Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Follower of Jesus

Re: How wide is the effect of forums in Pentecost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Yeah ... these men don't realize that they can no longer monopolize the hearts and minds of people.

My pastor last nite ... floored me when he said ... and I paraphrase.

If I teach something ... go home study and consult w/ God. If I'm wrong ...DON'T OBEY ME. If I'm right .... follow me as I follow Christ.

He's been in Apostolic ministry for over 50 years ... and has morphed into someone who is confident enough to make such a statement.
I have always made that statement in every ministry that I have been involved in.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
That is awesome!! I say that all the time. I didn't used to be able to say that though. I just wanted people to OBEY me because I demanded it. After all, I was the one wielding the SWORD!!! What a FOOL I was!!

I know I've said this a bazillion times, but I've exchanged my sword for a towel and now I can't believe how much more authority I have.

The TOWEL IS mightier than the sword!!!
He expressed his role as servant last night also ... He does not want to lord over the sheep.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
That is awesome!! I say that all the time. I didn't used to be able to say that though. I just wanted people to OBEY me because I demanded it. After all, I was the one wielding the SWORD!!! What a FOOL I was!!

I know I've said this a bazillion times, but I've exchanged my sword for a towel and now I can't believe how much more authority I have.

The TOWEL IS mightier than the sword!!!
Keith says it too!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
Keith says it too!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Keith says it too!
Eddie does too!!! Where two or three agree..........
Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Wow that is powerful! I was interested if that was really true--

I was leaning more to thinking it was a combination of life events and forum life that would effect change in ones thinking.
I'm a unique case. lol Ok, maybe not that unique really. I'd been out of church, away from God, for 8 years. I walked into a little Apostolic church the first Sunday of June and found GNC less than two weeks later. From there, I found AFF. I'd been a practicing witch for 6 years. There's far more to what I've walked away from. Some here have impacted my life a lot. Some more than others. Real life has had some impact on where I am, but really these forums are where I searched out the questions to ask, found some of the answers here too. Most of all, I have found myself deeply in love with God again. Knowing where I came from, I'm not sure I would have found my way to this place without forums.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Eddie does too!!! Where two or three agree..........
My pastor does as well.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Senor Gunsmoke

Quote:
The events of the last few months, in my opinion, have shown that forums like CAF, Wordshare, AFF and SynaD are having an effect in the politics of organizations and in the hearts of Oneness Pentecostals.

Am I being farsighted?

Just recently a friend said that a conservative forum specifically and forums in general were called "garbage" at a ministerial meeting.

It was interesting to see the WWPF react to forum discussions on their website.

What say ye???
I think this is a timely and excellent question.

There is no doubting the impact online conversation has made on recent events in our movement. In fact, I would go as far to say that online forums are a preferred method of communication among twenty-first century leaders in Oneness Pentecostalism.

I know that minister's posts have been used against them in board rooms. There have also been occurences where owners of forums have exposed anonymous poster's identities in the hopes of silencing them. These same owners have threatened livelihoods, ministries - and even the families of posters with whom they have ideological differences.

In short, these folks have the mistaken impression they can stifle free speech. They believe that forums are like their church. A church where they can threaten and intimidate parishioners with shunning, disfellowship or worse.

Examples:

rrford is banned from a forum because he dared disagree with a position the owner held. rrford? The man is one of the most conservative and balanced men in the movement.

The owners of Wordshare are blasted from the pulpit of a District meeting. The guest speaker at the conference rails at them, stating that maybe the owner should go offline so that he could build his church past an attendance of thirty.

I could go on and get even more personal, but it would accomplish nothing.

The bottom line is that forums do make a difference. Lives are changed, Views are changed. This is a battle for hearts and minds.

That is why it is so important to measure what we say carefully. There are some visitors here who may not be as immersed in OP culture as others

I will not be what I am.

The friendships being forged on these forums also have been life-chainging ... take Darcie and Sherri ... for example.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
The friendships being forged on these forums also have been life-chainging ... take Darcie and Sherri ... for example.
True....and Keith and Jeanie came to visit us too, and Thad came by. So have the Alvears. I have learned to love a lot of people on here!