Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Go Dodgers!

Myspace Virus

An identity-stealing computer virus that masks itself as an offer for a free Macy's gift card has invaded the social networking site MySpace, WCBSTV.com reported Friday.

The "phishing" scam reportedly is targeting the site's younger users, appearing as an email from a friend and prompting them to click on a link to retreive a $500 Macy's gift certificate. After clicking on the link, users are bumped to a fake MySpace log-in page and asked to re-enter their username and password. There, the information is being stolen by the third-party "phisher."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310462,00.html

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Hey Prax there is one from Blue China doll that is all over myspace.It does it with Stalker Tracker.com
The best way to combat it is to set your page to have to approve comments before they are added and also to remember to set your internet browser to
not automatically remember your password.The other thing is to periodically
change your password.The stalker tracker did it to my page and also many of my friends.It really ticked me off because it showed marijuana buds and profane language so I did some study on it and found out how they spam you and get into your page.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Go Dodgers!

I wonder how that works....is it a link you have to click on?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Administrator

A lot of times the viruses are embedded in the bulletins section or in comments. A friend of mine told me that even opening a bulletin to read it, they can steal your password. I guess it has a trojan virus attached somehow.

I haven't read any bulletins that anyone has put on there since then. I figure if they want me to see something, they can email it to me. Then my virus scanner can catch it if there's anything attached.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Thats a thought Sister Tina.One of the things you do is set the comments to have to be accepted.I don't think its in the bulletins.I had never opened one when it happened to me.I do believe however that when friends post comments that some of the sites they get them from can have a virus written in the codes.All they need to do is to get your password and then post on your friends pages.When I get a comment or bling I don't automatically enter my code to get it on my page.I copy it and paste it.If you
enter your code you can be spammed.I was very upset about the fact that my comments were turning into marijuana and stalker tracker comments.I noticed it on friends pages before they sent me comments and had I known I would not have allowed the comments until they cleaned their browsers off.
Go to your internet options and delete your browsing history and passwords etc and set your browser not to remember them.When you are on myspace
if you suddenly a page pops up that is the same page on myspace asking for your password again and you knew you were logged in click off my space and
go delete your browser history and passwords then go back to myspace
and relog in.I know its a hassle but if you like the page and the interaction you have to stay ahead of the geeks.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Other than typing my email address and password in one of the links or something of that nature, there isn't any way someone could steal my password is there? My cousin had her password stolen by putting her email address and password in a link that was supposed to be a tracker. Then it sent out adds to all her friends.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
Other than typing my email address and password in one of the links or something of that nature, there isn't any way someone could steal my password is there?
There is if you clicked the check box, like here, to log you in when you visit or to save the PW as they get stored in cookies.

Also if there is a spyware on the system that monitors key strokes and it "calls home" then yes

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
There is if you clicked the check box, like here, to log you in when you visit or to save the PW as they get stored in cookies.

Also if there is a spyware on the system that monitors key strokes and it "calls home" then yes
Can someone steal the password if the box is checked but I have to enter the password every time?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post

I may be wrong, but I think on Myspace, even if you check the "remember me" box, the password doesn't save. "I think"

In most of these scams, you have to click the link that is provided.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post
I may be wrong, but I think on Myspace, even if you check the "remember me" box, the password doesn't save. "I think"

In most of these scams, you have to click the link that is provided.
True. My email address gets saved my clicking the box but not the password.