Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

View Poll Results: Are all Catholics lost?
yes 5 25.00%
no 10 50.00%
maybe 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Are all Catholics lost?

Did I happen to mention that all Catholics are lost?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Only one true church, and it happens to be the exact doctrine you believe, and every one else is a phony and going to hell. How original.
Many are called few are chosen. Enter in at the strait gate and the narrow path which leads to eternal life. Yep, sounds exclusive to me. Oh, if you aren't following that exact doctrine I guess we should be attempting to do so. Instead of throwing our hands in the air saying oh well, and thinking we are going to get some cozy Bible study in the sky.

Good luck with that
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post

So how can a person be saved if they believe a doctrine the bible contradicts?
Like standards? You don't believe standards must be kept in order to obtain salvation (and I agree with your position).....but a large percentage of oneness pentecostals do (probably still the majority, though losing ground). You know those who hold that if a man has a beard, if a woman trims her hair, if anyone wears a sleeveless shirt, or a woman wears pants or even capris, a man wears shorts, etc, they are sinning and going to hell. They are teaching that people can't be saved without obeying their standards. They are cutting people off from grace. Would not the entire book of Galatians and the full force of Paul's disdain apply directly to these, your "brethren"?

How much correct doctrine must one believe to be saved? Are futurists saved? Calvinists? Oneness Sabbatarians? Do you believe everything right?

You ask the question
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post

So how can a person be saved if they believe a doctrine the bible contradicts?
I'm curious to see your answer.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Like standards? You don't believe standards must be kept in order to obtain salvation (and I agree with your position).....but a large percentage of oneness pentecostals do (probably still the majority, though losing ground). You know those who hold that if a man has a beard, if a woman trims her hair, if anyone wears a sleeveless shirt, or a woman wears pants or even capris, a man wears shorts, etc, they are sinning and going to hell. They are teaching that people can't be saved without obeying their standards. They are cutting people off from grace. Would not the entire book of Galatians and the full force of Paul's disdain apply directly to these, your "brethren"?

How much correct doctrine must one believe to be saved? Are futurists saved? Calvinists? Oneness Sabbatarians? Do you believe everything right?

You ask the question
So the flip side of this would be how much error can you be in and be saved?

Good grief
Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post

Many are called few are chosen. Enter in at the strait gate and the narrow path which leads to eternal life. Yep, sounds exclusive to me. Oh, if you aren't following that exact doctrine I guess we should be attempting to do so. Instead of throwing our hands in the air saying oh well, and thinking we are going to get some cozy Bible study in the sky.

Good luck with that
What I want to know is how you guys totally misappropriate the exclusivity of Christ (which is both Biblical and true) and equivocate that to oneness pentecostalism and all of its 103 year history to the exclusion of every other believer in history. Talk about taking a page out of the Jehovah's Witness' playbook.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
You ask the question
Yes, he asked the question. Usually when a person does that they are looking for an answer. Why, because they were curious first. Therefore he needs you to answer to satisfy his curiosity.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
What I want to know is how you guys totally misappropriate the exclusivity of Christ (which is both Biblical and true) and equivocate that to oneness pentecostalism and all of its 103 year history to the exclusion of every other believer in history. Talk about taking a page out of the Jehovah's Witness' playbook.
You don't want to know anything. You already have created a paradigm which has made a system inclusive. So, how much error can one be in and have eternal life?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post

So the flip side of this would be how much error can you be in a be saved?

Good grief
Fair question.

I'd say the book of 1 John is a good starting place.

One cannot deny that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, came in the flesh, died for our sins and rose again. Let's start there. This disqualifies heathens, Muslims, religious Jews, and all unbelievers. I'd say thats pretty narrow. Pretty exclusive.

But you guys go ahead and eliminate 99.9% of anyone who has borne the name of Christian throughout the church afe, when yall cant even decide amongst yourselves, who in your little sect are saved. The conservatives? The liberals? The moderates? The snake handlers? The sacred name people?

The conservatives think everyone else is lost, and then cut off other conservatives who don't meet their standards. The liberals are considered lost by everyone. And the moderates take it from both sides. The pentecostal specialty is condemning people. Let someone know enough about your beliefs and they'll eventually find a reason you're not really saved, so they think.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

I take it Jason B isn't an Apostolic Friend?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Fair question.

I'd say the book of 1 John is a good starting place.

One cannot deny that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, came in the flesh, died for our sins and rose again. Let's start there. This disqualifies heathens, Muslims, religious Jews, and all unbelievers. I'd say thats pretty narrow. Pretty exclusive.

But you guys go ahead and eliminate 99.9% of anyone who has borne the name of Christian throughout the church afe, when yall cant even decide amongst yourselves, who in your little sect are saved. The conservatives? The liberals? The moderates? The snake handlers? The sacred name people?

The conservatives think everyone else is lost, and then cut off other conservatives who don't meet their standards. The liberals are considered lost by everyone. And the moderates take it from both sides. The pentecostal specialty is condemning people. Let someone know enough about your beliefs and they'll eventually find a reason you're not really saved, so they think.
What about those who believed that Jesus wasn't God?
Does one have to believe that Jesus is God?
Jay Hoves weren't the first to come up with that.