Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Backslider Justification & Delusion Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverBlessed View Post
This thread has been all over the place… I have had such mixed feelings… I look at people in general so different now. This is my input of the conversation at the table… I just keeping thinking…all people are souls… and belong to God.

not picking on Pressing on, but used her post here to quote because I had a question.

Why would you not be able to go into any community in your area as a white person? Why do you need a person of certain color to go? I understand if there is a language barrier, but we are talking about skin color here. We are all commissioned to go with the gospel. I was just wondering about that.

not saying this to upset anyone, but maybe we should think what does God think of our thoughts and words towards those people he created and loves so much?
I think when we speak in terms of ministry, we know that there is a light that can shine in any group or community. A witness that can identify with their pain and suffering, whereas, they may be offended by anyone else.

My sister and her husband were missionaries in Poland for a while. She told me that some of them get very defensive for us to come and minister to them because we do not know their suffering and pain.

Obviously, a member of our church (white) is acquainted with the woman (black) who attends. That is why she is here. She was invited. I can see you misunderstood my words and it's probably because of the way I wrote it.

Our local DA has put a lot of pressure on the black community because of their drugs. His life has been threatened and some think that he has pushed his bounds. So, that makes the black community not exactly friendly with the white community. It is a very huge problem. When you go to the grocery store, you are not sure who will be friendly when you smile and who will not. There is a lot of racial tension. I've had blacks glare at me when I smile at them. I want to say, "Hey, I am your friend! I don't dislike you."

Anyway, I hope that helps you understand the situation in my community. It's very intense. It is a trust factor we are trying to build. There has been a lot of hurt for a long time. I suppose my post made it sound as though we don't interact with our racial community, when that is not the case. Our church if half Hispanic and half white and a few blacks. They have two black Pentecostal churches in town and seem to stay at their church although we visit their church for singspirations.

I'm certain that we are not any different than you, Lisa, and could share all of the good deeds we have done for people and how tender our hearts are as well. We have Hispanic women doing Community Service in our church and we speak in a jail ministry,nursing home, etc. So, we don't sit behind the walls waiting for people to walk in.

Hope that clarifies.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Boneski View Post
thats exactly what I'm talking about in my thread question...the locking the door attitude toward a certain people...and it seems to be spreading like wildfire...it impacts the elderly, who can't fend for themselves, and the children, who are born into circumstances they had no control over...its a general attitude toward a group but most of us wouldn't dare think about them as individuals in the same way.
Any study of poverty shows this.

As a fiscal conservative, I have had to adjust some of my positions to this reality.

We point to a few exceptions as living proof that anyone can do it, and we should be rightfully inspired. But, the reality, poverty is not just having material needs met. It's a chokehold of oppression.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I think when we speak in terms of ministry, we know that there is a light that can shine in any group or community. A witness that can identify with their pain and suffering, whereas, they may be offended by anyone else.

My sister and her husband were missionaries in Poland for a while. She told me that some of them get very defensive for us to come and minister to them because we do not know their suffering and pain.

Obviously, a member of our church (white) is acquainted with the woman (black) who attends. That is why she is here. She was invited. I can see you misunderstood my words and it's probably because of the way I wrote it.

Our local DA has put a lot of pressure on the black community because of their drugs. His life has been threatened and some think that he has pushed his bounds. So, that makes the black community not exactly friendly with the white community. It is a very huge problem. When you go to the grocery store, you are not sure who will be friendly when you smile and who will not. There is a lot of racial tension. I've had blacks glare at me when I smile at them. I want to say, "Hey, I am your friend! I don't dislike you."

Anyway, I hope that helps you understand the situation in my community. It's very intense. It is a trust factor we are trying to build. There has been a lot of hurt for a long time. I suppose my post made it sound as though we don't interact with our racial community, when that is not the case. Our church if half Hispanic and half white and a few blacks. They have two black Pentecostal churches in town and seem to stay at their church although we visit their church for singspirations.

I'm certain that we are not any different than you, Lisa, and could share all of the good deeds we have done for people and how tender our hearts are as well. We have Hispanic women doing Community Service in our church and we speak in a jail ministry,nursing home, etc. So, we don't sit behind the walls waiting for people to walk in.

Hope that clarifies.
I think it clarifies, as far as I've read following along.

It's not a slam on your church, it sounds like the polity of your town. Such-and-such community and this community. It's an unfortunate common reality. It is, isn't it? Or is it better to remain segregated? Amazing how hard the battle for desegregation only to find neighborhoods completely segregated, and often by choice. But is it immoral? Is it natural?

I know in my own Utopia, we are a true melting pot, not conglomerated masses existing together.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

Hope that clarifies.
that clarifies your position, I wasn't condemning your church. I was asking the question as to why you prayed as you did. I do understand that racism is on both sides and there can be hostility. I know all about racism in a city as I grew up watching crosses burn two blocks from my house on the court house lawn.

