Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Missions Area
Facebook

Notices

Missions Area Reports and photos from Missionaries

Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Sister Alvear

Letter from Brazilian pastor

Dear Mission Friends:

Greetings to you all in the precious Name of Jesus.

Many years ago my family came to the Lord under the ministry of Bishop Raul and Missionary Janice Alvear. In fact they are the only pastors and overseers I have ever known. I grew up in their church. My brother married one of their adopted daughters.

In the year of 1998 I was ordained as a pastor but I started taking care a church in 1995 as a local worker. I presently pastor the Valinhos church in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil. I also am the vice youth director of our work and have helped young people on various states of Brazil.
No doubt our missionaries have mentioned me in their letters to some. They are helping me buy a car and that has been a blessing to help them in the work.

At this writing my heart is deeply burdened for our missionaries. They are no longer young and they have given their whole life to my country and my people. I want to repay their kindness to me and my family by following their example and giving my whole life to missions. I want to walk in their footsteps and I am so grateful that the call of God goes beyond cultures and customs making it possible for me to be a God called missionary.

For some time I have felt a deep calling to work in south Brazil as a national missionary but unlike American missionaries I have no chance to travel to your country and raise money and monthly support for this. Our missionaries suggested that I write a letter to their friends and ask for your help for one year on this project. Southwest Brazil and Paraguay boarder has NO Jesus name missionaries. We do have a tiny start in both areas and I am willing and feel called to go and help that area of Brazil but I have no funds. Yes, I do pastor a church and my church supports me locally but it is barely enough to live on as my members are very poor.

I want to share with you a challenging ministry opportunity that God has presented to me even though you do not know me I am a product of people that gave to missions!

While God has opened up a door for me to develop a brand new field I am blessed with God to have the talents and the know how but I do not have the funds. SO I am doing what our missionaries have taught to me to do: put the need out before you.

Please remember your giving will help to reach an unreached people.

First, your prayers are so important for me and my family. We need God’s protection as the Brazil/Paraguay boarder is a very dangerous area.

This work will be funded entirely through donations. I am excited about the opportunity to serve and to minister as a national missionary and I ask you to join me in ministry. I am seeking your support and prayers for this mission outreach. If you are able to assist with this, I would ask that you forward any donation to me with the check to the following address:

Pastor Hugo Silverio
Rua Antonio Giardelli 20
Barrio do Lenheiro
Valinhos 13272-051
SP
Brazil SA

May God give us all a greater heart of compassion for His people that perish for lack of a messenger. Will you help me be that messenger?

To anyone that can help me I promise to send you pictures and let you know what God is doing in this field.

If anyone desires a character reference please contact Bishop Raul Alvear. It is with his permission and blessing I write this letter.

Your Servant in Missions

Pastor Hugo Silverio
Old 05-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Sister Alvear

This was written many years ago and tells a little about Pastor Hugo's family:
To God Be the Glory

She appeared at our house, crying. Her family had just moved in a house up the street from our house. "I am your neighbor," she said as I invited her in. She was weeping uncontrollably. She was burdened down by the weight of sin and a very unhappy home. As we began to talk about a Jesus that could bring peace, she wiped her eyes and said: "Do you think He could do that for me, and my family?" "Of course." I replied. "He would love to do it for them."
Brother Alvear was in bed sick, but I said, "My husband and I will pray for you." We went into the bedroom and she knelt down by the bed where Brother Alvear was, and Mrs. Olga repented of her sins, and decided to follow Jesus. Following Jesus is not always easy. Her husband was not a bit happy about his wife's decision.
Let me tell you a little about Mr. Joaoquim; He was a man that slept with a gun and knife under his pillow. He was a big built man with a big mustache, and he was not afraid of anyone. He drank a lot of "pinga"(a strong drink made from sugar cane that is very intoxicating) and he was very "macho." He had been in many fights, and his wife and children trembled in his presence, when he was angry.
Since baptism follows repentance, Sister Olga decided to be baptized. "I will kill any man that tries to baptize my wife," he threatened. "And I will kill you too, Olga" He said. So we prayed very much, and even though he spoke many curses to us, God kept his hands tied so no evil could be done. It was not long until their children began to come to church. He would sit and brood at home. He would threaten to lock his wife out of the house, threaten her life, and almost every imaginable thing. Since his jealousy was so great he would unlock the door for her, because he sure didn't want her to spend the night at our house.
After many months of her faithfully coming to church, Sister Olga said to me: "Missionary, why don't you come and talk to my husband?" "O.K. tonight I will be there." In Brazil lots of the men eat red peppers and drink pinga. He was sitting at the table when I walked in. I took my little "Search for Truth" chart.
Sister Olga was washing dishes. She tried to act surprised by my visit. She sure didn't want him to know that she had invited me. Well, I might as well get this over, I thought, so I looked him right in the eyes and said: "I've come to give you a Bible study." Having a Bible study was the last thing he ever planned to do, but making sport of the missionary would be a good past time. "Sit down and have some peppers," he said.
I walked over to the dishes, got me a fork and a saucer and walked back to the table and sat down. I put some peppers in the saucer. (He got more than he bargained for, for what he did not know is that many trips that I had made into the interior areas where "food" would be cooked with dirty water and who knows what else for so many years.
When I'm in those areas, I take jars of peppers and pour it over the food, so I can't taste it.) As we studied, we had a little contest, who could eat the most peppers. After about fifteen minutes or so, our contest was over we were tied, but our Bible lesson continued on for an hour or so.
Eating hot peppers had won me a friend, and the presence of God that accompanies His Word had won a candidate for Heaven. Since Brother Alvear was in the states I asked two of our national pastors to baptize him in the lovely name of the one who died for the "macho men" of South America.
Even today, when he talks about his conversion, his eyes fill with tears as he says "The missionary ate almost a whole jar of hot peppers so she could tell me how to be saved." Such a small price to pay to help a soul. Missions are a constant and costly command, that requires continual commitment. There is no discipleship at discount prices, nor is holiness available wholesale.
That day so many years ago when I sat at the table looking into the eyes of the man who was a great sinner. I knew that his greatest need was Jesus. I knew that it would be a small sacrifice on my part, for me to eat hot peppers, in order to get him to listen to the Word of God, and thereby have his life changed. For me to have the chance to present to him the one that solves every problem, and has the answer to all the world's needs was a privilege.
No matter how small or meager the resources, God can take them and do great things with them. We owe a debt of love that is never fully paid, and is eternally due.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Sister Alvear

It is this lady's son that grew up to be one of our key pastor's in Brazil!