Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Self Help Book Suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingOne View Post
Did the wife finally come to her senses? Did Homestead Heritage finally just tell her that she would have to leave her husband if she wanted to continue to go to Friday night meetings?

Also, they don't live in Waco, so they are free from daily reminders - running into everyone at every turn every day. They also do not have family members still there that they are not allowed to see and talk to.
JWs do the same thing. For me running into them around town would not bother me. In fact that would be an opportunity to show them what the love of Christ is really about.

However the husband/wife situation is bad and unbiblical

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:59 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingOne View Post
Did the wife finally come to her senses? Did Homestead Heritage finally just tell her that she would have to leave her husband if she wanted to continue to go to Friday night meetings?

Also, they don't live in Waco, so they are free from daily reminders - running into everyone at every turn every day. They also do not have family members still there that they are not allowed to see and talk to.
Don't know how it transpired, but she seems to be very happy now, the girls also seem to be fitting in, though the still dress very conservative, uncut hair and all.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
Yes, I knew it was in Texas.... but is it a set-up like Homestead?
No, a UPC church that went off the deep end, then were disfellowshipped, I believe. http://www.faithchurch.us/
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 10-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I would suggest reading the Bible but in a newer translation/version.
The Living Bible is an older version but I personally still consider it a good one.
I just like the way Ken Taylor expresses some stuff.
The New Living Translation is good.

I'm not really KJV only but I basically judge everything by the KJV.
I like the NKJV because it is so much like the KJV but without some of the archaic terms.

The reason I would recommend a newer translation is because when reading the KJV the person would just hear some of the old condemnation and guilt trips echoed in the wording of the KJV.
This helped a LOT! Thanks for the suggestion. I am reading from an unusual translation too. I helps to not hear the verses quoted so often that pushed their agenda when we read.

It is hard to explain unless you have been there. It's like, some come to this forum and argue what different Bible verses mean, right? Well in a cult they use the Bible too. And just like people here, they have their own interpretation of scriptures. THAT is why when we get out we don't know truth from a lie. Some scriptures are not left for interpretation, like "do not commit adultery" but so many other doctrinal scriptures are interpretive. And boy can they be twisted this way and that.

So when you get a church that believes they are Jesus in the flesh and that they have a special light that others haven't received yet, using scripture to back up what they believe, it is dangerous. I am telling you, they use scripture so well that lawyers, doctors, college professors are sucked in.

Anyway, to be able to sit and read without "hearing" what we have been told it means helps a lot. Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I just read this thread.

How sad.

My former pastor retired, the new pastor was installed and this new pastor promptly told the members that they were no longer to have any contact with the former pastor. They couldn't call him to wish him a happy birthday, anniversary, say hi how are you doing?
The new pastor also told the retiring pastor he and his wife could no longer have any contact with the former members either.
In effect they booted the pastor and his wife from the church.
What a crushing blow that was and still is to this wonderful man of God and his wife.
I told the retiring pastor the new pastor must have a spiritual death wish.

What's wrong with some people????