Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator

How Did Mary Die?

Does anyone know the history of how Mary the mother of Jesus died?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Re: How Did Mary Die?

And Simeon blessed us, and said to me, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

Was this literal or figuirity (sp) speaking?
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Some believe that she was bodily carried to Heaven without seeing physical death.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
And Simeon blessed us, and said to me, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

Was this literal or figuirity (sp) speaking?
Where is this quote from?

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Some believe that she was bodily carried to Heaven without seeing physical death.
Would that be the RCC?
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
Where is this quote from?
Luke 2:35
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Don't ask.

Was she saved?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Was she saved?
She was in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost! Received the HolyGhost! Spoke in tongues! I'm sure was baptized in Jesus' name too! So yeah, I think that covered the neccessities of her salvation!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Accepts all friends requests

From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Quote:
Regarding the day, year, and manner of Our Lady's death, nothing certain is known. The earliest known literary reference to the Assumption is found in the Greek work De Obitu S. Dominae. Catholic faith, however, has always derived our knowledge of the mystery from Apostolic Tradition. Epiphanius (d. 403) acknowledged that he knew nothing definite about it (Haer., lxxix, 11). The dates assigned for it vary between three and fifteen years after Christ's Ascension. Two cities claim to be the place of her departure: Jerusalem and Ephesus. Common consent favours Jerusalem, where her tomb is shown; but some argue in favour of Ephesus. The first six centuries did not know of the tomb of Mary at Jerusalem.
The belief in the corporeal assumption of Mary is founded on the apocryphal treatise De Obitu S. Dominae, bearing the name of St. John, which belongs however to the fourth or fifth century. It is also found in the book De Transitu Virginis, falsely ascribed to St. Melito of Sardis, and in a spurious letter attributed to St. Denis the Areopagite. If we consult genuine writings in the East, it is mentioned in the sermons of St. Andrew of Crete, St. John Damascene, St. Modestus of Jerusalem and others. In the West, St. Gregory of Tours (De gloria mart., I, iv) mentions it first. The sermons of St. Jerome and St. Augustine for this feast, however, are spurious. St. John of Damascus (P.G., I, 96) thus formulates the tradition of the Church of Jerusalem:
St. Juvenal, Bishop of Jerusalem, at the Council of Chalcedon (451), made known to the Emperor Marcian and Pulcheria, who wished to possess the body of the Mother of God, that Mary died in the presence of all the Apostles, but that her tomb, when opened, upon the request of St. Thomas, was found empty; wherefrom the Apostles concluded that the body was taken up to heaven.
Today, the belief in the corporeal assumption of Mary is universal in the East and in the West; according to Benedict XIV (De Festis B.V.M., I, viii, 18) it is a probable opinion, which to deny were impious and blasphemous.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02006b.htm
The apparent fact that it took 400 years before anyone seemed to regard her passing as more significant than that of other First Century saints would explain the lack of detail surrounding her death.

Also, (and this is just my speculation) since the Emperor Marcian was requesting the body itself the locals in Jerusalem may have have invented the story about the apostles and Mary's empty tomb just to keep the relic hungry Emperor's cohorts away.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Restricted

With her eyes closed