Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
preach59

It's Important That We Be Real

Are you real? Do you walk the walk you talk? Do you talk the talk you talk with everyone or do you talk the talk they talk? Does the talk you talk have a tendency to blend with the talk others talk when you are with everyone else? Are you one person with one belief when you talk with me and another person portraying another belief when you talk with someone else? Do you represent yourself to me as believing one thing and endorsing one thing, then when you are with others, do you represent yourself as believing exactly what they believe? Are you real?

Through many years of ministry, I have been exposed to people who were very chameleon like. They had the ability to blend with whomever and whatever they were around. When in the company of folks with very different opinions than their own - their talk would change and they would come into agreement with them. They were yes men and women in whatever crowd they were in whether they disagreed or not with what was being stated. I have become acquainted with men who when I spoke with them about certain subjects - they would state their agreement with me. Then, I have listened with amazement when they have spoken with others who had an opposing viewpoint - and they would state their agreement with them. In other words they talked the talk of whoever they were with at the time. They talked the talk of whatever group they were associating with at the moment.

It is very important to be real. It is very important to talk the talk YOU talk wherever and whenever YOU talk. To gain genuine trust from your peers, you must be real. To misrepresent who you are will catch up with you in the long run. When counseling young ministers when I pastored, I always spoke with them of this must - you must be real. You must be able to establish core values that are consistent in whatever setting you are in. This is the only way you will ever gain trust. You cannot change your values and opinion from one church to the next - from one pastor/minister to the next. Be real!! By vacillating with every one you speak with - you may have a short-lived friendship with some - but when they discover the real you - those friends will fade from view very quickly. You will gain the reputation of not being real and not having any values and convictions of your own. You will lose the trust of your peers in quick order. Be real!

The Scripture states in James that a double-minded man is unstable in ALL his ways. You must be real!!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Great post. Thanks

Idolatry is presenting a fake image of God or his things. Your post seems to aim at keeping God on the throne and we mortals as his followers.

I like that.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM

REAL good thoughts preach
Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Christmas 2009

Thanks, preach59! This has always been one of my pet peeves.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Ronzo

Real is real important.