Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Mandatory Flu Vaccine

Hi Folks,

Well, here we go. I signed up for nursing school and was able to sign off on the flu vaccine, saying I didn't want it. now, mid-stream they are changing on me and making it mandatory. Not okay by me. I do not want the vaccine. I am not opposed to all vaccines but I am largely opposed to the flu vaccine on principle. I found this online:
Quote:
Carving out Health Contradictions and Respecting Civil Liberties
Every mandatory flu shot policy should consider carving out exceptions, especially for health contradictions and religious exemptions. Each area has its own pitfalls. A bifurcated process might be preferred in overseeing the exemption process for each issue, but is often difficult due to limited resources.
Medical/Health Exceptions. While vaccine allergies and side effects are rare, they do exist. Hospitals should consider allowing an opt-out option for employees with medical grounds for declining the vaccination. The hospital could face potential liability if an employee suffers an adverse reaction to a shot administered under a mandatory policy. Hospitals considering implementing a health exemption to a mandatory flu policy should set up a confidential review process that applies consistent standards for health exemptions, such as a requirement for a physician’s note related to medical contradictions similar to other fitness-for-duty issues.
Religious Exceptions. Religious exemption from mandatory flu shot policies involves constitutional principals of civil liberties. As the Supreme Court explained in Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205, 215–216 (1972) “[a]lthough a determination of what is a ‘religious’ belief or practice entitled to constitutional protection may present a most delicate question, the very concept of ordered liberty precludes allowing every person to make his own standards on matters of conduct in which society as a whole has important interests.” Accordingly, first and foremost is the question of what constitutes a religion. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 defines religion as “all aspects of religious observance and practice, as well as belief.” Title VII requires that an employee have a bona fide religious belief, as opposed to a purely personal preference, but religious beliefs protected by Title VII need not be “acceptable, logical, consistent, or comprehensible to others.” Title VII also mandates that a protected religious belief or practice be sincerely held.
It sounds like I might be best off going with a religious exemption (even though I don't attend church) because it doesn't have to be acceptable, logical or consistent with what anybody else thinks. I would like you opinions. I'm frustrated I have to deal with this when I should just be studying. Thanks.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Re: Mandatory Flu Vaccine

Communism creeping in under BO. Government control.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

No. It's mandatory because health professionals work with... get this, are you ready, they work with sick people!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Visitors come in all the time. People come and go all the time. I don't believe the flu vaccine really helps. I think it hurts more than it helps and the risks outweigh the benefits. That is my belief.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
No. It's mandatory because health professionals work with... get this, are you ready, they work with sick people!!!

I'd def claim "religion"
if you need to. The mercury
load alone gives one pause.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

I personally can not get a flu shot. I'm fine without it. I got a flu shot 3 yrs in a row, and each time I got the flu really bad. Thought I was going to die.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

My husband got a flu shot right before he had radiation and he said it was the worst two weeks of his life (BEFORE RADIATION) he was in extreme pain all over. I believe that people should have the right to choose. I guess since it is a belief that would make it religious.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Visitors come in all the time. People come and go all the time. I don't believe the flu vaccine really helps. I think it hurts more than it helps and the risks outweigh the benefits. That is my belief.
Mine too, sis!

Surely they can't MAKE you take this vaccine?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

I was upset when my son's school MADE him get a chicken pox vaccine. The chicken pox never hurt us. But the flu vaccine???? My grandpa almost died after getting it, it made him so sick.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
Mine too, sis!

Surely they can't MAKE you take this vaccine?
I'm not sure. I don't know. I don't want this to come between me and going to school. I think my biggest argument is that they changed the rules since school started. I'm in grief over it because I don't want it to be an issue. I just want to go to school and be at peace.