Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Re: Do u allow Running,Shouting,Dancing in your ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
I agree with you about it being wrong to say someone is not right with God if they don't shout BUT I don't believe you can definitively say the NT believers didn't shout. Jewish worship in the psalms included shouting and clapping and making a loud noise and playing on musical instruments. All of the early church were Jews starting out. We are given absolutely no indication that they changed their style of worship after the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost.

The same Jewish "worship" you are using to justify shouting was organized, syncrhonized dancing that old time Pentecostals oppose. It was not people flinging themselves around in a frenzy.

Oh a few sneak a little bit in with "motions" or the latest rage "signing" to songs but just try to do a little organized synchronized dancing and see how far you get! (the POA's do get away with it in their Easter musical but not a regular service).
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
I agree with you about it being wrong to say someone is not right with God if they don't shout BUT I don't believe you can definitively say the NT believers didn't shout. Jewish worship in the psalms included shouting and clapping and making a loud noise and playing on musical instruments. All of the early church were Jews starting out. We are given absolutely no indication that they changed their style of worship after the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost.
Right. I think CC1 does not see a barn burner Sunday night hoedown in the Jewish worship of the psalms.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Ezra 3:11 And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Live like it.

I studied out all the hebrew words for "Praise" once... don't ask me now though...
Many of my brain cells went out with the umbilical cord.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Im still waiting on someone to show me that all mighty annointing that gives them God like arrogance to think they can look at one and place the judgement label on them that says "Of God" and "Not of God"...

If you believe your one of these annointed ones please send contact info. I have a bottle of "hell proof water" I wanna sell ya.

PREACH IT !!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
The same Jewish "worship" you are using to justify shouting was organized, syncrhonized dancing that old time Pentecostals oppose. It was not people flinging themselves around in a frenzy.

Oh a few sneak a little bit in with "motions" or the latest rage "signing" to songs but just try to do a little organized synchronized dancing and see how far you get! (the POA's do get away with it in their Easter musical but not a regular service).
CC1, I'm not talking about people flinging themselves around in a frenzy! I've shouted to the Lord while standing in front of my seat with my hands lifted up to Him. Just standing there, not flinging, not running, not rolling etc etc.

You're starting to sound like Micah, David's wife, the daughter of Saul.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
CC1, I'm not talking about people flinging themselves around in a frenzy! I've shouted to the Lord while standing in front of my seat with my hands lifted up to Him.
I've heard it said before, and I don't always agree with cliche's but this is one I agree wholeheartedly with.

If you can go to a ball game and lift up your voice in a cheer for your team, but you cannot lift your voice up occasionally, in Praise to the God who is keeping your butt out of hell, breath in your lungs, and an eternity with Him...
Something might be a bit off.

Now if you go to ball games or whathaveyou and you never cheer or raise your voice, you don't apply in this analogy.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I believe in freedom of worship. I just know what it is and what it isn't! I like to raise my hands in worship,etc.

I don't mind people getting excited and happy. What I don't like is people equating people doing the helicopter or jerk or twich with spirituality, etc.

I have seen pure devils shout their hair down and it didn't affect one bit of their behavioiur Mon-Saturday.

Worship can become what is worshipped.

When I hear someone chanting or screaming "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" over and over again (usually sounds like "Jeezuz, Jeez, Jeezuz....") rapidly and loudly it fits the decription of vain repetitions more than worship.

Everybody should worship God as they see fit and feel comfortable. Just don't make the extra biblical "shouting" some kind of measurement of spirituality or requirement.

And don't confuse getting your groove on from that jamming Hammond B3 and licks from the bass guitar with the Holy Spirit making you move.
Let God judge the Praise, not you.

It's funny how some of you folk that say old time Pentecost
is Judgmental but as soon as someone worships in a way
that you decide to mock, you become the very thing that
you condemn others for.

Unless it is demonic, dangerous or detructive, Let God and
the ministry decide what's acceptable and what is not
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 PM

I hate it when people run in church. I will say I haven't seen anyone do it, anywhere other than youth convention and camps, in a very, very long time.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
How does the Bible define praise, CC1?
I don't think the Bible gives a single definition of praise but then of course praise is the english word used by the translators so one would look to what the english meaning is of the word and the latin that it is derived from.

Praise comes from the Latin pretium, "price", or "value" and may be generally defined as an ascripton of value or worth. When God is the object of praise, as He is in the Bible, there are several modes of praise demonstrated in Scripture.

I believe it is clear that the main mode of praise in Scripture is by ones mouth. Words that exalt God in speaking and also exalting God in word through singing. That is repeatedly demonstrated in the Bible. Shouting in the old time Pentecostal sense is nowhere in Scripture as a mode of praise.