Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Hate Your Mom and Dad!

A friend of mine shared something disturbing from a sermon he heard at a conservative meeting recently. The preacher exhorted the congregation to "have nothing to do" with any family member that has "left the truth." His text? Luke 14.

Thought I'd share the irony. As with most things I'm noticing, there is indeed great irony. For example, when it came to "expelling people" and "having nothing to do with them" the example of Paul and the Judaizers is used. The irony? Those who placed addendums to the simple Gospel were the perpetrators (and of course were physically coming into the community stirring up dissension).

But Luke 14 is even more ironic. Loyalty is a huge value among Pentecostal congregations. Loyalty to the pastor is even preached about. I'd say a Western value would include family (but not as great a value as it was in Jesus' time in the East). So in v25 when Jesus makes His call for discipleship, he is saying that "no matter the cost" (thinking Deitrich Boehnhoffer here) we should follow him. Even if it means ticking off your family, and them hating you for it -- even disowning you! Jesus comes first!

Missing in this exhortation is any instruction for believers to "reject" unbelieving family members. Once again, Biblical literalist, and agenda-happy cultists hijack the word for their own pleasure.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hate Your Mom and Dad!

Know what ya mean...lol...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Yep. The same "point missing" goes on in many other scriptures. One of the faves is Malachi 3:8
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

I don't know what church you are talking about but that same thing did happen in my home church in Mississippi. Thankfully most of my family has found another church in the area.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
A friend of mine shared something disturbing from a sermon he heard at a conservative meeting recently. The preacher exhorted the congregation to "have nothing to do" with any family member that has "left the truth." His text? Luke 14.

Thought I'd share the irony. As with most things I'm noticing, there is indeed great irony. For example, when it came to "expelling people" and "having nothing to do with them" the example of Paul and the Judaizers is used. The irony? Those who placed addendums to the simple Gospel were the perpetrators (and of course were physically coming into the community stirring up dissension).

But Luke 14 is even more ironic. Loyalty is a huge value among Pentecostal congregations. Loyalty to the pastor is even preached about. I'd say a Western value would include family (but not as great a value as it was in Jesus' time in the East). So in v25 when Jesus makes His call for discipleship, he is saying that "no matter the cost" (thinking Deitrich Boehnhoffer here) we should follow him. Even if it means ticking off your family, and them hating you for it -- even disowning you! Jesus comes first!

Missing in this exhortation is any instruction for believers to "reject" unbelieving family members. Once again, Biblical literalist, and agenda-happy cultists hijack the word for their own pleasure.
Excuse me but this has nothing to do with being a literalist. It has more to not understanding the bible and or misusing the bible for your own agenda

To begin with the part about hating mother or father is simply a hyperbole. People need to realize we do have forms of speech, literary devices and who gave us some of these? The greek culture I believe probably influenced some of this. Judaism was not just in the midst of a greek/roman culture but probably influenced. From what I understand greek was the language of commerce...the common tongue that united them all.

Jews in the diaspora no doubt used the language much more but even in Judea they probably spoke some greek and perhaps were influenced a little by the culture just as they did by the Chaldeans.....MO

The admonition by Paul was the church excommunicating someone that claimed to be a brother but was living in gross sin. In otherwords it was an act of booting him OUT of the local church

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

BTW I believe the hyperbole was intended to mean, your love for God should be much more than love for family

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Excuse me but this has nothing to do with being a literalist. It has more to not understanding the bible and or misusing the bible for your own agenda

To begin with the part about hating mother or father is simply a hyperbole. People need to realize we do have forms of speech, literary devices and who gave us some of these? The greek culture I believe probably influenced some of this. Judaism was not just in the midst of a greek/roman culture but probably influenced. From what I understand greek was the language of commerce...the common tongue that united them all.

Jews in the diaspora no doubt used the language much more but even in Judea they probably spoke some greek and perhaps were influenced a little by the culture just as they did by the Chaldeans.....MO

The admonition by Paul was the church excommunicating someone that claimed to be a brother but was living in gross sin. In otherwords it was an act of booting him OUT of the local church

And it wasn't just a brother living in sin, it was a brother living in sin and boasting about it, causing problems in the congregation. This should never be a normative option for elders handling conflict in the church. It should be as exceptional as it was in this example. Furthermore, the man was only expelled a short time -- not excommunicated.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
BTW I believe the hyperbole was intended to mean, your love for God should be much more than love for family
I agree, Prax.

The threat of being dis-owned and facing familial rejection was part of the obstacle for some of these early believers. Jesus warned them of making an idol out of the family.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialite View Post
And it wasn't just a brother living in sin, it was a brother living in sin and boasting about it, causing problems in the congregation. This should never be a normative option for elders handling conflict in the church. It should be as exceptional as it was in this example. Furthermore, the man was only expelled a short time -- not excommunicated.
Exactly
Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
America, bless God.

Quote:
Indeed. If need be, more than a pastor, a particular church or even, organization. <gasp!>