Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Praying in the alters

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
Altar calls are not a UPC invention. I don't like baptist altar calls either.
As if I said they were? Duh I just got finished speaking of my old grandfather and the Methodists having altar calls. Whewww that went way over your hnead didn't it?

Quote:
I didn't say I had a problem with prayer time.
Altar calls. Altar calls are PRAYER TIME

Quote:
Many UPC churches skip over the altar call and now just have everyone come up to the front to pray.
That's an ALTAR CALL

Quote:
And Prax, just because I am jaded toward certain things in my past does not mean that I don't love God and love people and love sharing the gospel. You know better.
You know better than to lie and put words in my mouthl. I never said one word about your love for God or people....be ashamed! bad boy!

But thank you for admitting your problem is you are jaded...still. Poor thing

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I actually have nothing against alter calls -for others. I just personally greatly prefer to pray in private and by myself. And yes, I remember some altar 'hazing' going on in the days based entirely on your clothing/hair and any rumors circulating about you at the time.
EVERYONE should prayu in private and by themselves. But sometimes the church prays collectively and sometimes people want someone else to pray with them, if not for anything other than to know others care for them

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
GET IT RIGHT!

Re: Praying in the altars

I'd rather have an old fashioned altar call with someone praying for me than some weak, lame, watered down, meet me down front, now I lay me down to sleep type of prayer time where everyone is afraid to touch me.

Thats how I feel about it based on my experiences.

Its amazing what people will complain about or take issue with.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
EVERYONE should prayu in private and by themselves. But sometimes the church prays collectively and sometimes people want someone else to pray with them, if not for anything other than to know others care for them

....and there is nothing wrong with praying collectively. I simply have no desire to be SEEN praying by my fellow man and others have no right to know what I am praying about either. If someone wishes to pray with me, they are more then welcome (and it is in fact appreciated) but from where they stand or sit.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRev View Post
I'd rather have an old fashioned altar call with someone praying for me than some weak, lame, watered down, meet me down front, now I lay me down to sleep type of prayer time where everyone is afraid to touch me.

Thats how I feel about it based on my experiences.

Its amazing what people will complain about or take issue with.
God listens to those
Quote:
some weak, lame, watered down, meet me down front, now I lay me down to sleep type of prayer time where everyone is afraid to touch me.
Prayers to.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

What is weak about the prayer? Is it weak because the person isn't whaling or groaning?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM

When I was a senior in h.s. I made a trip to Texas to attend my grandfather's funeral. When I attended church upon returning home one of the ministers prayed with me as if I had backslid for 2 weeks.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
What is weak about the prayer? Is it weak because the person isn't whaling or groaning?
probably how some view it,
Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Wearing jeans to church was a sure sign that something was wrong! May get a pass on a mid week service, but you'd get prayed through real good if you wore jeans to a Sunday service, especially if it was the evening service.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Wearing jeans to church was a sure sign that something was wrong! May get a pass on a mid week service, but you'd get prayed through real good if you wore jeans to a Sunday service, especially if it was the evening service.
man i wore jeans to both services last sunday... i didnt get the royal treatment.

however there was a time i was up at the alter praying with other people and they were all in suits and i was in Jeans.

after the service a lady felt lead to ask me if i had any suits, cause if not she could get me some tailor made..