Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

48 Hour Prepping Challenge

There was a recent challenge put out to many YouTube preppers where the goal was to living out a grid-down EMP event where there is no power and the only electronics allowed is those you had personally protected ahead of time.

Here is one guys experience (he has an excellent channel himself).

Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: 48 Hour Prepping Challenge

Good things to think about...I liked the alarms, the cell phone library...his lack of water is a big problem! His not wanting to use the potty chair...gonna have to get over that one if a real emergency happens! Thanks for sharing Randy! I will watch more of his videos.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

I guess since it wasn't the real thing, the awkwardness of the potty was enough to cancel the trial. I have to admit I probably would have also (of course us guys have a HUGE advantage when it comes to using the restroom, all we need is a bush).
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Each day I work on my preps I realize the number one need is WATER! We have a well, and a water purifier (Berkey), we recently acquired a 275 gal clean storage tank, which we are going to set up to collect rain run off on my hubby's shop...he is building it right now and he put a metal roof on it, so we think it will have the least amount of debris to filter out.

We thought about getting a BOB for the tub, but we only have one and I don't want to fill it with water. For the bathroom needs I found online lids made for 5/6 gal buckets, and its important to have lime the old fashion way to dispose of waste. Our house used to be on septic, but don't know where or if the tank is or if its still there or not. We do have a lot of bushes though...LOL!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

We have a water BOB. And while I don't have a Berkey I DO have a Katadyne CERAMIC based hand held filter that can make virtually any pond scum drinkable (assuming it isn't laced which certain chemicals that it can't get out). Living in the desert, my greatest fear IS lack of water -it just don't rain much here!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
We have a water BOB. And while I don't have a Berkey I DO have a Katadyne CERAMIC based hand held filter that can make virtually any pond scum drinkable (assuming it isn't laced which certain chemicals that it can't get out). Living in the desert, my greatest fear IS lack of water -it just don't rain much here!
I lived in Mesa for one winter while my hubby did a construction job, and we loved it there. This was back in the 80's. No it didn't rain often, but it seemed that when it did it came all at once.

Have you thought about rain barrels, so that when it does rain at least you can capture the water? With a water purifier you can then drink said rain water...
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
Each day I work on my preps I realize the number one need is WATER! We have a well, and a water purifier (Berkey), we recently acquired a 275 gal clean storage tank, which we are going to set up to collect rain run off on my hubby's shop...he is building it right now and he put a metal roof on it, so we think it will have the least amount of debris to filter out.

We thought about getting a BOB for the tub, but we only have one and I don't want to fill it with water. For the bathroom needs I found online lids made for 5/6 gal buckets, and its important to have lime the old fashion way to dispose of waste. Our house used to be on septic, but don't know where or if the tank is or if its still there or not. We do have a lot of bushes though...LOL!
Be careful about collecting "rain water". In some areas they have made THAT illegal! Sounds absurd but is true. I need a berkey...
Old 06-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
Be careful about collecting "rain water". In some areas they have made THAT illegal! Sounds absurd but is true. I need a berkey...
Yes I live in one of those states....our tank will not be visible from outside our yard, so unless someone tells on us we should be OK...I believe rain barrels are ok, at least they sell them around here, ours is just bigger! Instead of a barrel on each corner of the house (which has a comp roof) we are hoping the metal roof on the shop will be cleaner...

Yes the Berkey is great, its a water purifier instead of filter. We are going to build a couple of pre filters so we don't have to pour debris and plug it up too fast. We use it every day here for all our drinking water, coffee pot, and we use instant milk so also use it for that...I realized that our unit would not keep up demand if we are in crisis mode! Water is the number one need and the hardest to plan for! I am going to be ordering another one very soon and a spare set of filters, the price has gone up some sense we bought our first one, the filters last a long time so I think the cost is OK in the long run and can you put a price on clean drinking water?