Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
The LORD will fight for you

Need Advice on a Used Piano

I knew that there were many here on AFF that could give me a little advice in buying a used piano, so please let me know what your thoughts were regarding this purchase. After much thought, I decided to purchase a piano and start taking lessons again. I haven't owned a piano since 1993; therefore, I wanted to ensure that I get a reliable one.

I contacted a gentleman who restores and tunes pianos and he stated that he had three for sale. All three of them were listed @ $600, which included delivery. The three pianos to choose from were:

Kimbell with walnut - 20 years old

Cable with mahogany - unknown age

Baldwin Studio, 45 inches - unknown age

I owned a Kimbell before which was why I knew the age of the one listed above, because I asked more questions on that particular brand. I haven't heard of a Cable piano, so I need a little help with my decision. I found out that buying a good quality used piano in the stores would run me around $2000. This would be used as a practice piano and I don't want to incur that expense if it could be avoided.

Thank you in advance.

chosen

Isaiah 53:5: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."(KJV)

"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." Dwight L. Moody
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Make sure you get one with 88 keys. They come in two colors: black and white.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Need Advice on a Used Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenbyone View Post
I knew that there were many here on AFF that could give me a little advice in buying a used piano, so please let me know what your thoughts were regarding this purchase. After much thought, I decided to purchase a piano and start taking lessons again. I haven't owned a piano since 1993; therefore, I wanted to ensure that I get a reliable one.

I contacted a gentleman who restores and tunes pianos and he stated that he had three for sale. All three of them were listed @ $600, which included delivery. The three pianos to choose from were:

I owned a Kimbell before which was why I knew the age of the one listed above, because I asked more questions on that particular brand. I haven't heard of a Cable piano, so I need a little help with my decision. I found out that buying a good quality used piano in the stores would run me around $2000. This would be used as a practice piano and I don't want to incur that expense if it could be avoided.

Thank you in advance.

chosen
Bro. Chosen,

It thrills me to know you are wanting to buy another piano and take

lessons. This tells me you are doing well and I am so thankful!

Blessings,

Mom C
Old 09-10-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Bro. Chosen,

It thrills me to know you are wanting to buy another piano and take

lessons. This tells me you are doing well and I am so thankful!

Blessings,

Mom C
I am doing much better. I've been blessed so much these last several months not only financially, but also with health. The chronic fatigue has stopped and I haven't felt this good in such a long time. If I don't get back to sleep, I'll be tired tomorrow.

I woke up around 2:00 this morning and I couldn't fall back asleep. I think I went to bed too early last night. Actually, I have a big day today and I think that may have a lot to do with my inability to sleep. I had no problem falling asleep, but here I sit. Hopefully, some good Blue Bell ice cream will do the trick.

I was thinking about how I could do something constructive with my spare time. You know, I use to play softball for nine years until I couldn't for health reasons. I have missed playing the piano and I thought it would be a good time to find an instructor to help get me back to where I could play like I once did (hopefully better).

I could read music, but through the years I started playing mostly by ear, so I need to study to where I could read sheet music again without difficulty. I haven't played in over ten years, so as you could imagine, I am more than a bit rusty.

I'll play Sheltered in the Arms of God for you when you come back to visit. I have already made space for the piano in my front room, so I just need to go and purchase one this week.

Isaiah 53:5: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."(KJV)

"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." Dwight L. Moody
Old 09-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenbyone View Post

Thank you in advance.

chosen
If these pianos were new, I would rate them as follows:

1. Baldwin
2. Cable
3. Kimball

Since they are not new, this rating goes out the window!

Here are my suggestions for you:

1. Ask for the serial number on each piano, and I can gave you the exact year it was built. Don't take the seller's word for it!

2. Play each piano and make sure every key plays correctly. Play each key one at a time.

3. What condition is the finish in? Is it scratched or badly marked up? Are there pieces missing?

4. Open up the top and look inside. Are there any strings missing or hammers missing? Do the hammers have deep "teeth' marks, or are they basically smooth?

5. Is there a crack showing in the pinblock? This is the wood at the top where the pins that hold the strings go in. If so, the piano will never hold a tune!

6. Is the soundboard cracked? This would cause the piano to play with a buzz sound on certain notes.

7. When was the last time the piano was tuned? Since the seller tunes pianos, I assume this was done recently.

note: Since the seller is a tuner, have him/her agree to tune your piano as part of the deal after it's been in your home for a month!

I hope this is helpful!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post

1. Baldwin
2. Cable
3. Kimball

1. Ask for the serial number on each piano, and I can gave you the exact year it was built. Don't take the seller's word for it!

2. Play each piano and make sure every key plays correctly. Play each key one at a time.

3. What condition is the finish in? Is it scratched or badly marked up? Are there pieces missing?

4. Open up the top and look inside. Are there any strings missing or hammers missing? Do the hammers have deep "teeth' marks, or are they basically smooth?

5. Is there a crack showing in the pinblock? This is the wood at the top where the pins that hold the strings go in. If so, the piano will never hold a tune!

6. Is the soundboard cracked? This would cause the piano to play with a buzz sound on certain notes.

7. When was the last time the piano was tuned? Since the seller tunes pianos, I assume this was done recently.

note: Since the seller is a tuner, have him/her agree to tune your piano as part of the deal after it's been in your home for a month!

I hope this is helpful!
Pianoman -

I had just about given up on some assistance and I wanted to thank you for the information you provided me. That meant more to me than you know. I will certainly take the list above and do exactly as you recommended. I will forward you the serial numbers later in the week if not the first of next week.

Thanks again,

chosen

Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Re: Need Advice on a Used Piano

Well, I finally bought a piano...six months after I posted this thread! I got a really good deal on ebay. It will be delivered tomorrow at 3:00 PM and I am looking forward to playing again.

ebay rocks, btw! I got outbid at the last minute on a condo day before yesterday. I decided that I was going to start investing in real estate now that there were so many great deals with all the foreclosures. Being an ebay novice, I learned this week to wait until the very last minute to bid. I just knew I had that 2/1 condo and then someone beat my bid by $100.00 just before the time elapsed. URGH!!! ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! URGH!!! I have a 1/1 that I am tracking now, so keep your fingers crossed! Anyhow, below is the info on the piano I purchased:

A beautiful Hobart M. Cable Spinet Piano, walnut color is for sale at auction price!

NO RESERVE!

It is an spinet piano, well-crafted, and in great condition. It has been kept in tune and plays very nicely. Both of my children learned on this piano and it has been a great family piano. We have bought a new piano so we must now sell this one to make room for it.

The piano comes from a smoke-free home. It has been well kept in the living room and has always been cleaned and dusted. The piano has recently been tuned and will be ready for playing enjoyment or for lessons.

About Hobart M. Cable Piano: More than a hundred thousand instruments bearing this name have been manufactured since 1911. The pianos are known for their musical excellence, durability and attractive cabinet work. The distinctive characteristics of the Hobart M. Cable piano are remarkably sweet and pure tone qualities combined with unusual power. The construction of the piano is notable for its solidity and compactness and for a number of superior features, which contribute to the general excellence. The scale, which is the scientific basis of quality in the Hobart M. Cable piano, is of the even, unbroken and satisfying kind that appeals to the trained musical ear. It is the inner secret of the great growth of the Hobart M. Cable piano's fame. In a word, it may be said that the Hobart M. Cable piano is a remarkable instrument, possessing all of the essentials of a strictly high-grade piano. , Purity and sweetness of tone, evenness of scale, great durability, superb case designs in the richest of woods, and high commercial value. Its reputation, now impregnably secure, has extended from ocean to ocean and even beyond the nation's boundaries. A Hobart M. Cable piano is marked by the same characteristics as the players and pianos with the remarkable control and interpretive powers added.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Re: Need Advice on a Used Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post

1. Baldwin
2. Cable
3. Kimball

I hope this is helpful!
My husband has tuned pianos in the past and he agrees with these assessments.
To add> the Baldwin studio would sound a little better because it has longer strings but it is also a little heavier.
Check the condition of the piano.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James