Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
Agape, if you save as OGG format it is the quickest and it will convert to MP3 faster for the OGG is native. To make smaller files, choose a smaller wavelength. 128 as opposed to 192 will shorten the size considerably.

Audacity is open source and works great. We had the blessing of finding a pair of 1 GIG memory sticks in a yard sale for $10, and we have a 30 or 40 GIG drive so large files are not a worry for our sound. We have 100% eliminated tapes.
lol....and the sticks were still good? I think for hardware like that I'd prefer new though I always like a good deal. We have two gigs, really fast too. Came with the heat splitters too. Audacity does it all for us, though we have other stuff, some freebies that came with our sound card, but we never use them. I use Nero to split the track for recording to a CD. Audacity can do that too, but honestly I don't want to have all those files lying around. With Nero it does it on the fly and does not physically store multiple mp3 files for one message.

I wish I had something that was more automated though. With Nero I have to wait for the entire file to "que" up before adding the indexes where I will split them. You can save a template for that file, but I wish I had a one size fits all template so I don't have to wait for que

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

so OGG is in the audacity file??? can I convert straight to MP3 from OGG without having to download LAME??
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAPE View Post
so OGG is in the audacity file??? can I convert straight to MP3 from OGG without having to download LAME??
If you are using Audacity you still need the lame encoder....why not just download it? OGG is already a part of Audacity.

To set the sample rates etc etc hit cntl-P

There you set up default device to record and playback, how many channels and quality.

You can reduce the sample rate which will also reduce file size, you can reduce sample format to 16bit. The you can choose uncompressed file format (when Audacity is recording in it's native format before exporting) and OGG quality as well as bit rate for MP3....

I have the lame encoder at church if you can't find it

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
lol....and the sticks were still good? I think for hardware like that I'd prefer new though I always like a good deal.
The wife sold the hubby's stuff and did not know what to price them.... they were well worth even $100 for the pair at the time!

Thank you Jesus and thank you Mrs Lady who was happy to rid some junk in a yardsale!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
The wife sold the hubby's stuff and did not know what to price them.... they were well worth even $100 for the pair at the time!

Thank you Jesus and thank you Mrs Lady who was happy to rid some junk in a yardsale!
lol

Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are using Audacity you still need the lame encoder....why not just download it? OGG is already a part of Audacity.

To set the sample rates etc etc hit cntl-P

There you set up default device to record and playback, how many channels and quality.

You can reduce the sample rate which will also reduce file size, you can reduce sample format to 16bit. The you can choose uncompressed file format (when Audacity is recording in it's native format before exporting) and OGG quality as well as bit rate for MP3....

I have the lame encoder at church if you can't find it

did a test copy to ogg last night and it did fine....can't find the lame stuff....you got a website??
Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Go Dodgers!

Do you have winamp? Do a search for "lame" on your PC and see if it is already there. If so what you do, is go to audacity/cntr-P/fileformat/mp3 export set up and click find library...then browse to where the lame_enc.dll file is. That is all.

Otherwise here is the zip file...bah 97.7 kb is too small for a zip file...whats the point?

Ok...Ill point you...there is an exe in it but not sure if you have to run it...you might just be able to unzip it then point to the dll in audacity
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_...hp?d=2762&s=22

There...download that. All you really need is the DLL...it will work with audacity and other players like Winamp

Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Does this thing have any cleaning capabilities such as taking out the 'popping' noise in recorded cassettes? Does it eat up a bunch of memory? We seem to have plenty of memory but even the program we have demands massive amounts of memory when it's working.

I may need to check this out as we're always trying something a little better.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Does this thing have any cleaning capabilities such as taking out the 'popping' noise in recorded cassettes? Does it eat up a bunch of memory? We seem to have plenty of memory but even the program we have demands massive amounts of memory when it's working.

I may need to check this out as we're always trying something a little better.
Is not a memory hog, but does great on recording. There might be a plug in for "cleaning" but a lot of your CD burning applications come with that ability already.

You can record several tracks at once. It will accept a bunch of plug ins you can find on the net.

Nero will do the cleaning stuff

Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have winamp? Do a search for "lame" on your PC and see if it is already there. If so what you do, is go to audacity/cntr-P/fileformat/mp3 export set up and click find library...then browse to where the lame_enc.dll file is. That is all.

Otherwise here is the zip file...bah 97.7 kb is too small for a zip file...whats the point?

Ok...Ill point you...there is an exe in it but not sure if you have to run it...you might just be able to unzip it then point to the dll in audacity
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_...hp?d=2762&s=22

There...download that. All you really need is the DLL...it will work with audacity and other players like Winamp
Thanks...I downloaded Lame...
Thanks