Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Ego Driven Departures

I would daresay that most men enter the pulpit ministry with right attitudes and mindsets. Further, I would say that when most begin there is a genuine humility and servant's heart at the core of their motivation. For a season of success the right spirit's and attitudes remain.

But it is interesting what a little "success" does to some men. It isn't long before the humility gives way to ego and the servant's heart fades in the light of wanting to be admired and served.

When men cross that line they enter into a different arena altogether. It is the Arena of Ego Driven Ministry. They are now "ministering" more for the sake of being heard than being effective. Their concern is more about self-proclaimed ministries than the ministry of Jesus Christ.

One of the greatest dangers of this kind of ministry is a shrinking circle of influence and adulation. Once one has exhausted the conference and campmeeting circuit and that become routine, then the ego demands a larger venue. It is then that Ego Driven Departures occur. Fellowship with organizations and ministers are severed because of a "desire" to reach the world. A bigger stage is demanded and you have "arrived." After all, the go that is awakened demands to cintinually be fed. The words "I die daily" are soon forgotten in the world of "I" "Me" and "Mine."

Oh, most will never admit that their ego is what drives them. To do so would work at cross purposes to true ministry. It is easier to depart and ridicule those who remain. (Except for those few who will pay the Ego Driven Minister enough to continue to preach in their pulpit). The Ego Driven Ministry all of a sudden gets a "name." Usually that of the Ego Driven minister. Somehow Jesus gets left out of a lot of those ministry names. Go figure...

While not all who leave do so because of Ego Driven ministry, there are indeed those who do. The old adage is "Time Tells All." Indeed it does. Maybe not today; or tomorrow; or even a year from now. But in the course of time all Ego Driven Ministries will come to an end of themselves.

May God help all of those called to the High Calling of the Ministry of Jesus Christ ever keep their ego on the altar and let all glory truly go to Him that deserves it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Steadfast

Fantastic insight... great reasoning.

Consider yourself appreciated from a weary warrior tired of seeing good men fall by the wayside.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

When the "Minister" is exalted above the Master and the message, he's in trouble.
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

I think that what you are saying is probably true for some men. However, I think it is possible that someone can find their ministry moving in a direction that transcends what is acceptable to the organization they are with and they have to leave in order to feel fulfilled in their calling. I feel that UPC preachers can benefit from getting outside their own group occasionally, but when I was part of it, this was frowned upon.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
I think that what you are saying is probably true for some men. However, I think it is possible that someone can find their ministry moving in a direction that transcends what is acceptable to the organization they are with and they have to leave in order to feel fulfilled in their calling. I feel that UPC preachers can benefit from getting outside their own group occasionally, but when I was part of it, this was frowned upon.
You did notice my allowance for such, right? It is there for those rare cases.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
Shouldn't the minister be more worried about benefitting then being benefitted?

As to the frowned upon remark, I can never understand why it would be frowned upon to bring the message anyplace it might be received and responded to.
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
I would daresay that most men enter the pulpit ministry with right attitudes and mindsets. Further, I would say that when most begin there is a genuine humility and servant's heart at the core of their motivation. For a season of success the right spirit's and attitudes remain.

But it is interesting what a little "success" does to some men. It isn't long before the humility gives way to ego and the servant's heart fades in the light of wanting to be admired and served.

When men cross that line they enter into a different arena altogether. It is the Arena of Ego Driven Ministry. They are now "ministering" more for the sake of being heard than being effective. Their concern is more about self-proclaimed ministries than the ministry of Jesus Christ.

One of the greatest dangers of this kind of ministry is a shrinking circle of influence and adulation. Once one has exhausted the conference and campmeeting circuit and that become routine, then the ego demands a larger venue. It is then that Ego Driven Departures occur. Fellowship with organizations and ministers are severed because of a "desire" to reach the world. A bigger stage is demanded and you have "arrived." After all, the go that is awakened demands to cintinually be fed. The words "I die daily" are soon forgotten in the world of "I" "Me" and "Mine."

Oh, most will never admit that their ego is what drives them. To do so would work at cross purposes to true ministry. It is easier to depart and ridicule those who remain. (Except for those few who will pay the Ego Driven Minister enough to continue to preach in their pulpit). The Ego Driven Ministry all of a sudden gets a "name." Usually that of the Ego Driven minister. Somehow Jesus gets left out of a lot of those ministry names. Go figure...

While not all who leave do so because of Ego Driven ministry, there are indeed those who do. The old adage is "Time Tells All." Indeed it does. Maybe not today; or tomorrow; or even a year from now. But in the course of time all Ego Driven Ministries will come to an end of themselves.

May God help all of those called to the High Calling of the Ministry of Jesus Christ ever keep their ego on the altar and let all glory truly go to Him that deserves it.

So true rrford. God has called us to a great and high calling-to serve, which means we are to be servants at heart.
No room for ego in being a servant.
May we always remember that.

Thank you.

God Bless!

Ron.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:21 AM
delete account

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post

Bro. Ford,

While I agree with most of what you have to say here, because I have seen and witnessed it...I have also seen where those who's ministries are in demand be criticized and demeaned by other ministers that are 'jealous' of how God uses them.

Many of us would all like to be noticed [human nature], and lifted up in our ministries by those we know and respect, but such is not always the case. Many people who minister take a behind the scenes approach and are content to let others get the acclaim or the notariety, if you would. Then we have a separate group of 'wanna bes' who tear down, criticize, and make comments that others have ego problems when it is not them with the ego problem.

I think that this is the reason that we are told not to judge. I know in my own life...the things I have judged others for has come back to me in unexpected ways...and I realize what is happening and feel sad.

JMHO.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Some guys whne they step to the podium it seems they expect the crowd to begin singing "How Great Thou Art." Ego has destroyed men that worldiness never could. I heard an ole preacher say once when folks keep saying nice things about be careful not to believe it. After all IF and lasting good is done by what we as preachers preach it is HIM that used us and did it. And he can use someone else just as good or better. When God rejected Saul the knife in the gut was I have found a BETTER man than you. Modern day Sauls say how on earth could that be?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM

RRford, this was fantastic, however another element or two may play into the mix.

Ministers as you described are also very very conscience of their name and their legacy in the organization/city/church/nation. Therefore, combined with the elements you described it causes them to work more toward fortifying their name and reputation than other matters they should be focusing on. This in turn creates the narcissistic minister who believes that folks in the church are doing his work as he does the work of God...the good old, work for me as I work for Christ syndrome.

I went into a UPC church one time with a friend of mine and NO LIE, there were at least 10-15 huge portraits of the pastor and his wife hanging around the foyer. My friend lived in that town and went to another type of church, he made the comment, "There are x number of pictures of the pastor but I don't see one single cross."

Of course not all are as you described, but when a minister is more concerned about his name...well, you said it better than I could ever hope.

Another warning to young ministers...