Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Wheat and the Tares

We were studying this lesson in "Church in the House" on Wed night. This lesson was provided by the pastor and in the end result the objectives were kind of confusing.

The discussion surrounded how there could be tares in the church.

I really don't understand this concept because number one, the tare could never ever change the DNA of the wheat such that the wheat could become a tare, and vice versa.

Also, how on earth can we be the judge to determine exactly who is a wheat and a tare in the church, especially considering the pognancy that wheat and tares look exactly the same as they grow and can and will only be separated at the threashing floor.

This entire lesson skirted the concept of once saved always saved and the whole thing was actually kind of confusing.

I love church in the house, it is the only place I am allowed to lead worship, and what awesome worship it was last week!!!

I think we may be the only group that gets to have live music.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 PM

This thread is on its way out, so I thought add a few words I would make it interesting...ya know, maybe give it a little more life.

UPC TV RESOLUTION!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post

Also, how on earth can we be the judge to determine exactly who is a wheat and a tare in the church, especially considering the pognancy that wheat and tares look exactly the same as they grow and can and will only be separated at the threashing floor.
I thought the whole point was that God determines who is a wheat and a tare and we are to mind our own business and not judge others.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

My understanding of tare that it means morally harmful or corrupting; darnel.

Darnel is false grain having flat leaves and terminal spikes. That false grain, if it is left to mix with the wheat will eventually cause division and ruin the crop.

It doesn't answer your questions, but it's all I have from my study...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post

Darnel is false grain having flat leaves and terminal spikes. That false grain, if it is left to mix with the wheat will eventually cause division and ruin the crop.

Maybe what you say is true, but the context in the bible doesn't make that reference. The bible says that the two have to be allowed to grow together because removing the bad one will result in ruining the good one and separation is done on the threashing floor.

The point being, that a tare can never ever change or convince the wheat into becoming a tare, therefore why must we be wary of tares being in the church, because really there is nothing we can do about them, and maybe it is a misapplication of the parable Jesus told.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Traveling the Road of Infraction ......

It does not say, in that parable, that the tares are in the church, it says that they grow together in the field (and the parable is explained that the field is the WORLD). Therefore in the WORLD there are tares and wheat growing together and will until God harvests the wheat from the world.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe what you say is true, but the context in the bible doesn't make that reference. The bible says that the two have to be allowed to grow together because removing the bad one will result in ruining the good one and separation is done on the threashing floor.

The point being, that a tare can never ever change or convince the wheat into becoming a tare, therefore why must we be wary of tares being in the church, because really there is nothing we can do about them, and maybe it is a misapplication of the parable Jesus told.
This is just what I found several years ago when researching this, and I can't even remember where I found this. The info was in one of my documents, so I had it at hand.

My understand is that the Lord will do the separating, and we don't have to wait until the final judgment for it to happen.

That false grain is going to be there, Carp...anywhere we have people we have the possiblility of a tare in the midst.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymis View Post
It does not say, in that parable, that the tares are in the church, it says that they grow together in the field (and the parable is explained that the field is the WORLD). Therefore in the WORLD there are tares and wheat growing together and will until God harvests the wheat from the world.
Exactly right! However we hear and have heard for years and years how we are to be wary of tares in the church, and that was a question written by the pastor to those participating in the home group.

When I and others got a chance to really look at the scripture and parable, it seemed to me to be a misapplication of the parable in that context, because most everyone agreed that we are not the ones (based on the parable and of course common sense), that should be judging or doing the separating.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
We were studying this lesson in "Church in the House" on Wed night. This lesson was provided by the pastor and in the end result the objectives were kind of confusing.

I really don't understand this concept because number one, the tare could never ever change the DNA of the wheat such that the wheat could become a tare, and vice versa.

This entire lesson skirted the concept of once saved always saved and the whole thing was actually kind of confusing.

I love church in the house, it is the only place I am allowed to lead worship, and what awesome worship it was last week!!!

The fact that you are thinking this through tells us you are in fact a TARE! What you need is to stop thinking and shockamoo your way to an old fashioned altar!

J/K!!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post

In modern agricultural practices the farmer holds nothing from the harvest back as seed for the next planting. Instead he buys seed that was grown in a controled environment.

In the past the problem with darnel was due to cross pollination leading to unintentional hybrids. In essence- if you allowed multi-generational mingling you would be changing the DNA of both the wheat and the tares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
The fact that you are thinking this through tells us you are in fact a TARE! What you need is to stop thinking and shockamoo your way to an old fashioned altar!

J/K!!
...though from the material Carpenter describes it seems that the pastor has some concern along these lines.

The tares and the wheat do grow up in a field together which is "the world." God's judgment and wrath against the tares would harm the wheat, so they are allowed to coexist until the harvest.

The "sheep and wolves" analogy might be better for getting after troublemakers in the church. These two are more easily separated as the "wolves" have 'trendy' haircuts and other undesirable characteristics.