Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-02-2024, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Sabbath Keeping Denominations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
What is meant by "the foundation"?

Either way, the two greatest commandments are the broadest, so that all other commandments are encompassed by them ("upon these two hang all the law" and the commandments are "comprehended" in those two, as Paul put it). Thus the various commands, statutes, judgments etc are but the Divinely appointed mechanisms by which we love God and our neighbour.

Some folks though think if they love God and their neighbour they are thereby not required to do any of the specific acts of love given as the various commandments. Kind of like people who claim they believe in Jesus or love Jesus but refuse to believe and obey His teachings.
Yup. My point was about the flaws in the argument that the 10 commandments are what carried over to the new and nothing more nothing less because they are some sort of core or foundation of the moral law.

I was just demonstrating the flaw of the argument in many fronts: the whole idea of “moral” and such classification; the whole idea of the “core”ness of the 10 commandments and their reason to be the core commandments for the New Testament, etc…

My point is the entire law is moral, and everything is binding as the starting point because the entire law determines what it is sin. The question is not what is core and what it is not to identify what is binding in the new, but rather what is discontinued and what is not after the new covenant.
"The entirety of Your word is truth" (Ps 119:160)
Old 08-02-2024, 02:40 PM
This is still that!

The ten commandments were the original covenant with the Israelites. That was what I meant by foundational. A founding document.
They sinned in the incident with Aaron fashioning a Golden Calf. Moses broke the tablets.
The commandments were then rewritten.
After that, God gave Moses an addition to the ten commandments, the book of the Law, because of their transgression, which included penalties.
The book of the law also contained additional laws about human relationships, laws related to animal sacrifices and the tabernacle.
After the new covenant, much of the book of the Law that was written after the Golden Calf transgression was either fulfilled in Christ, or gained a spiritual rather than a literal application.
This is how I understand it.
But regardless the ten commandments stand as written.

Last edited by Amanah; 08-02-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 03:10 PM
This is still that!

God gave Moses the Ten Commandments, written on tablets of stone (Exodus 31:18, Deuteronomy 9:10-11), and instructed Moses to build the Ark of the Covenant to house them (Exodus 25:21, Deuteronomy 10:1-5).

He gave Moses an additional set of instructions, known as the Book of the Law (Deuteronomy 31:9-13, 24-26), which contained further regulations, ordinances, and laws.

These additional laws were not written on stone tablets but were recorded on scrolls or parchments (Deuteronomy 31:9, 24). Instead of being placed inside the Ark, they were kept on the side of the Ark (Deuteronomy 31:26), serving as a companion to the Ten Commandments.

This distinction highlights the importance of both the Ten Commandments (the foundation of God's moral law) and the Book of the Law (additional instructions for living out that moral law in everyday life). Together, they provided a comprehensive guide for the Israelites' relationship with God and each other.

Scripture references:

- Exodus 31:18 - When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.
- Deuteronomy 9:10-11 - The Lord gave me the two stone tablets inscribed by the finger of God. On them were all the commandments the Lord proclaimed to you on the mountain out of the fire, on the day of the assembly.
- Exodus 25:21 - Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the tablets of the covenant law that I will give you.
- Deuteronomy 10:1-5 - At that time the Lord said to me, 'Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones and come up to me on the mountain, so that I may give you the tablets of the covenant law...'
- Deuteronomy 31:9-13, 24-26 - So Moses wrote down this law and gave it to the Levitical priests... 'Take this Book of the Law and place it beside the ark of the covenant law of the Lord your God. It shall remain there as a witness against you.
-Deuteronomy 31:26-28 KJV
Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

Last edited by Amanah; 08-02-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:32 PM
This is still that!

May the peace and tranquility of the Sabbath be upon you.

As the world slows its pace and the stillness of the day enfolds us, May your heart find rest and your soul find renewal.

May the blessings of the Sabbath bring you joy, comfort, and strength, And may the love of Yahweh be your guide and companion.

Shabbat Shalom
Old 08-02-2024, 09:00 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Yup. My point was about the flaws in the argument that the 10 commandments are what carried over to the new and nothing more nothing less because they are some sort of core or foundation of the moral law.

