Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:10 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

When Fashion Controls the Church....

It seems at least where I'm from many of the more conservative churches dress to the nines... and most who visit come away stating something about a fashion show.
On another forum a choir was mentioned not about what they sang (which was good) but how they were dressed. And from my experiance by visiting the church....acceptance and fashion seem to hold hands...

It starts from the top.... another conservative church near us the Bishops Married Daughter who's husband will be Pastor has a Monthly Clothing allowance from the church that is extremely generous.

Most of the more conservative churches seem to be alot about fashion and dress... They may preach modesty in dress but seem to excuse moderation in dress...maybe that's an out...

I did find it interesting in one church that is considered to be Ultra-Conservative that the Pastor's wife while "holy" in dress wore a very large expressive hat in every service that seemed to say "I may dress by the standard but at least I can wear Hats"....

I don't know that it matters.... but when folks come to visit I would think most would rather walk away saying that was one of the nicest church's they had been too... and not saying.. "what a fashion show"...

These churches while "Holy" seem to be seperated by fashion... and your accepted by the way you are dressed...

It's definately NOT right...

anybody else chime in??
Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Sister Alvear

I don't think my opinion would be popular...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
It seems at least where I'm from many of the more conservative churches dress to the nines... and most who visit come away stating something about a fashion show.
On another forum a choir was mentioned not about what they sang (which was good) but how they were dressed. And from my experiance by visiting the church....acceptance and fashion seem to hold hands...

It starts from the top.... another conservative church near us the Bishops Married Daughter who's husband will be Pastor has a Monthly Clothing allowance from the church that is extremely generous.

Most of the more conservative churches seem to be alot about fashion and dress... They may preach modesty in dress but seem to excuse moderation in dress...maybe that's an out...

I did find it interesting in one church that is considered to be Ultra-Conservative that the Pastor's wife while "holy" in dress wore a very large expressive hat in every service that seemed to say "I may dress by the standard but at least I can wear Hats"....

I don't know that it matters.... but when folks come to visit I would think most would rather walk away saying that was one of the nicest church's they had been too... and not saying.. "what a fashion show"...

These churches while "Holy" seem to be seperated by fashion... and your accepted by the way you are dressed...

It's definately NOT right...

anybody else chime in??
I am by nature a person that is somewhat casual in dress. I tend to view people that are too "fancy" as pretentious and afraid to get their hands dirty.

Another problem I have with the whole church fashion show, is I believe that it creates a class distinction, causes people to spend too much money on clothes in trying to keep up with the jones', and takes the focus off the reason why we are there.

But like I said, I am a totally down to earth, what you see is what you get, trasparent kind of person, so I am sure I am totally biased in this.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I don't think my opinion would be popular...
Feel free Sis. Alvear.. I need a good whuppin' now and again..
Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

This is something that always bothered me about the UPC. It seems so hypocritical to criticize a piece of jewelry on someone and then dress to the nines in every UPC sanctioned way. To me, dressing to the nines violates the spirit of 1 Pet. 3:3,4 whereas a little jewelry does not. That's the problem with legalism. Rules can't enforce the spirit of the letter.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

You might be suprized some of these fashions might very well come from Goodwill and consignment stores.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:32 AM

rr, in my limited time back in the "church" (4 years now), I've seen the same thing you are talking about. I just wonder why you harp on and seem to limit it to the conservative churches? Anywho..........

I agree that there are far too many who use church as an occassion to dress to "the nines". There's nothing inherently wrong with that until it becomes an issue of the flesh. I have to be aware of it myself, being blessed with things in the clothing realm that others may not have.

But, brother, why do you focus so much on the conservative churches? Do you think "they" are exempt from error? YOU, like my wife (who is not in truth and WILL NOT even visit my church), seem to think that because a particular church holds to a stricter standard of dress that ALL are perfect. That's silly.

Why don't you mention the ones who DO dress modestly, because these are the ones who have it "right" (pun intended). My best friend and his wife are getting more and more conservative the longer they are in church (he prayed through a week before I did). He is now licensed locally. He and his wife are a class act when it comes to standards. You NEVER see her wearing anything flashy, yet she looks like she could met the President (or more importantly, the LORD!) at anytime of the day. Yeah, she "dresses down" sometimes, but she still looks very classy.

Why don't you talk about those people? Why do you think everyone is perfect or has this standards thing down, exhibiting humility and grace?

Why? Just for argument's sake, I think. Quit grouping everyone in the same class. If you want to start dressing more casual in your church (if you haven't), then PLEASE, PLEASE......go ahead! Don't try to justify it by others' faults.

It just seems like you're trying to justify a desire for wanting to change to be more casual by attacking what the ones who don't live the conservative life to YOUR standards (no pun intended) do. Just because they get caught up in the flesh doesn't mean that there's not a group who don't.

• Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Psalms 132:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
You might be suprized some of these fashions might very well come from Goodwill and consignment stores.

And K&G.

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 04-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post

My wife regularly gets boutique brand clothes at the goodwill with the store tags still on them for a couple of dollars each.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paths View Post
And K&G.

HEY NOW!

K&G is hard to beat.