Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

MMA--Mixed Martial Arts

I am a fan of the UFC--Ultimate Fighting Championship. It is also known as MMA. I used to not be a fan. I thought it was a blood spot aking to tough man competitions. Well a friend got me into watching them. Often times after each fight is complete the men hug and high five, some pray with one another among other things. Does anyone here watch these too? Are you against them, for them? If against, why? If for, why?

I now view this as a sport due to the sportsmanship of the competitors. I throughly enjoy these and often order them on Pay-per-view. So what do you all think about them?

For those that watch did you see Churck Liddel get knocked out the last fight? I am a huge Liddel fan and I am still in shock.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Re: MMA--Mixed Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
I am a fan of the UFC--Ultimate Fighting Championship. It is also known as MMA. I used to not be a fan. I thought it was a blood spot aking to tough man competitions. Well a friend got me into watching them. Often times after each fight is complete the men hug and high five, some pray with one another among other things. Does anyone here watch these too? Are you against them, for them? If against, why? If for, why?

I now view this as a sport due to the sportsmanship of the competitors. I throughly enjoy these and often order them on Pay-per-view. So what do you all think about them?

For those that watch did you see Churck Liddel get knocked out the last fight? I am a huge Liddel fan and I am still in shock.
I really like MMA. I watched the first UFC way back in the 1990s and I loved it then. Now they have a few more rules and are bringing in really talented fighters. I don't watch that often as I just don't have the time but I love the strategy of the ground game vs ground and pound vs stand up. I hope that in the years to come that MMA can become bigger than boxing.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Mr. Stewart

I have the first several UFCs on video tape. I think that MMA is certainly going to be bigger than boxing. Just look at how many different variations of MMA shows there are on television compared to boxing based shows. Boxing based shows can't last two seasons.

And JT...Liddell is finished

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
I have the first several UFCs on video tape. I think that MMA is certainly going to be bigger than boxing. Just look at how many different variations of MMA shows there are on television compared to boxing based shows. Boxing based shows can't last two seasons.

And JT...Liddell is finished
That was the craziest knock out I have ever seen. I said to my buddies that IF Liddell fights again he will be lucky. A hit like that could end a career 4-sure! You going to watch any of the up coming UFC pay-per-view? I can not wait til Anderson Silva fights later in OCT.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:

they can be bloody and nasty, but usually since they are often just grappling it's not that bad

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I enjoy watching MMA fights and enjoy training and doing some medium sparing myself! I haven't had any good grappling training though . I like it though!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
That was the craziest knock out I have ever seen. I said to my buddies that IF Liddell fights again he will be lucky. A hit like that could end a career 4-sure! You going to watch any of the up coming UFC pay-per-view? I can not wait til Anderson Silva fights later in OCT.
I try to catch them whenever I can. I never actually order them. I'm not sure if anybody is going to beat Silva anytime soon. I'm actually pretty curious about Lesnar. He impresses me with his willingness to fight some of the best even though he is not polished yet. I'm not sure I would do it that way myself, but at least he's not like Kimbo who is just fighting old washed up guys. Did you hear that he's fighting Ken Shamrock next?

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

I havent seen any MMA stuff in years! Miss it actually but dont have time to sit down and watch anything. I used to also be heavily involved in kickboxing and actually was into it semi pro myself but wow... oh to be in that good of shape again ROFL!!!

Dont even have a clue who all is involved in any of the stuff anymore much less get the chance to watch it
Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingGrace View Post
I havent seen any MMA stuff in years! Miss it actually but dont have time to sit down and watch anything. I used to also be heavily involved in kickboxing and actually was into it semi pro myself but wow... oh to be in that good of shape again ROFL!!!

Dont even have a clue who all is involved in any of the stuff anymore much less get the chance to watch it
It's becoming huge now. There are so many shows based on it now that you almost can't avoid it.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
It's becoming huge now. There are so many shows based on it now that you almost can't avoid it.
Sniff sniff. I guess I need to spend a week home in front of the tube then cuz I seem to miss it real bad lately LOL... Seriously I used to plan my days around watching stuff like this and now its forever!

Going to skim the channels now and see when the next something is on uh huh! YEP!

Thanks! Its all your fault!