Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Re: Justice Scalia is dead

May the Lord bless and comfort this Christian's family during their time of grief.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
May the Lord bless and comfort this Christian's family during their time of grief.
Amen.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Banned

Personally, I think we need a liberal Justice. While yes, abortion and gay marriage rulings were a disappointment to many, no SCOTUS is going to overturn Roe or the gay marriage ruling. However, the current SCOTUS has ruled in favor of corporate power over personal human liberties as it relates to property, labor, investments, credit, interest, contract law, and the environment. The "conservative justices" nearly always leading the charge and ruling in the majority over the more liberal Justices who seek to affirm civil rights. Massive corporations have nearly decimated the "mom and pop shop" and are essentially establishing multilayered conglomerates that are just another form of monopoly. And if you look into it, as it stands right now, corporations have more individual liberties than you and I do as individual citizens. This is currently one of the greatest threats to our society, our economy, and our liberties. We resisted this aggregated power and wealth in every form from the East India Company to the Monarchy of England. All of this is an abomination to everything America is about. Corporations should be regulated and managed for the public good. As history will attest, they can be quite dangerous as they gain power and yes, they nearly always reach to manipulate and take over governments. Corporations are not people and shouldn't be viewed as being people. I'll believe that corporations are people and entitled to the same rights as natural born persons when Texas executes one.

But that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-16-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Conservative vs liberal is nothing more than a cartoon entertainment for the plebes. It's all about power, privilege, and money. Oh, and building the New Atlantis (see F. Bacon for more info).

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Not riding the train

Old 02-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Personally, I think we need a liberal Justice. While yes, abortion and gay marriage rulings were a disappointment to many, no SCOTUS is going to overturn Roe or the gay marriage ruling. However, the current SCOTUS has ruled in favor of corporate power over personal human liberties as it relates to property, labor, investments, credit, interest, contract law, and the environment. The "conservative justices" nearly always leading the charge and ruling in the majority over the more liberal Justices who seek to affirm civil rights. Massive corporations have nearly decimated the "mom and pop shop" and are essentially establishing multilayered conglomerates that are just another form of monopoly. And if you look into it, as it stands right now, corporations have more individual liberties than you and I do as individual citizens. This is currently one of the greatest threats to our society, our economy, and our liberties. We resisted this aggregated power and wealth in every form from the East India Company to the Monarchy of England. All of this is an abomination to everything America is about. Corporations should be regulated and managed for the public good. As history will attest, they can be quite dangerous as they gain power and yes, they nearly always reach to manipulate and take over governments. Corporations are not people and shouldn't be viewed as being people. I'll believe that corporations are people and entitled to the same rights as natural born persons when Texas executes one.

But that is just my opinion.
Aquila, corporations do not have all of the rights of citizens. They do have some of the same rights, but not all. Insofar as a liberal judge being more on the side of civil rights, well, that is how it used to be, but not anymore.
I am also curious as to what rulings you are referring to, in regards to civil rights issues?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Conservative vs liberal is nothing more than a cartoon entertainment for the plebes. It's all about power, privilege, and money. Oh, and building the New Atlantis (see F. Bacon for more info).

Then it shouldn't matter if we align ourselves with more liberal leaders and causes for the sake of workers, minorities, women, veterans, the environment, healthcare, diplomacy, civil rights, campaign finance reform, and decriminalization.

So far... the message the conservatives are sending is that they are simply "against" everything but fresh air. They don't stand for anything.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
Aquila, corporations do not have all of the rights of citizens. They do have some of the same rights, but not all. Insofar as a liberal judge being more on the side of civil rights, well, that is how it used to be, but not anymore.
I am also curious as to what rulings you are referring to, in regards to civil rights issues?
Study corporate personhood and all the money that a corporation can sink into the media to make its message heard far and wide. Study how corporate personhood has already endangered individual civil rights. For example... some corporations can terminate you for smoking or anything else you do "off the clock" on your own time. That's a violation of civil rights. Unless you're on the clock being paid... they should have no power to affect your private life.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Study corporate personhood and all the money that a corporation can sink into the media to make its message heard far and wide. Study how corporate personhood has already endangered individual civil rights. For example... some corporations can terminate you for smoking or anything else you do "off the clock" on your own time. That's a violation of civil rights. Unless you're on the clock being paid... they should have no power to affect your private life.
Aquila - lol, I have been part of that corporate "personhood" for several years. I know very well that power of the corporation. I have handed checks to congressmen for their re-election campaigns, from my corporation. And I agree that corporations have too much influence in the political arena. Now as to companies being able to dictate what you do in your free time, it can be done, but it is very rare.
For you to say that a company should have no power over your private life is somewhat of a stretch. An example would be a company that has a non-smoking pledge for its employees. The company would be using this to have better attendance and obtain cheaper rates on insurance. That is their "right" so long as it is applied equally.
I could give other examples, but hopefully you can see this one.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

obama's snubbing Scalia's funeral. Instead, he'll do a walk-by the casket at the SCOTUS. Haven't heard a reason why he won't attend, other than Scalia was the strongest and most Constitutional SCOTUS Justice. Were it a liberal Justice, no doubt he'd be there.