Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Yellow Dog Democrats.

Where I live in a sleepy little one horse in South,AL there are older people who will not vote for a republican under any circumstances.
These sort of people are called yellow dog democrats although I don't know why.
Anyways I know a older gentlemen who is a good southern baptist he is a good man and yet he will not vote republican under any circumstances.

Although I disagree with this good man on doctrinal issues he does hold to moral values,yet He would vote for Hillary over Mccain.
My grandfather had loyalty to The Democrats as well.
Do you have a faction of staunch yellow dog democrats where you live?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Yellow Dog Democrats.

My FIL (84 years old) is a staunch Democrat! We are careful not to discuss politics, BUT when we saw him this past weekend I had to ask who he was voting for.

I said, "So, are you going to vote for Obama?"

He said, "Hahahaahahahhaha. You are very funny."

He isn't voting for Hillary either. I can't see him voting Republican. I don't know what he will do.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Yep, I think that is a problem a lot of Democrats will have.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
Yep, I think that is a problem a lot of Democrats will have.
I think so!

Wasn't I logging out or something?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I think so!

Wasn't I logging out or something?
Yep, but who can not help but read a thread with that title.........
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

You know I find this interesting but historically The Democrats by and large were agains't civil rights while Republicans were for civils rights,hence The Eisenhower presidency.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
arbitrary subjective label

The ignorant, delusional, unthinking, easily-manipulated, yet stubbornly-patriotic masses - their voices must be heard!

You may thank government schools and the patience of the communists. Their long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
The ignorant, delusional, unthinking, easily-manipulated, yet stubbornly-patriotic masses - their voices must be heard!

You may thank government schools and the patience of the communists. Their long march through the institutions is nearly complete.
So OP, are you for 'em or against 'em?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Cross-examine it!

A Yellow Dog Democrat is a staunch loyalist to the Democratic Party. These days, the term is widely recognized as an expression of regard and, as such, it is only used in a manner of praise. Yellow Dog Democrats embody loyalty. This is a trait that should never ever be taken for granted by any Party nor by any individual for that matter. The Democrat Party recognizes this, thus correctly acknowledges the Yellow Dog Democrat as some of their "Best Friends".

The term, Yellow Dog Democrat, blossomed during all of the Hoopla which surrounded the 1928 elections, when Al Smith ran for President against Herbert Hoover. During that campaign, Senator Tom Heflin, of Alabama, declined to back his fellow Democrat, Al Smith the Governor of NY. In fact it was much worse than that, Senator Heflin decided to back Herbert Hoover, who would then go on to become President- a Republican President no less. Heflin's controversial actions were considered heresy, especially in the South. As you can imagine, quite a large number of Alabamans vehemently disagreed with Senator Heflin's decision to cross his "Party Lines". Hence, the popular saying, "I'd vote for a yellow dog if he ran on the Democratic ticket" was born! It was adopted as the proud slogan of the staunch party loyalist.
At the time, this phrase certainly did not reflect well on Senator Heflin.
Adapted from William Safire's Safire's New Political Dictionary.
© 1993 by the Cobbett Corporation.

http://www.yellowdogdemocrat.com/history.htm
Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
Where I live in a sleepy little one horse in South,AL there are older people who will not vote for a republican under any circumstances.
These sort of people are called yellow dog democrats although I don't know why.
Anyways I know a older gentlemen who is a good southern baptist he is a good man and yet he will not vote republican under any circumstances.

Although I disagree with this good man on doctrinal issues he does hold to moral values,yet He would vote for Hillary over Mccain.
My grandfather had loyalty to The Democrats as well.
Do you have a faction of staunch yellow dog democrats where you live?
No, but we've got the "Black Guard." Sort of a Goth anarchist group. I don't know how they vote, or even if they vote. They're angry and break things.