Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Re: Jeez ... we're going to spiritualize clothes t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
Surely this man is someone's baby.

But he's a "man" and not a "kid." Also, he's clearly made up to fit the role of a spoof - or if it was originally a "serious" pose and get up, then it's ripe for spoofing. The whole pic says "campiness."

I admit that it's a fine point. The girls in the pic were obviously having fun too. They were mugging and being silly - it was a "fun" pose. But they're kids within a very tiny subset of our broader culture. I don't recognize any of them, but I've probably interacted with their parents at some level "back in the day."

Mine was just an observation and a nit picking of the various uses of pics for lampoons and parodies. A pic of DKB is fair use because he's a "public figure." A pic of his kids - not so much. That kind of thing.

And I do really like this current spoof. It touches on the themes under discussion and the "headlines" are worded in that clipped style, only with jargon that is familiar to "us." It stands out as "well done."

Last edited by pelathais; 06-23-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I think she has it backwards. The spirit of rebellion is what got her started into the "goth" world. That same spirit started in the Garden of Eden. Eve decided to rebel against God, and sin followed.
That woman that Thou gavesth me !!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
My mom told me once that when maxi skirts were popular in the '70s, preachers in our area preached against them. It was "trying to look like the world", never mind that they were long and modest. Weird.

You know what really annoys me about standards? The letter and not the spirit of the law. Certain family members think I'm "charismatic" because I have no objection to make-up and jewelry (though I don't wear either), but no one seems to see anything wrong with the women with long skirts and sleeves whose clothes are too tight or accentuate certain areas in an immodest way. Or how about the hours and $$ spent on that hair and shopping for brand-name clothes and expensive purses and shoes? How is that more modest than affordable, lady-like make-up or jewelry?
But I'm "rebellious".
They're fine - they meet "the rules". Talk about missing the point...
Can someone help me down off this soapbox before I really get started?
You need adose of witch hazel J/K
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Re: Really... we're going to spiritualize clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
I liked the covers!
Yeah, but you're a frog. You like bugs.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
That woman that Thou gavesth me !!!!
whut
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV