Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Bishop Kilgore: An Icon Steps Back - HONOR

Just got word that Bishop James Kilgore preached today at a Conference in Mississippi. During that message he stated that he would not preach again in the United States for any meetings such as special services, dedications or conferences. Not a lot more was said about it except that he would not be preaching any more special meetings.

While it seems odd to hear someone say that those in attendance said that there was no hint of bitterness or animosity. Just a precious Pentecostal icon letting the world know that his ministy is going to pretty much be limited to overseas.

Ladies and Gentlemen, there are very few men with the character and humility of James Kilgore. I can't question the man's character but I do wish I knew what was in the Bishop's mind. His kind simply can't be replaced.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 PM

Are you simply inferring that he will preach overseas or did he say that he will continue to?

How's his health?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Just got word that Bishop James Kilgore preached today at a Conference in Mississippi. During that message he stated that he would not preach again in the United States for any meetings such as special services, dedications or conferences. Not a lot more was said about it except that he would not be preaching any more special meetings.

While it seems odd to hear someone say that those in attendance said that there was no hint of bitterness or animosity. Just a precious Pentecostal icon letting the world know that his ministy is going to pretty much be limited to overseas.

Ladies and Gentlemen, there are very few men with the character and humility of James Kilgore. I can't question the man's character but I do wish I knew what was in the Bishop's mind. His kind simply can't be replaced.
He came into my life in THE MOST crucial moment of my life and ministry. I was priviledged to call him Pastor for two years...it was while in Houston that Bro. Strange and I became so close.
Bro. Strange will attest to the fact that we had some SERIOUS prayer meetings at old Life Tabernacle.
Me, Him, Sis Alice, Bro Gus, sister Patricia...LORD those folks taught me HOW to pray and touch the throne!!!
Ive been in church all my life but did not REALLY know how to pray until my time at Old Life Tabernacle and Those great people.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dean View Post

I think he feels he has been away from Life Tabernacle way to much. He also has a great love for the Phillipines and has been going and staying there for a good bit of time.

He is a very precious man of God. If you have never had the privledge of knowing him, you have indeed missed a great opportunity.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Christmas 2009

I have utmost respect for Bro. Kilgore; I have heard nothing but good things about him all my life. He was there for someone very close to me, when they were at a very critical time in their life.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Chewy

Wow, can anyone even imagine that Brother Kilgore is getting old, his wife is with the Lord, etc, etc, etc?

He is on the top side of 80 right?

I remember we had a beautiful wonderful retired preacher in our church pressing 90 and he got up to the pulpit in January of 2002 and said, "1962 is going to be the best year I am going to have living for GOD!"

Precious man, he is now with Jesus.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Strongminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Wow, can anyone even imagine that Brother Kilgore is getting old, his wife is with the Lord, etc, etc, etc?

I remember we had a beautiful wonderful retired preacher in our church pressing 90 and he got up to the pulpit in January of 2002 and said, "1962 is going to be the best year I am going to have living for GOD!"

I know thats not funny...just struck me as such.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongminded View Post

I know thats not funny...just struck me as such.
No, it was hilarious, we just laughed under our breath, our hands covering our mouth.

This man was also hard of hearing. The road to our church passes our veteran's cemetary, and the pastor was saying one Memorial Day, "Folks I hope you never drive by the military cemetery and not feel something."

This precious man thought the Pastor said, "I HAVE NEVER driven by the military cemetery..."

He shouted, "I HAVEN'T EITHER BROTHER!"

Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

Thats as bad as the time a man was sleeping ...he was in his 90's....the preacher was preaching......All of a sudden the man woke up...(Lord knows what he was dreaming)...and shouted "THATS RIGHT BROTHER....STRIP HER NAKED"

Needless to say church, church was OVER!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

It is sad that he is no longer going to be speaking however, My former pastor and one of Bro Kilgores dearest friends said the same thing a couple of years ago due to having parkinsons that he wouldnt be preaching anymore. In the last 6 months that I have visited his church occasionally he is actually the only one I think I have heard preach there even though he has stepped down as pastor. Maybe same will be the case for Bro Kilgore, he may preach more now than he has in a long time, one never knows.