Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-27-2024, 06:36 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: What saith the Prophets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Just don't be on the wrong end of this book, and all will be well...

I got a kick out of the UPCI Bible tract for Preterism.

Write the book they said, it will make people stay away from the eschatology they said.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I got a kick out of the UPCI Bible tract for Preterism.

Write the book they said, it will make people stay away from the eschatology they said.
I remember reading the book, being taken in by the strawmen arguments when I was a newer convert. And now, though I don't care for labels, these many years later, I am a preterist.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 08-27-2024, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Since when?
For as long as I know.
"The entirety of Your word is truth" (Ps 119:160)
Old 08-27-2024, 07:09 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Yes, and no. There are some types of eschatology they would reject as being not inline with their core faith.
All eschatologies don't reject the core faith of Christianity.

But not all eschatologies cater to Zionism.

Quote:
No, you can be pre, mid, post trib and be licensed in the UPCI. There is also room for historicism as far as I know.
I remember years ago, Bishop Kenneth Haney blasted historicism from a GC pulpit. To be totally fair to the elder, I believe he just misspoke. He probably wanted to say Preterism, but couldn't pronounce the word. I mean no respect to the elder. Back in the day, I met many individuals who couldn't pronounce eschatology, let alone Preterism.

Quote:
There is nothing in the Articles of Faith that says you must believe in 7 years trib and stuff like that.
That's because they couldn't agree on whether it was 3 1/2 years, or 7. I think Elder S. G. Norris believed in 14 year tribulation.

Quote:
As long as you believe in the literal return of Christ, the resurrection, the worsening of tribulation upon the earth, the millennium, and the final judgment, you can be licensed. Other organizations are more lax in this and would license someone as long as they believe in the literal return of Christ and the resurrection, ... not needing that you believe in a literal millennium, or future worsening of tribulation.
So much for believing in an End Time Revival. If your house is going to be demolished why flush the toilet?
Old 08-27-2024, 07:13 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I remember reading the book, being taken in by the strawmen arguments when I was a newer convert. And now, though I don't care for labels, these many years later, I am a preterist.

Old 08-27-2024, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
That's because they couldn't agree on whether it was 3 1/2 years, or 7. I think Elder S. G. Norris believed in 14 year tribulation.
Correct. My wife attended ABI and received an Associate Degree in Theology 2007.

The 14 year view was taught to her and the rest of her classmates at the time. She threw a fit and wrote a thesis refuting the 14 year view. The campus president (and also son in law to S.G. Norris), who was also the pastor of the church there, refused to give her a grade and demanded she re-write the thesis from the 14 year tribulation point of view "to prove she understood the material" in order to receive a grade.

She bit her tongue and did it just to pass the class.

Other professors there refused to offer their views to students, denying whether they agreed or disagreed with the teaching. After my wife was gone, she heard rumblings that someone from the student body tried to get UPCI headquarters involved in order to get the school to stop teaching the view.

What became of that I never heard and have no idea what's being taught there now.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 08-27-2024, 07:30 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Correct. My wife attended ABI and received an Associate Degree in Theology 2007.

The 14 year view was taught to her and the rest of her classmates at the time. She threw a fit and wrote a thesis refuting the 14 year view. The campus president (and also son in law to S.G. Norris), who was also the pastor of the church there, refused to give her a grade and demanded she re-write the thesis from the 14 year tribulation point of view "to prove she understood the material" in order to receive a grade.

She bit her tongue and did it just to pass the class.

Other professors there refused to offer their views to students, denying whether they agreed or disagreed with the teaching. After my wife was gone, she heard rumblings that someone from the student body tried to get UPCI headquarters involved in order to get the school to stop teaching the view.

What became of that I never heard and have no idea what's being taught there now.
At least your wife gave the effort to refute such humbug.
Old 08-30-2024, 04:33 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Yes, and no. There are some types of eschatology they would reject as being not inline with their core faith.

No, you can be pre, mid, post trib and be licensed in the UPCI. There is also room for historicism as far as I know. There is nothing in the Articles of Faith that says you must believe in 7 years trib and stuff like that. As long as you believe in the literal return of Christ, the resurrection, the worsening of tribulation upon the earth, the millennium, and the final judgment, you can be licensed. Other organizations are more lax in this and would license someone as long as they believe in the literal return of Christ and the resurrection, ... not needing that you believe in a literal millennium, or future worsening of tribulation.
I was looking for the UPCI Articles of Faith but instead i found this ----> https://upci.org/our-beliefs/ which is about as vague and bland as a Oneness Pentecostal organization can get, in my opinion.

It appears the ALJC officially holds to pretrib rapture belief ----> https://aljc.org/articles-of-faith/

BTW, what's with churches now having their "What We Believe" page consisting of a bunch of drop down menus? What happened to just putting it all in one page? Trying to hinder people from copying things to repost on the internet for discussion?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-30-2024, 06:32 PM
New User

E,

Everyone wants to appear to be seeker friendly.

That is not the AOF of the UPCI as far as I can tell.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:34 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
E,

Everyone wants to appear to be seeker friendly.

That is not the AOF of the UPCI as far as I can tell.
I believe you are correct.

Would you say it's marketing?