Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

The Departed Glory...

Picture it if you will...

Israel is at war with the Philistines (I Samuel 4:1-22). Israel has lost many men in this battle, including Hophni and Phinehas, the evil sons of Eli. The Ark of God is taken. The Ark represented the presence of God, and with the Ark gone, the power, the anointing, the glory was gone.

Eli sits “by the wayside watching” (v. 13). There is probably not a more tragic statement than that. How sad to have been in the flow of His presence and end up sitting by the wayside...watching.

No longer was he on the 'playing field' or even in the 'grand stand'. Eli's training and background meant little as he was sitting it out on the bench...watching.

Well into his 90's, he sits and recalls past victories. He remembers the days of his youth, when life seemed less difficult. He recalls the days as spiritual leader and advisor to God’s people. His mind reflects on the former things, but there is no joy....there is no substance.

So it is that we find him here, too old and too tired to even try to change things, with indifference placing him “by the wayside watching.”

Receiving news of the war, and hearing that the Ark is taken, he falls from his seat, breaks his neck, and dies (v. 18). His daughter in-law, hearing what has happened, goes into labor and delivers a son. Before she dies she names him Ichabod, saying, “...the glory is departed from Israel” (v. 21). Literal meaning: where is the glory; where is God?

Have you ever been in places or met people and you wondered, "Where is God?!" Because some have become so accustomed to the habitual form of rendering service and worship, perhaps they are not even aware that the glory has left. They continue to see a lot of smoke, but there are no flames of fire shut up in their bones.

Why is it that folks don’t realize that the glory is gone?! When did it leave?! How long has it been vacant from their presence?! Can they even remember the last time they experienced the real deal?

Are there any clear cut answers or hard and fast rules for maintaining the glory?!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

This is a very sobering post and very timely.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Christmas 2009

The scariest thing to me, Barb, is that we can get good enough that we can have church without God---and we leave the building thinking it was a good service. If your music is great, your preaching is great, etc. etc....you really don't have to have God show up. HOW SCARY IS THAT?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Picture it if you will...

Israel is at war with the Philistines (I Samuel 4:1-22). Israel has lost many men in this battle, including Hophni and Phinehas, the evil sons of Eli. The Ark of God is taken. The Ark represented the presence of God, and with the Ark gone, the power, the anointing, the glory was gone.

Eli sits “by the wayside watching” (v. 13). There is probably not a more tragic statement than that. How sad to have been in the flow of His presence and end up sitting by the wayside...watching.

No longer was he on the 'playing field' or even in the 'grand stand'. Eli's training and background meant little as he was sitting it out on the bench...watching.

Well into his 90's, he sits and recalls past victories. He remembers the days of his youth, when life seemed less difficult. He recalls the days as spiritual leader and advisor to God’s people. His mind reflects on the former things, but there is no joy....there is no substance.

So it is that we find him here, too old and too tired to even try to change things, with indifference placing him “by the wayside watching.”

Receiving news of the war, and hearing that the Ark is taken, he falls from his seat, breaks his neck, and dies (v. 18). His daughter in-law, hearing what has happened, goes into labor and delivers a son. Before she dies she names him Ichabod, saying, “...the glory is departed from Israel” (v. 21). Literal meaning: where is the glory; where is God?

Have you ever been in places or met people and you wondered, "Where is God?!" Because some have become so accustomed to the habitual form of rendering service and worship, perhaps they are not even aware that the glory has left. They continue to see a lot of smoke, but there are no flames of fire shut up in their bones.

Why is it that folks don’t realize that the glory is gone?! When did it leave?! How long has it been vacant from their presence?! Can they even remember the last time they experienced the real deal?

Are there any clear cut answers or hard and fast rules for maintaining the glory?!
It's gone for the most part. most people are still in denial Barb.
most are still shouting " we're having Reviiiiiiival " Or " Reviiiival is coooooming" . how long have we heard that one ?? the truth is, we are not in revival. Not in America. not as a whole. that sounds negative but it's the truth. There might be a few sparks here and there a spurts of glory but not the abiding presence that once was.
a relative told me the other day that some pastors are finally owning up to the fact that they are NOT having revival. the church is simply in a very dry place. there is little hunger.
I always say, it's God's church and he will do with it what he wants to.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Perhaps the presence of God leaves when one when their prayer life and private devotional time with The Lord is not what it needs to be.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
The scariest thing to me, Barb, is that we can get good enough that we can have church without God---and we leave the building thinking it was a good service. If your music is great, your preaching is great, etc. etc....you really don't have to have God show up. HOW SCARY IS THAT?
This post makes me weep, Sherri...almost like I want to sit in sackcloth and ashes, ya know?!

'Having church' without God...what a sad, sad thought...
Old 06-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
This post makes me weep, Sherri...almost like I want to sit in sackcloth and ashes, ya know?!

Barb a lot of the younger generation do not know the difference.

we know
Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
This is a very sobering post and very timely.
To me it makes everything else we do...perhaps even meeting here, seem so...I don't know if I can find the words.

I just know that I want the glory...more than I want to live and breathe I want the glory.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
Barb a lot of the younger generation do not know the difference.

we know
Who will tell them?! Who can show them how?! And will they listen?!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:

It's like when Samson rose up and didn't know that the power of God had departed from him. He thought he could still take on the enemy, but he couldn't.