I have talked with several of my brother and sisters in my church, and been surprised at views of being raised with some feelings of inferiority to some degree, this causes the defensiveness in some. True love however, will break down the barriers.

seems that Joey Boneski understands what I was truly writing about.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I think it clarifies, as far as I've read following along.

It's not a slam on your church, it sounds like the polity of your town. Such-and-such community and this community. It's an unfortunate common reality. It is, isn't it? Or is it better to remain segregated? Amazing how hard the battle for desegregation only to find neighborhoods completely segregated, and often by choice. But is it immoral? Is it natural?

I know in my own Utopia, we are a true melting pot, not conglomerated masses existing together.
Yes, you are correct, it's the polity of the town.

Quote:
It's an unfortunate common reality. It is, isn't it? Or is it better to remain segregated? Amazing how hard the battle for desegregation only to find neighborhoods completely segregated, and often by choice. But is it immoral? Is it natural?
I think that if you show yourself to be friendly, it will break down barriers for acceptance. Even if you don't congregate, fellowship, etc., at least you have shown you are accepting.

The old adage, IMO, is always at play, "Birds of a feather flock together". So, yes, to a degree, I believe it's natural. I think people congregate where they feel the most comfortable. I don't blame them for that. I understand it and I think we all do that to an extent.

I think every church takes on a certain personality and it doesn't work for everyone. So, I would give room for people to look around and find out where they feel comfortable and what fits best for them.

The black woman I was talking about attends her church, our church, another friend's Catholic Church and who know where else she goes. She's just all over town! Good way to make a comparison and talk about it, in my book. LOL! We had another black women receive the Holy Ghost a few months ago. She said, "I have never felt anything like I have here.", but she's never come back. We just do what we do and let God sort it out.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverBlessed View Post
that clarifies your position, I wasn't condemning your church. I was asking the question as to why you prayed as you did. I do understand that racism is on both sides and there can be hostility. I know all about racism in a city as I grew up watching crosses burn two blocks from my house on the court house lawn.

I have talked with several of my brother and sisters in my church, and been surprised at views of being raised with some feelings of inferiority to some degree, this causes the defensiveness in some. True love however, will break down the barriers.

seems that Joey Boneski understands what I was truly writing about.
Well, I prayed that prayer because one time I went to an UnderOath concert with my son in San Antonio. They are a Christian head-banging group. LOL! They were not the headliner, just the opening band.

We left after they played, BUT the hundreds of youth there! I never soooo many tattoos, nose, lip, eyebrow rings, black makeup, such clothing! I was very overwhelmed by it all.

When I got home, I prayed, "God, how in the world can we reach these children to show them there is more than what they have?" God spoke this to me, "Pray that I will send just one person into each community to bring them out."

So, basically, I saw what God could do with one person. Hence, my prayer.

I don't live where these people do. I don't see them or talk to them on a regular basis and I just thought that if someone that lived among them could be there, to witness, it would be a quicker work. Don't you think that's a good prayer? LOL!

Last edited by Pressing-On; 05-24-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

the way people approach each other and understand each other's culture differs from region to region...customs and old habits that say thats the way things are and always will be clog up the waters that divide us...in approaching our differences we should just let them be what they are and focus on the things that are the same...we all love our family, our children, our neighbors, and our heritage...and hopefully the saviour who sacrafied for all of us on a cross.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
That would be acceptable at the local church where I have been a member for these past 4 years.

I've taught midweek Bible Study while wearing a Tee shirt, shorts, and sandals.
I'll go on the record as saying I don't like this. Me personally, if i go to a church service, and the preacher is in sandals and shorts, I'm finding another church.

I don't believe you have to be dressed to the nines (I often preach without a tie, and sometimes in a short sleeve button up w/o a tie) but I don't think we ought to look like we're going to the beach or the gym either.

I know its an old testament scripture, but I've always kind of believed it to be a good principle to abide by, when in the Law God said "revenence my santuary." And yes, I know, we are the temple of the Holy Ghost, God doesn't dwell in buildings made with hands, and all that jazz, but i still think we ought to dress DECENT for church, especailly if we're leading service.

I don't have a problem with guests coming in basically anything, or members coming in denim, tee shirts, etc. Just so long as their modest. But (and I got love for you NOW) I don't like the holes in blue jeans preacher or hawaiian shirt preacher.

I always wondered why people actually pay (good money) for those torn up jeans. If I going to wear torn up jeans, I'll go buy them at Thrift Town.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yisroelm View Post
Friend what kind of godly stewardship is it to buy a pair of trousers with rips and slashes in them?
I was pretty glad that jeans with rips and tears in them became the style. Now, when my sons rip their jeans, we don't have to discard them! They are just cooler than ever. So that's pretty good stewardship... the jeans last and last and last.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Saved by Grace

well, I thought this thread was about the delusional backsliders, I've since tried to go through it and found out more than I ever knew about cotton.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill