Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't ask.

Re: I've Been Praying Alot Lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind View Post
well I agree Timmy, that messages can be natural phenomena and that faith is not proof. What is more sure is the bible that we have as the word of God. That's why I question Michlow if God told her to leave church when the bible says not to forsake the assembly.

I still believe God can communicate but does so rarely. Why? I don't know. I think God may have wanted Michlow to go to another church.
That doesn't sound like an "unorthodox route".
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
That doesn't sound like an "unorthodox route".
not sure God would speak so plainly. why does Michlow get a speacial path to God while millions have to rely on an orthodox route? On second thought maybe what I'm saying is I don't believe Michlow had a divine encounter but a natural one.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
not sure God would speak so plainly. why does Michlow get a speacial path to God while millions have to rely on an orthodox route? On second thought maybe what I'm saying is I don't believe Michlow had a divine encounter but a natural one.
Why did Noah & his family get the ark, while millions died? Why did Moses get the burning bush? Why did Jesus heal some, but not others?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Well, that's your opinion, and it would be my opinion, too, and, from what she said, Mich may allow for the possibility that it wasn't literally a divine message. But it was a profound experience, and she took action based on it, and attributes it to God. Who are we to second-guess what she thinks about it? We weren't there. We didn't experience it.

And the same can be said for every claimed message or miracle. Which reminds me: it isn't just Apostolics who believe God does talks to them and does things for them. And it isn't just Pentecostals. It isn't just Christians, even! What's up with that?

But what about the more insidious cases? God's direct commands have been cited for lots of strange, sometimes horrible, actions. Do we have any basis to say they were wrong, or lying? Not all of these messages contradict scripture, for example.

Why am I not surprised?

Last edited by Timmy; 05-28-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlow View Post
Why did Noah & his family get the ark, while millions died? Why did Moses get the burning bush? Why did Jesus heal some, but not others?
Now you are placing youself in the realm of Noah and Moses? The bible clearly states that some were not healed due to lack of faith. So I expect that God is going to use you to affect humanity in the same way He used Noah and Moses? God has ordained that by the foolishness of preaching, men shall be saved that believe. Ministry is God ordained. Why is it that you can experience God and be saved without a minister, without a church and without a bible? I think you are swimming against the current and I don't believe that God would direct you this way. What is the ultimate goal? A personal mountain top experience? The ultimate goal should be to save others and fulfill the great commission. How can you disciple others if you don't believe in ministry, church or the bible?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Don't ask.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Well, that's your opinions, and it would be my opinion, too, and, from what she said, Mich may allow for the possibility that it wasn't literally a divine message. But it was a profound experience, and she took action based on it, and attributes it to God. Who are we to second-guess what she thinks about it? We weren't there. We didn't experience it.

And the same can be said for every claimed message or miracle. Which reminds me: it isn't just Apostolics who believe God does talks to them and does things for them. And it isn't just Pentecostals. It isn't just Christians, even! What's up with that?

But what about the more insidious cases? God's direct commands have been cited for lots of strange, sometimes horrible, actions. Do we have any basis to say they were wrong, or lying? Not all of these messages contradict scripture, for example.
I think scripture is the only rule we have to go by. And a healthy dose of skepticism.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
I think scripture is the only rule we have to go by. And a healthy dose of skepticism.
I guess my problem is an unhealthy dose!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
Now you are placing youself in the realm of Noah and Moses? The bible clearly states that some were not healed due to lack of faith. So I expect that God is going to use you to affect humanity in the same way He used Noah and Moses? God has ordained that by the foolishness of preaching, men shall be saved that believe. Ministry is God ordained. Why is it that you can experience God and be saved without a minister, without a church and without a bible? I think you are swimming against the current and I don't believe that God would direct you this way. What is the ultimate goal? A personal mountain top experience? The ultimate goal should be to save others and fulfill the great commission. How can you disciple others if you don't believe in ministry, church or the bible?
LOL

I consider myself nothing like Noah and Moses. And I really doubt God is going to use me to perform some mighty work, nor do I particularly have any desire to. Which is not to say that I don't want to leave this world a little better for my presence in it.

I spent a decade of my life obsessed about God, religion, church, heaven/hell, salvation, the Bible, Doctrine, etc. Now it's taken a very very reduced role in my life.

I'm not really looking for anything from God. If he exists and he loves me and he wants to be part of my life, great. But if that's true, he understands exactly why I keep him at arms length. Maybe he's working on correcting that, I don't know. Where my faith comes in, is where I keep myself as open to Him as I am capable of being.

But honestly, that is the extent to which spirituality plays in my life.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlow View Post
LOL

I consider myself nothing like Noah and Moses. And I really doubt God is going to use me to perform some mighty work, nor do I particularly have any desire to. Which is not to say that I don't want to leave this world a little better for my presence in it.

I spent a decade of my life obsessed about God, religion, church, heaven/hell, salvation, the Bible, Doctrine, etc. Now it's taken a very very reduced role in my life.

I'm not really looking for anything from God. If he exists and he loves me and he wants to be part of my life, great. But if that's true, he understands exactly why I keep him at arms length. Maybe he's working on correcting that, I don't know. Where my faith comes in, is where I keep myself as open to Him as I am capable of being.

But honestly, that is the extent to which spirituality plays in my life.
Michlow, you totally dodged my line of argument. The bible says that by the foolishness of preaching, men would be saved that believed. God ordained ministry as the vehicle of salvation. How do you think you can be saved without ministry? Even ministers have other ministries in their lives.