Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Christmas 2009

Re: Restaurant Church caters to gays: Ex-UPCI past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehudslefthand View Post
I am making reference to Dony and Reba, the church at the start of this thread is definately gay, i do not know where the other thread went but i am still new here and am learning.
The following is from a Gay Christian Watch Website: (I assume they are factual):

I had to tell ya’ll about my experience this past weekend in Long Beach, CA. My partner and I have only been out a little over a year to our friends and family, and we have gotten involved in a GLBT [gay] church in Houston, TX. They make an annual trek to Long Beach every year for this conference, and I was amazed and astonished at the people they had for speakers One was Peggy Campolo, who unabashedly supports gay rights and has for years. Her husband, Tony, does not however. They had Don Milam, a Christian publisher, who over the past 10 years or so, has been brought to a deeper understanding of God’s grace and how the church has failed in showing it to gays and lesbians. His granddaughter came out about a year ago, and he was put into contact with the pastor( Sandy Turnbull) of Glory Tabernacle Christian Center in Long Beach, where the conference is held, and she helped him come to grips with his granddaughter’s lesbianism. Since then, he has written and spoken about his revelation of God’s anointing of gay Christians. Last but certainly not least, Dony McGuire and Reba Rambo-McGuire and their children, Destiny and Israel, provided the praise and worship. I remember Reba Rambo singing with her parents Buck and Dottie Rambo in my teens. For her and her husband to sing in a gay church, and conference was astounding. The most moving and beautiful things at this conference was Saturday night, when Dony McGuire and Reba Rambo invited all the pastors of gay churches that were there, to come up on the stage, remove their shoes and he and his wife, personally washed their feet apologizing for the years he and his wife, and the Christian church at large had thrown stones , maligned God’s work in Gay churches, and had excluded and thrown out these pastors and their congregations. He and Reba wept as they washed and kissed the feet of these pastors. He said that over the past year, his church has gone through some tough times because he has invited gay people to come in and welcomed them. Several members have left and he has caught a bunch of flack (sp?) because of his inclusion of GLBT people into his church. Needless to say it was a wonderful experience, and I left with hope that maybe the straight churches are slowly coming around and seeing that God is moving mightily in gay churches.

The poster continued:

Reba Rambo is the daughter of Buck and Dottie Rambo, who were Southern Gospel music giants. They were popular among that crowd of people who enjoyed that music. It is not surprising that a lot of people don’t know who they are. The only reason I know who she is, is because I grew up listening to her parents’ music, as well as a lot of other Southern Gospel singers. Reba married Dony McGuire, another singer in that genre, and they more or less left that genre, to pursue a more evangelistic ministry and now have a church in Nashville, called The River.

When I heard that she and her husband had begun a minsitry to GLBT people, it floored me because of her roots. Equally, I was floored to see that Cynthia Clawson and her husband, Ragan Courtney, ( Christian singers and songwriters) support GLBT rights. I told Reba at the conference that my parents had not spoken to me since coming out, and she cried. The foot washing she and her husband did was in no small way one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Christmas 2009

BUMP for EHUD
Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Are we supposed to be shocked?

Surprised?

Angry?
I'm not!
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Oneness Man

We all have choices we make and if we make the wrong choices, then that will determine where we will spend eternity. I believe that there will be homosexuals being saved and turning from their perverse lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Praise the Lord and pass the menu, please

In Indiana Bible Belt, restaurant-church catering to gays

By Ron Grossman
Tribune reporter
June 1, 2008

LA PORTE, Ind. — Some first-time visitors to Holy Macaroni pass through an entrance hall separating its sanctuary and dining room, glance at a display of local newspaper notices, turn on their heels and leave.

Apparently they weren't prepared to find the buildind contains not only the Italian restaurant but a gay-friendly church, both of them operated by co-chefs, co-pastors and lovers Randy Duncan and Daniel Wright.

The religious side of the enterprise is the New Life Community Church of Hope, a "gay-affirming" Christian ministry that recently celebrated its 10th anniversary.

Sunday services here, which draw about 40 to 50 people, show that when Duncan left the United Pentecostal Church he took with him the denomination's enthusiastic approach to prayer. These are foot-stomping, hand-waving events accompanied by an electric organ, keyboard piano and a full set of drums.

The congregation is based on the premise that gay men and women could be spared the pain its pastors knew in other, more conservative religious groups.

Duncan says he had crushes on boys from the age of 10 or 11 but tried to live a heterosexual life, in part because of his strong religious beliefs. He married twice, became a father and was ordained in the United Pentecostal Church.

Eventually, however, Duncan said the tension between his sexual identity and the denomination's condemnation of homosexuality became untenable, and in 1996 he divorced his wife and left his pastorate.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-holy-macaroni_bd01jun01,0,5713402.story