Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Re: Timmy Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I believe this is more akin to "leaving the house" so to speak.

On a another note however. I have had a strained relationship with my mother at one point when she had feelings about my wife I felt were inappropriate. I took the side of my wife letting my mother know that she could accept us both or none at all. She come around and in the end found out her feelings were wrong. We have a wonderful relationship today.
I am glad the relationship is better today. My brother always made it a point to visit with my parents alone and kept a wonderful close relationship with them, till the end. I really think that is important, although you have a family, that you don't push away your first family. I think when there is that friction there, it could be because the mom is feeling like she lost her son, instead of feeling like she gained a daughter in law. Did that make sense to you?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I should say, not all the time alone, but my brother would make it a point to also have alone time with his parents.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws4It View Post
Here's one for your opinion. What I want to know is how far does 'leave' mean? Does it mean not taking care of the parents when they are elderly? I see a lot of young people taking this literally and acting like this scripture gives them the freedom to block their parents, family, out of their lives. What do you think?

Mar 10:7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
As you may have noticed, I often express concern over certain scriptures being taken "too literally", but this one hasn't been on my hit list. It seems to me, as Scotty said, it's just referring to the normal way of things. Kids grow up and "leave" their parents' household and venture out on their own.

Now, if some people are taking it too literally, and cutting all ties and accepting no responsibility of their parents' care in old age, that's pretty sad. I guess it goes to show that some people can take anything to ridiculous extremes, if they're so inclined.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I believe this is more akin to "leaving the house" so to speak.

On a another note however. I have had a strained relationship with my mother at one point when she had feelings about my wife I felt were inappropriate. I took the side of my wife letting my mother know that she could accept us both or none at all. She come around and in the end found out her feelings were wrong. We have a wonderful relationship today.
Good to hear. I should add to what I just posted, and say that there is a time for putting your foot down, if a parent goes too far in trying to "help" their kids after they've left the nest. Parents may have some good wisdom to offer, but they should try to understand that, at some point, the kids need to be able to make their own decisions.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Good to hear. I should add to what I just posted, and say that there is a time for putting your foot down, if a parent goes too far in trying to "help" their kids after they've left the nest. Parents may have some good wisdom to offer, but they should try to understand that, at some point, the kids need to be able to make their own decisions.
I have used the following concept.

When you are around too much your parents will go back into mom & dad mode and will start getting into your business again. When they haven't seen a whole lot of you then they are more apt to just visit without getting into your business so much.

I put the concept in a nutshell as follows. "It is important to maintain celebrity status."

Also... don't tell them anything you don't want them to butt in about. If you tell them your business they will get into your business.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

What about the old days when everyone lived together? Do you think familys were closer?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
What about the old days when everyone lived together? Do you think familys were closer?
Good point, and I had considered pointing that out. Yes, multigenerational households used to be more common than they are today. My maternal grandmother lived with us when I was a kid. I don't recall any friction that this caused, but who knows? Maybe they just hid it from us kids.

Still, I think the scripture in question could apply to a "virtual" leaving, even if three (or more) generations are living under one roof. In a healthy family, the partriach(s)/matriarch(s) would be there to help and advise, the but would leave the actual child-reading and final decisions to their kids.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I agree with you that the actual child-rearing would be left to the parents, but the fact that wisdom comes with age makes me think a lot of young people wouldnt be going down these crazy roads if they held respect for that wisdom! With the way the world is sliding away from Godly living I think we need to get back to the old paths, the old ways where there was that respect and closeness of the familys. Remember the saying it takes a villiage to raise a child? Now you cannot even voice an opinion! I really believe this is a big view into how the young people now a days think it's okay to sleep together before marriage and the rest of it that they are doing, because you know their parents and grandparents are not telling them they have their blessings afterall. If it were like the old days, more people would care what the elders said.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Look at this one;
Ecc 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

(If I am getting past what you wanted to accomplish on this blog, please forgive me, but I am thinking it is to discuss scripture? If I am not right, please advise me. )
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Look at this one;
Ecc 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

(If I am getting past what you wanted to accomplish on this blog, please forgive me, but I am thinking it is to discuss scripture? If I am not right, please advise me. )
No problem.

Why am I not surprised?