Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Re: Do you feel at all responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
I think it's a valid question, actually. I hope we aren't raising children in the church who are taught to treat homosexual sinners differently than adulterous sinners. I hope we aren't raising children who would have a cup of coffee with a chronic liar, but would look with disdain upon a lesbian.

What you create is a culture where mistreatment of a certain type of sinner is acceptable and even viewed as humorous.

WWJD? Not that, I'm pretty sure.

EVERY sinner needs a positive encounter with Christ. e.g., they need positive encounters with Christians. Positive influence does not equal acceptance of sin, no matter how some would love to twist it that way.

Berk,

Do you ever hear snide remarks, disdainful or disgusted comments or name calling from Christians about homosexuals? I do. I've known Apostolic children to use the "f_g" word, which is completely off limits as an obscenity as our home. Where do they learn that it's acceptable to use that kind of terminology? Mostly from their parents.
Personally, I've never been told to my face. But I am aware that while I was still attending church things were said behind my back on more than one occasion. My children, when they were preteens, were publicly taunted by their friends in the church. There was no way those children could have known unless their parents had told them.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Berk,

Do you ever hear snide remarks, disdainful or disgusted comments or name calling from Christians about homosexuals? I do. I've known Apostolic children to use the "f_g" word, which is completely off limits as an obscenity as our home. Where do they learn that it's acceptable to use that kind of terminology? Mostly from their parents.
I do. I hear it *all the time*. It's part of why I attended church for so long before I told anyone. It's part of why I left the UPC I attended at first.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Margie, I'd say that I don't feel personally responsible because we have been very adamant with our kids about treating people with kindness no matter who or *what* they are. Our kids know what sin is, but knowing that someone is sinful doesn't give them leave to beat the sinner over the head with the truth.

And you know the kind of people who lead our church! There's no way PD/SD or KT/PT would ever endorse being rude or mean to someone because they're homosexual. It's simply not necessary to be mean in order to share the truth with people.

Furthermore, the types of situations in the news go beyond even basic mockery; they are acts of cruelty on the parts of ignorant, malicious young people, and IMO those perpetrators should be dealt with through the legal system. My personal theory is that bullies learn that kind of behavior at home.
Thanks for this, Miss Bratt. I agree. I don't feel PERSONALLY responsible. When I started this thread, it wasn't to point fingers or to make accusations. It was just so we could take a minute to challenge ourselves to make sure that we are behaving the way that we should. IF we were among those who "made-fun" or called names, then we should feel a sense of responsibility. If not, then it's no big deal.

On the other hand, is treating others with kindness and respect enough? SHOULD we be reaching out in friendship? I don't know the answer. I think every situation is probably different. But I do think that if God seemed to be opening a door for us to reach out in friendship to a person who is homosexual, but we refuse to do it, then yes, we do bare a portion of the blame. God has called us to be a LIGHT. I can be a friend without condoning the lifestyle. Shoot - I have friends who are "living together". They're still my friends, but they know I cannot condone that sin.

Anyhow, there's my ramblings for the night

(by the way, MissB, I think you have the best pastoral staff anyone could ever have!! Feel free to let them know I said that. LOL)
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Thanks for this, Miss Bratt. I agree. I don't feel PERSONALLY responsible. When I started this thread, it wasn't to point fingers or to make accusations. It was just so we could take a minute to challenge ourselves to make sure that we are behaving the way that we should. IF we were among those who "made-fun" or called names, then we should feel a sense of responsibility. If not, then it's no big deal.

On the other hand, is treating others with kindness and respect enough? SHOULD we be reaching out in friendship? I don't know the answer. I think every situation is probably different. But I do think that if God seemed to be opening a door for us to reach out in friendship to a person who is homosexual, but we refuse to do it, then yes, we do bare a portion of the blame. God has called us to be a LIGHT. I can be a friend without condoning the lifestyle. Shoot - I have friends who are "living together". They're still my friends, but they know I cannot condone that sin.

Anyhow, there's my ramblings for the night

(by the way, MissB, I think you have the best pastoral staff anyone could ever have!! Feel free to let them know I said that. LOL)
I agree; we need to check ourselves. It's a good point to bring up.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road