Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Microsoft VISTA

Anybody using the new Microsoft VISTA operatong system?

I recently bought a new laptop with VISTA Basic and I am underwhelmed. So far I see zero advantages over Windows XP.

Is it because I only have the basic and not the premium or ultimate?

My understanding is that the premium and ultimate require a min of 1 gig RAM to operate so on computers like mine that only came with 512 mb RAM they can only put Vista basic on.

Now that I have upgraded my RAM to 2 gigs I could upgrade to VISTA premium but I don't know what the difference is and if it would be worth the money.

One thing I had read about VISTA and was looking forward to turned out to be a lie. I had read that it would boot up and down in just a few seconds. Ha! Even with 2 gigs of RAM and a dual core processor that does not happen.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Buffy

I have it on my laptop and I don't like it at all. It freezes up so easy!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Anybody using the new Microsoft VISTA operatong system?

I recently bought a new laptop with VISTA Basic and I am underwhelmed. So far I see zero advantages over Windows XP.

Is it because I only have the basic and not the premium or ultimate?

My understanding is that the premium and ultimate require a min of 1 gig RAM to operate so on computers like mine that only came with 512 mb RAM they can only put Vista basic on.

Now that I have upgraded my RAM to 2 gigs I could upgrade to VISTA premium but I don't know what the difference is and if it would be worth the money.

One thing I had read about VISTA and was looking forward to turned out to be a lie. I had read that it would boot up and down in just a few seconds. Ha! Even with 2 gigs of RAM and a dual core processor that does not happen.
I think the premium and other versions are like XP Pro to the XP home. And personally I always felt a gig was mandatory for Win XP too, but then again I don't just use PCs to get email
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Did you buy the Laptop with Vista or is it an upgrade?

Personally I will stick with XP for a while till they get all the bugs out of Vista
Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post

Personally I will stick with XP for a while till they get all the bugs out of Vista
I bought it with Vista installed.

I think the difference in Vista basic and premium or ultimate may be different than that between XP home and business or professional because when I read reviews of VISTA over the past year they kept talking about transparent windows with floating icons, etc that my basic does not have.

I have a feeling VISTA basic is basicly Windows XP with a few cosmetic differences and that is the only way they could get it to work with 512 mb ram.

I am guessing that with preimum or ultimate you get the fancier graphics,etc that require the additional RAM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Mine has locked up a few times also. Of course it wouldn't be Windows if it didn't!!!!!!!!!!!! We would think we owned Macs.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 PM

CC1, perhaps www.archlinux.com would make you happy.....
Old 04-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I bought it with Vista installed.

I think the difference in Vista basic and premium or ultimate may be different than that between XP home and business or professional because when I read reviews of VISTA over the past year they kept talking about transparent windows with floating icons, etc that my basic does not have.

I have a feeling VISTA basic is basicly Windows XP with a few cosmetic differences and that is the only way they could get it to work with 512 mb ram.

I am guessing that with preimum or ultimate you get the fancier graphics,etc that require the additional RAM.
No I think the basic DOES have the transparent window with floating icons....down by your start button should be some quick buttons or quick launch like you might have used on XP (I did)...there should be a button to put your windows (whatever program is open) to the background as floating links on the desktop. You may just have to tweek your settings
Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Honorary Admin

I have looked at Vista for months and resisted installing the beta. I think I made it through the early adopter-itis and now I don't think I'll upgrade until I get a new laptop next year sometime. It was difficult, but I think I'm happier without than I would be with it.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Buffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post

Came with Vista.