Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Banned

All translations come from 3 basic groups

Watch this video folks, you will see where all Bible translations originate!.....

https://youtu.be/tNv-zzpIwBs?t=449
Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Re: All translations come from 3 basic groups

Walter Veith spent no time in seminary and has no professional training in textual criticism or theology.

The relationship between manuscripts are more complex that Veith suggests.

Early in his lecture, he claims that all the church fathers make quotes from the NT support the received text, or TR. I have never heard any textual critic claim the early fathers quotes supported only one manuscript tradition.

His description of textus sinaiticus is flat out wrong.

The vulgate is Airan ?? New information that is absurd. Sinaiticus is also Arian ?

So this guy does not believe in 2 text types. Only one, the texts receptus. The Alexandrian text tradition is not a text type.

He does not discuss how, or if, early versions fit into his interpretation of the history of the text transmission. He assumes that each manuscript only contains one text type. Some manuscripts are so unique that they do not fit into any text type. D comes to mind. He oversimplified as the expense of reality.

European wars over text types ? He really delivers this ?

I stopped at 32 minutes. If I want comedy, I will watch saturday night live.

Are there no videos of actual textual critics for us to watch ?

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 07-09-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned

So Scott, he is a completely miserable failure and you are completely right?...

He has nothing to offer?

He does not have a clue?

Is seminary a bearer of truth?

My minister (oneness) friend had a miserable time in seminary with their false teachings.

Last edited by Sean; 07-09-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Banned

Scott, did Sis Myrick give you all the knowledge you needed to rebut this guy.(your degree)

I only bring this up to get you to see another point of view....be openminded enough.

Last edited by Sean; 07-09-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

As a matter of fact, Sister Myrick was not really interested in textual criticism. She was trained in it, but her passion was grammar and teaching.

We learned textual criticism of the NT from Dan Segraves.

Textual criticism of the NT (or OT) requires special training. Reading a couple of dozen books on it and having been exposed to it in college do not make me a recognized textual critic.

I do recognize a half baked idea when I hear one. At least about issues I am familiar with. Textual transmission of the NT is complex. Simplistic answers as presented by Veith reveal a low level of understanding of the subject.

Keith should stick to zoology and leave Greek manuscript relationships to the professionals.

Veith makes some simple mistakes than makes me question his competency to lecture on this subject.

Twice now videos have been posted of speakers who had no academic background in the subject matter they were presenting.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

Scott, with that reasoning, that disqualifies you too, right?(No seminary experience)...yet I see you weighing in with your critique.

You are essentially saying that history is locked up in a vault in some seminary, for only the dedicated and privileged to have access to(or teach).

We call that CENSORSHIP in lay terms.

Early Popes used that method of censorship to attempt to "disqualify" the reformers.

Last edited by Sean; 07-09-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Scott, the reformers were just fairly well educated men that read the Bible for themselves.(we know more about the truth as oneness believers than ANY seminarian)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

I have 2 degrees in theology. I studied Greek grammar and textual criticism on the college level. Keith Veight or Riplinger can say the same thing.

I have studied issues of textual criticism since graduation for 30 years. But that does not make me a textual critic.

But I do have enough training and experience to tell the difference between one who is from one who is not. I measure not their conclusions, but how they arrive at them.

Understanding relationships between manuscripts, the influence and contribution of early foreign language translations, the details of individual manuscripts and the history of manuscript transmission requires special training by someone who is a recognized textual critic.

People are free to read all they want. Having specific training that results in mastering the material does not happen by simply reading reading 30 books over 30 years.

I certainly do not make videos about my views. I defer to the experts.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 07-09-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I did not graduate from a trinitarian college. Except for a few ideas, the education would have been the same.

Ed psych and Greek grammar and eschatology etc, are the same no matter where you attend college.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I have a youtube video but I do not know how to post it here.