Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Another ? about speaking in tongues.

If tongues is not the initial evidence, why do people that do not know anything about the I.E. doctrine speak in tongues when they give their life to the Lord?

I have witnessed first time visitors cry out to God and BAM! They began to speak in tongues, with no coaching, and nobody praying with them.

My mother trembled in the presence of God. She spoke in tongues and fell forward to the ground. Describing her experience she said that she could see nothing but a bright light. I don't how she could see anything, her eyes were closed the whole time she was on the floor.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
This is still that!

Re: Another ? about speaking in tongues.

I also don't understand why people want to do away with tongues as evidence, especially those who have experienced it first hand.

I received the HG as a child and spoke in tongues having never heard about it before.

I've seen 100s of people, maybe thousands, filled the same way.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

My story is different. I sought the gift of tongues for almost 9 months and nothing happened. I thanked and asked God for the Holy Ghost for 3 days after being introduced to the initial evidence doctrine and BAM!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Great question! I look forward to the responses. A couple quick comments. First, not [U]everyone[U] that gives their life to the Lord immediately commences to speak in tongues. I would venture to say that most don't and those that do speak in tongues do so at some later future time. Second, people have varied experiences while praying and seeking God that are not common among everybody. Experiences such as visions, overwhelming joy and or peace, feelings of being physically touched, goose bumps, electricity passing though the body, falling out, laughter, crying, etc. Yet no one claims that any of these experiences must be experienced in order to know that one has been saved, or justified, or sanctified, or any other fied.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

Well, taking you at your word, ty. Your mom was unaware of any doctrine in this area? Interesting. As I'm sure you're aware of the relevant scripture on the subject, I'm curious how this becomes a "requirement," tho?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I also don't understand why people want to do away with tongues as evidence, especially those who have experienced it first hand.

I received the HG as a child and spoke in tongues having never heard about it before.

I've seen 100s of people, maybe thousands, filled the same way.
As always, the question is not whether or not people speak in tongues, but is speaking in tongues evidence of initial infilling of the Holy Ghost? Some will suggest that someone that speaks in tongues likely had the Spirit of Christ residing in their heart prior to that event. Likely at a time of sincere repentance and surrendering of ones life to Him.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 AM
This is still that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Well, taking you at your word, ty. Your mom was unaware of any doctrine in this area? Interesting. As I'm sure you're aware of the relevant scripture on the subject, I'm curious how this becomes a "requirement," tho?
Mom was catholic, we had been invited to the AoG with a friend of hers, she had no clue what was going on. if you were addressing your post to me

are you aware of the quote function? on the bottom right you can hit the quote function to bring up the person's quote and make a response to them.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

Wow-I'm jealous! not interested in including/excluding it as some kind of "evidence," but surely "jealousy" may have a large part in this...exclusion?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Awesome. My experience was similar, but not being as committed as you, I guess, in the 2nd part of your post, it was more like pop than BAM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 AM
This is still that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Wow-I'm jealous! not interested in including/excluding it as some kind of "evidence," but surely "jealousy" may have a large part in this...exclusion?
not sure what part jealousy plays, maybe you would like to comment further?