I was just demonstrating the flaw of the argument in many fronts: the whole idea of “moral” and such classification; the whole idea of the “core”ness of the 10 commandments and their reason to be the core commandments for the New Testament, etc…

My point is the entire law is moral, and everything is binding as the starting point because the entire law determines what it is sin. The question is not what is core and what it is not to identify what is binding in the new, but rather what is discontinued and what is not after the new covenant.
I agree with this, basically we are making the same point.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-02-2024, 09:08 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
God gave Moses the Ten Commandments, written on tablets of stone (Exodus 31:18, Deuteronomy 9:10-11), and instructed Moses to build the Ark of the Covenant to house them (Exodus 25:21, Deuteronomy 10:1-5).

He gave Moses an additional set of instructions, known as the Book of the Law (Deuteronomy 31:9-13, 24-26), which contained further regulations, ordinances, and laws.

These additional laws were not written on stone tablets but were recorded on scrolls or parchments (Deuteronomy 31:9, 24). Instead of being placed inside the Ark, they were kept on the side of the Ark (Deuteronomy 31:26), serving as a companion to the Ten Commandments.

This distinction highlights the importance of both the Ten Commandments (the foundation of God's moral law) and the Book of the Law (additional instructions for living out that moral law in everyday life). Together, they provided a comprehensive guide for the Israelites' relationship with God and each other.

Scripture references:

- Exodus 31:18 - When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.
- Deuteronomy 9:10-11 - The Lord gave me the two stone tablets inscribed by the finger of God. On them were all the commandments the Lord proclaimed to you on the mountain out of the fire, on the day of the assembly.
- Exodus 25:21 - Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the tablets of the covenant law that I will give you.
- Deuteronomy 10:1-5 - At that time the Lord said to me, 'Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones and come up to me on the mountain, so that I may give you the tablets of the covenant law...'
- Deuteronomy 31:9-13, 24-26 - So Moses wrote down this law and gave it to the Levitical priests... 'Take this Book of the Law and place it beside the ark of the covenant law of the Lord your God. It shall remain there as a witness against you.
-Deuteronomy 31:26-28 KJV
Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.
Yes, the two great commandments (which were not part of the Decalogue!) are obeyed via the Decalogue. Which in turn is applied to everyday life via the statutes, judgments, and ordinances.

What are we to do? Love God and our neighbour.

How? The 10 Commandments.

As applied to various situations? The statutes, judgments, ordinances, etc.

And the corrections against manmade interpolations, additions, etc? Found in the doctrine and example of Christ and His apostles.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-02-2024, 11:54 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
May the peace and tranquility of the Sabbath be upon you.

As the world slows its pace and the stillness of the day enfolds us, May your heart find rest and your soul find renewal.

May the blessings of the Sabbath bring you joy, comfort, and strength, And may the love of Yahweh be your guide and companion.

Shabbat Shalom
When did you become a judaizer?
Old 08-03-2024, 02:45 AM
This is still that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
when did you become a judaizer?
יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ
Old 08-03-2024, 06:46 AM
This is still that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Yes, the two great commandments (which were not part of the Decalogue!) are obeyed via the Decalogue. Which in turn is applied to everyday life via the statutes, judgments, and ordinances.

What are we to do? Love God and our neighbour.

How? The 10 Commandments.

As applied to various situations? The statutes, judgments, ordinances, etc.

And the corrections against manmade interpolations, additions, etc? Found in the doctrine and example of Christ and His apostles.
The application of the 10 commandments is easy.

The application of The Book of the Law is complicated.

Last edited by Amanah; 08-03-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2024, 07:59 AM
This is still that!

The Sabbath, established at creation (Genesis 2:2-3), is a universal principle for all humanity, transcending later covenantal laws. As the Israel of God (Galatians 6:16), the Church is the spiritual successor to the ancient Israelites and the rightful heir to this universal principle.

By incorporating the Sabbath into the creation narrative, God sets a universal mandate for humanity, which is later reaffirmed in the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) and observed by Jesus (Luke 4:16). This universal principle is not limited to ancient Israel but extends to all people, as the Sabbath is a moral law written on the heart by the Holy Ghost (Romans 2:15).

Last edited by Amanah; 08-03-2024 at 08:25 AM.