apostolics validate/endorse/approve ministry only if it extends to those who are able bodied and still young enough to march for missions, run aisles, and help with the annual peanut brittle event or Sheaves for Christ rock-a-thon.

My 80+ year-old mother passed away in 2001 and she had, as long as physically able, attended church “every time the doors were opened” for nearly 60 years. Bed-ridden from cancer several months before her demise, TV became more important to her than ever. It was her only link to church services, to any corporate move of God at all.

My saint of a father and unchurched family members and I collectively say “Thank God!” for T. D. Jakes and a handful of P.A.W. churches who preached doctrinally-sound sermons and sang and worshipped each week. Mom prayed along with them, said “Amen” during the preaching, and tapped her fingers to and sang along with the music.

Now the argument against being on TV for this purpose would be that our churches should have nursing home ministries and outreaches to the elderly and shut-in. Would that were the case! So few Apostolic churches have such ministries/outreaches in place. As a body, we don’t even seem to be able to erect just one nursing/retirement home anywhere.

For my mom, requests to her church of 50+ years elicited less-than-sporadic phone calls and even fewer visits (until the last two weeks of her life). Of course, faithful saint that she was, her tithing checks were mailed right on time each month. No one came with Communion, no one came with singing, no one came with Bible lessons or even “sermonettes.” I see the same turn of events taking place now with my 91-year-old father who is too ill to make the trip to church. His only links with a church body are the same ones available to my mother. Elderly people, I have learned, are very understanding, you see, of how busy their church leadership/family is.

Folks may not want to ask Dad whether we should use TV or not he’ll quickly tell you in great detail about the advent of “crystal radios” and how every sermon warned against that wicked tool of the Anti-Christ. He may not be able to remember what he had for lunch today, but just ask him to relate how “the Church” has changed its collective mind about many things through the years and you’ll get vivid detail, because “the Church” has been his life.

When the UPCI, or any other Oneness organization for that matter, is ready to step up to the proverbial plate and put as much emphasis on meeting needs of church-members and the community at large as it puts on how many more conferences we can schedule this year or how many more books we can write about how people should look, perhaps even our seniors and other shut-ins can still feel like they really are part of a body of believers.

For just a few minutes…a few short minutes…can we refrain from standing in front of a mirror, or holding the mirror up to someone else, and take a really honest look at the needs of the world around us, even the needs of those who support us, put food on our tables, pay our way to General Conference, and send our children to private schools? I realize that, for many, “image is everything,” but let’s be real, folks image isn’t as much to Jesus as it is to us.

As a holder of a General License with the UPCI, I am committed now more than ever to preaching the whole gospel of Jesus Christ. And, after exhausting every sermon available on the Mighty God in Christ, love and compassion for the lost, redemption, reconciliation, and remission of sin, I’ll surely have ample time to preach against the evils of TV and other mass media and will do just that. I promise. Cross my heart.

Yet right now, at this particular intersection of time and opportunity, I simply want to be sure that every hungry heart I know young, old, “saved” or not has the invitation to become acquainted with the love and tender mercies of Jesus Christ. And that every one I encounter knows that he or she is loved and cared for by the Body of Christ (us).

Wasn’t it during the Russian revolution, as people marched in the streets and their country was falling apart, that the Russian Orthodox church leaders were behind closed doors trying to decide what color buttons to sew on their robes and whether or not to use a napkin with the communion chalice?

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, “It’s déjà vu all over again.”

Let the women keep silent
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

http://www.ninetyandnine.com/Archive...7/ephemera.htm

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
It's a valid argument that completely ignores some key trivia:

Less than 1% of people watch "religious" television programming.

Approximately 95% of people who watch religious programming believe themselves to be already "saved."

Those who have gone before us into the world of television ministry, and fallen spectacularly, have indelibly muddied the waters. In the minds of the secular population, all TV preachers are fake, hypocritical money-grabbers. ALL of them.

We are only fooling ourselves if we think we can get on the airwaves and be perceived as different by the world. A good deal of what talent is on TV now was trained in the UPC.

Usually, people need to feel the presence and power of God, and the warm welcome of the saints, to be reached. Apostolic services on television will be borderline entertainment for the saints and the topic of abject ridicule for the unsaved.

In the end, television will merely consume resources of time, talent, energy, and lots of money that could have been used to greater effect building bible schools on missions fields - all the while stirring controversy and division to distract the congregation's attention from more important matters.
The "key trivia" is irrelevant to her compelling and well-written argument.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Sheltiedad

I hope that no one has a church in Las Vegas... because 95% of the people who go to Vegas are going for entertainment purposes.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Sheltiedad

Not using a tool that could be used to reach people in 3rd world countries by the millions is not an important matter? I have had dinner in a man's house in India who makes approximately $2.00 US dollars a day. His entire house was two rooms and their furniture was plastic chairs, yet they had a television...