Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Obamacare rates to drop

link
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...op-first-time/
snippets
Average premiums for key Obamacare benchmark plans are set to drop for the first time in the program’s history, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Thursday, challenging Democrats’ claims that the Trump administration had “sabotaged” the law.

Mr. Azar said insurers that will sell plans on the HealthCare.gov website next year requested rates that are 2 percent lower than this year for the benchmark policies.

Although the reduction is small, it marks the first time that the market has avoided big increases.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Banned

Re: Obamacare rates to drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
link
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...op-first-time/
snippets
Average premiums for key Obamacare benchmark plans are set to drop for the first time in the program’s history, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Thursday, challenging Democrats’ claims that the Trump administration had “sabotaged” the law.

Mr. Azar said insurers that will sell plans on the HealthCare.gov website next year requested rates that are 2 percent lower than this year for the benchmark policies.

Although the reduction is small, it marks the first time that the market has avoided big increases.
I'm still leery of Obamacare. We'll have to see if rates continue to drop before we can say it is working as intended.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:50 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I'm still leery of Obamacare. We'll have to see if rates continue to drop before we can say it is working as intended.
It's not working as intended. Its intention was to skyrocket prices, collapse the insurance industry and drive us all into single-payer. Thank God it didn't work.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Banned

I think it is insane it hasn't already been repealed. There are some things that should be kept, like covering people with pre-existing conditions, but the rest of the program should be scrapped and we should come up with something new.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBukaroo View Post
I think it is insane it hasn't already been repealed. There are some things that should be kept, like covering people with pre-existing conditions, but the rest of the program should be scrapped and we should come up with something new.
Well, to repeal the entire law would repeal the clauses on pre-existing conditions, and things that should be kept. And that would be political suicide. The only solution is to repeal Obamacare with legislation waiting to be passed to replace it that includes the parts of it that should be kept. And frankly, the Republicans have no alternative with which to do so. And these things are unpopular with the insurance industry, so their wealthy constituents in the insurance industry have some heavy lobbying keeping the Republicans from becoming too generous.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:55 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Well, to repeal the entire law would repeal the clauses on pre-existing conditions, and things that should be kept.
I disagree that it should be kept. Being forced to cover pre-existing conditions, is like your house being on fire, then calling to get insurance coverage and expecting the insurance company to cover it.

Quote:
And that would be political suicide.
Unfortunately, that part is true, which is why they won't repeal the whole thing.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, to repeal the entire law would repeal the clauses on pre-existing conditions, and things that should be kept. And that would be political suicide. The only solution is to repeal Obamacare with legislation waiting to be passed to replace it that includes the parts of it that should be kept. And frankly, the Republicans have no alternative with which to do so. And these things are unpopular with the insurance industry, so their wealthy constituents in the insurance industry have some heavy lobbying keeping the Republicans from becoming too generous.
My ex-employer made billions, thanks to the Dems passsing Obamacare.
There were lots of donations made to the Dems re-election committees.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
I disagree that it should be kept. Being forced to cover pre-existing conditions, is like your house being on fire, then calling to get insurance coverage and expecting the insurance company to cover it.
So, human life is measured as one would measure the material value of a house? Let's assume it is a fetus in desperate need of coverage for a pre-existing condition. Still denied???

The goal of health insurance is for one to be able to have coverage to pay for medical procedures and treatments to help treat medical conditions (even potentially life threatening conditions). What kind of healthcare program denies coverage to those who need it the most to save money and only ensures the currently healthy who will profit the system? Is that not essentially rationing health care based on profit? Sickness profiteering?

Quote:
Unfortunately, that part is true, which is why they won't repeal the whole thing.
I don't believe they can repeal Obamacare without repealing the entire program. Unless they want to pass legislation targeting specific aspects of Obamacare, which will be extremely complicated, seeing that much of the ACA is interwoven with other aspects of it.

Last edited by Aquila; 10-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
My ex-employer made billions, thanks to the Dems passsing Obamacare.
There were lots of donations made to the Dems re-election committees.
I know. Basically Obamacare forced everyone into the hands of the insurance companies. Many made billions.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I know. Basically Obamacare forced everyone into the hands of the insurance companies. Many made billions.
Not just insurance companies.
Basically, almost every company in the Healthcare field made lots of money.