Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
I am neither an us or a them. I am stuck out in the middle somewhere. But even I can see the hypocrisy involved here.
Hypocracy?

Give me a break...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
Renda, you are right on the money, the fact that I dance instead of march to the beat of a different drummer is testimony enough.

All I was saying was that I observed the same sort of attitude in this women who has no qualms about dressing in her habit (based on a committment to God) but that there is a certain...something about her countenance that I have observed to be present in Apostolic women as they present themselves in public. The simple message is that I am holy, committed to God, etc...and you are not.

Is that not the true and honest message of separation?

...be honest.

...just thinking out loud.
Carp, believe it or not the mesage could simply be "I am holy and separated unto God." It does not have to have anything to do woth the "and you are not."

2 women I can think of who exemplify the view I have espoused come to mind: My wife and yours.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
Carp, believe it or not the mesage could simply be "I am holy and separated unto God." It does not have to have anything to do woth the "and you are not."

2 women I can think of who exemplify the view I have espoused come to mind: My wife and yours.
Touche' and I would most certainly agree about those two ladies and many many others...but consider the issue on a global perspective.

I am talking about the attitude toward SEPARATION FROM THE WORLD, which holiness standards is now referred to.

Separation from the world by making yourself look more holy, or more acceptable, is certainly intended to send a message. Everyone on the planet sends non-verbal cultural messages. The message is I dress because I feel this is acceptable to God, and I look different from you because, well...

Could it be that God does not have that expectation for this type of separation?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

God said, "Come out from among them, and be ye separate..."

Who would "them" be if not the world?

Jesus said, "Ye are in the world, but not of the world."
Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Touche' and I would most certainly agree about those two ladies and many many others...but consider the issue on a global perspective.

I am talking about the attitude toward SEPARATION FROM THE WORLD, which holiness standards is now referred to.

Separation from the world by making yourself look more holy, or more acceptable, is certainly sends a message. Everyone on the planet sends non-verbal cultural messages.

Could it be that God does not have that expectation for this type of separation?
It could be, but I doubt it. Personally, I am around Apostolics on a regular basis. Very rarely do I see the mindset put forth that you speak of. It does happen, but I do not consider it a normal reaction at all.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
I don't believe any of these are legitmate excuses or justifications for men not stepping up to the plate in spiritual matters. It is just as difficult for women to be celibate, and today men and women are in the workplace and women not only particate in secular work but carry the majority of household chores also.
1. Sorry but I know you know that young women don't think about sex nearly so much as young men driven to distraction by testosterone. I also mentioned that a person is frequently young when they make a choice to go in the direction of a priest or nun.

2. Active in the church includes making peanut brittle and food for after the funerals. Although many Apostolic women work outside the home; few put in the same hours working as their husbands. Many more women have chosen to sacrafice much to be at home with the kids and have more flexibility with their schedules than their husbands do.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
God said, "Come out from among them, and be ye separate..."

Who would "them" be if not the world?

Jesus said, "Ye are in the world, but not of the world."
Believe it or not, I know some women who wear the uniform that inwardly are more like the world than wicked women I have only read about. Also, there are women who possess the fruits of the spirit and are mentally, emotionally, and spiritually separated, yet I couldn't pick them out of a crowd.

I am not sure and I question which is more important?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Separation from the world by making yourself look more holy, or more acceptable, is certainly intended to send a message. Everyone on the planet sends non-verbal cultural messages. The message is I dress because I feel this is acceptable to God, and I look different from you because, well...

And I would disagree with your analysis of what that message is. The way one dresses is not intended to send a "message" per se to God or the world. It is simply the effect of one realizing God does expect modesty and moderation. The only message that sends is obedience to His word. Now we could extrapolate many more opinions into it, but at it's core I believe that should be the intent.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Believe it or not, I know some women who wear the uniform that inwardly are more like the world than wicked women I have only read about. Also, there are women who possess the fruits of the spirit and are mentally, emotionally, and spiritually separated, yet I couldn't pick them out of a crowd.

I am not sure and I question which is more important?
Does wither one have to be "more important?" Can it not be that one is not balanced without the other?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I have a tendency to think and consider things that are waaaay outside the mainstream mode of thought but only because I have been trained that thinking outside the theological and traditional box is pretty much sin.

I didn't condemn anyone, I am just saying, I saw and considered a parallel, regardless of how outrageous the thought was.

I see parallels of other things all the time, but they are not pertinent to this forum.
I am glad you share. You have a very interesting way of looking at things and at the very least provoke thought.