Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
ModeratelyConservativePro gresv

General Conference

I am told that St. Louis went into the whole very deeply to pay for GF this year and last year. I the numbers I heard were so unbelievable that I hesitate to mention them. How much did they go into the hole? Anybody know?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: General Conference

You're not true to your name, are you?

1. not harmful or injurious; harmless: an innocuous home remedy.
2. not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive; an innocuous remark.
3. not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid: an innocuous novel.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 12-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

one BEEEEEEELLION dollars.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meBNme View Post
one BEEEEEEELLION dollars.
Mawwww hawww hawww HAWW!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
ModeratelyConservativePro gresv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
You're not true to your name, are you?

1. not harmful or injurious; harmless: an innocuous home remedy.
2. not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive; an innocuous remark.
3. not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid: an innocuous novel.
???? I'm just asking a question. It concerns me that in times of economic uncertainty that money would be wasted like this. I'm not trying to start anything here. It's an honest, serious question. I was staggered by the figures I was given and want to know if others have heard the same thing. You're partially correct though, I'm definitely not insipid or pallid.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Well, I do not attend a UPC church so it is none of my business what the cost was. But, of course I'm nosy now that I've seen this thread.

Let's hope whoever authorized the cost believes that it is good stewardship with the money that God's people entrusted to the organization.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Up until they started charging registration they were losing around 500,000 thousand a year. Registration has brought it down to around 350,000 to 400,000 thousand dollars.

Future conferences will be held in venues that will not cost as much, once they get through the contracts that have already been signed.

To the credit of HQ, they currently have a committee that is evaluating the operations of WEC to recommend ways to be more efficient. It is very possible that programs and perhaps even divisions will be cut.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocuous View Post
I am told that St. Louis went into the whole very deeply to pay for GF this year and last year. I the numbers I heard were so unbelievable that I hesitate to mention them. How much did they go into the hole? Anybody know?
The terminology that you are using is needlessly negative. Gneral Conference is essentially a business meeting and a large scale promotional event. Why would it be expected to break even or make a profit? It would seem reasonable to view General Conference as an expense that is necessary for the function of the organization. Another major role of the conference is to unify and inspire the membership, something akin to a large scale corporate conference. National conferences promote a national identity, and without the General Conference the organization will eventually become a fragmented disconnected collection of fiefdoms.

Would corporate America talk about how much they went in the hole putting on a major sales conference, or a corporate retreat? General Conference brings together the target demographic for national promotions. Its value as a promotional meeting alone is worth a large part of the cost.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

How much is a soul worth?

General conference alone raises money that sends foreign and home missionaries into the field that otherwise may not go at all, or would take much much longer to go.

The souls that are reached as a result, are they worth the money spent?

If it were your soul that was saved, your life that was reached and changed, your marriage that was saved. Would you think it was worth it?

How many souls are reached as a result of the things that take place at the general conference?

How much is a soul worth?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanas View Post
The terminology that you are using is needlessly negative. Gneral Conference is essentially a business meeting and a large scale promotional event. Why would it be expected to break even or make a profit? It would seem reasonable to view General Conference as an expense that is necessary for the function of the organization. Another major role of the conference is to unify and inspire the membership, something akin to a large scale corporate conference. National conferences promote a national identity, and without the General Conference the organization will eventually become a fragmented disconnected collection of fiefdoms.

Would corporate America talk about how much they went in the hole putting on a major sales conference, or a corporate retreat? General Conference brings together the target demographic for national promotions. Its value as a promotional meeting alone is worth a large part of the cost.

I agree.

I think there should be a reasonable registration fee of $200 - $300 for the week, with an exception for free attendance to any biz meeting with voting, and the balance footed by headquarters.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves