Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
mary

Re: Timmy Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
That makes sense. Again!
Thanks! I'm a sensible person

....sometimes.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't ask.

Danger! Danger!

You are in serious danger. But you already know that. Don't you? But I'm getting ahead of myself. This is the danger I am talking about: FALSE PROPHETS!

The Bible warns you about them. Jesus said they would work signs and wonders to try to deceive you. So, if someone claims to be a prophet, or does prophet stuff, watch out! And if they perform a miracle to convince you they're the real deal, make sure it's a real miracle and not a false one.

Just sayin'.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
mary

Re: Danger! Danger!

Quote:
You are in serious danger. But you already know that. Don't you? But I'm getting ahead of myself. This is the danger I am talking about: FALSE PROPHETS!

The Bible warns you about them. Jesus said they would work signs and wonders to try to deceive you. So, if someone claims to be a prophet, or does prophet stuff, watch out! And if they perform a miracle to convince you they're the real deal, make sure it's a real miracle and not a false one.

Just sayin'.
Why are we in serious danger? Are you claiming to be a prophet or a false prophet? What's "prophet stuff"?

Seriously though, in my book people claiming to be prophets are automatically suspect of needing that adjective attached to their self-appointed title. A real prophet doesn't usually have to make an announcement.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
Why are we in serious danger? Are you claiming to be a prophet or a false prophet? What's "prophet stuff"?

Seriously though, in my book people claiming to be prophets are automatically suspect of needing that adjective attached to their self-appointed title. A real prophet doesn't usually have to make an announcement.
That's why I added "or does prophet stuff". If they speak for God, they are a prophet, even if they don't label themselves as a prophet.

Now, about those real prophets: you are probably in serious danger of not accepting them, just as much as accepting a false prophet, don't you think? If someone says to you "God told me to tell you to move to China", well, if he's right, you better start packing. Think of the consequences if you disobey God! I shudder to think!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
That's why I added "or does prophet stuff". If they speak for God, they are a prophet, even if they don't label themselves as a prophet.

Now, about those real prophets: you are probably in serious danger of not accepting them, just as much as accepting a false prophet, don't you think? If someone says to you "God told me to tell you to move to China", well, if he's right, you better start packing. Think of the consequences if you disobey God! I shudder to think!
Forgot to answer your first two questions.

Why are we in serious danger? The Bible says so.

Are you claiming to be a prophet or a false prophet? Neither.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
mary

Quote:
...Now, about those real prophets: you are probably in serious danger of not accepting them, just as much as accepting a false prophet, don't you think? If someone says to you "God told me to tell you to move to China", well, if he's right, you better start packing. Think of the consequences if you disobey God! I shudder to think!
How many times in the OT did a prophet go to an individual? Prophets anointed Saul, David, and Solomon, Elijah threw his mantle on Elisha, and Nathan talked to David after the Bathsheba incident. How many other times? What did these prophets tell the people they met to do? Usually, their prophecy was a confirmation of something God was already dealing with the person about. The anointings were different, but they were also very rare. Most prophets spoke to an entire nation or group, too, not just to an individual. And what they said ALWAYS lined up with the law and the other prophets, if they were real prophets.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
How many times in the OT did a prophet go to an individual? Prophets anointed Saul, David, and Solomon, Elijah threw his mantle on Elisha, and Nathan talked to David after the Bathsheba incident. How many other times? What did these prophets tell the people they met to do? Usually, their prophecy was a confirmation of something God was already dealing with the person about.
I may be wrong here, but I think that's backwards. Usually that wasn't the case. Besides, what does it matter how many times it happened?

Quote:
The anointings were different, but they were also very rare. Most prophets spoke to an entire nation or group, too, not just to an individual. And what they said ALWAYS lined up with the law and the other prophets, if they were real prophets.
A command to move to China lines up with the word. A command to sacrifice your son does not. (Though, in Abe's case, it wasn't a word from a prophet, it was a direct command from God. Just sayin'. Oh, but there was 1 Kings 20:35-36, which was a command given through a prophet, and it most definitely did not line up with the law. Just sayin'.)

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
mary

Quote:
I may be wrong here, but I think that's backwards. Usually that wasn't the case. Besides, what does it matter how many times it happened?
I may have it backwards, but I'd like a few passages to back up that it's the other way, if it is. Remember, times the prophet went to a person, not that a person came to or called a prophet.

Quote:
A command to move to China lines up with the word. A command to sacrifice your son does not. (Though, in Abe's case, it wasn't a word from a prophet, it was a direct command from God. Just sayin'. Oh, but there was 1 Kings 20:35-36, which was a command given through a prophet, and it most definitely did not line up with the law. Just sayin'.)
A command to move to China isn't in or out of the word. God talked to Abraham, not a prophet. And God stopped Abraham before he carried through.

1 Kings 20:35-36 is odd, you're right.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
I may have it backwards, but I'd like a few passages to back up that it's the other way, if it is. Remember, times the prophet went to a person, not that a person came to or called a prophet.
There's no indication (unless it's mentioned later?) that David had a God-given (or otherwise) plan to become king before Samuel anointed him. Jesse was taken by surprise, too. (1 Sam 16.) Same for Saul. (1 Sam 9.)

Don't know about all the cases, and I'm not inclined to do a complete study of the issue. But, again, what does it matter how often this happened? If one believes that God uses prophets today, one must be open to the possibility that the messages they deliver to us just might be out of the blue!

Quote:
A command to move to China isn't in or out of the word. God talked to Abraham, not a prophet. And God stopped Abraham before he carried through.
And that matters.... how? This is a case of God speaking to someone in a way that utterly goes against His own law. Abe believed it and obeyed, but, if he had followed the advice to test the message against the word, he would not have believed it, and would not have taken steps to obey it.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
1 Kings 20:35-36 is odd, you're right.
Aren't I always?

Why am I not surprised?