Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post

I probably agree with your conclusion, but I think I followed a different path to get there.

Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that we have been given "all" the data about the universe; and I don't think you were trying to say that either. But to eliminate some areas of belief, like E.T. and the like, just because the Bible doesn't mention them is a bit presumptuous, to me at least.
To me, it's even more presumptuous to believe in something where there is no proof. I mean, I can show you around my backyard and introduce you to the little gnomes that are building me an underground city of which I will be mayor, but the only response I will get from you is a funny look and maybe some encouragement to seek mental help.

Quote:
So I have reasoned, through what I understand of the available science that even if there were E.T.'s - it really doesn't matter because in all likelihood we will never interact with them. Effectively, from the Earth-based point of view, extraterrestrials don't exist. But even that conclusion must be held with some reserve, because as I stated before, we don't have all of the data given to us via revelation; nor does the Bible even make the claim to give us all of the data.

The Bible gives account of the creation that took place. There is nothing to indicate that He created parallel worlds with a different species. This would mean that Jesus had to die on their world also, and I just don't believe that to be true. Their Bible would be different also, and I'd have to wonder how they are created in the image and likeness of God, yet look completely different than we do.

The above is why I don't believe other beings exist other than what we know.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
To me, it's even more presumptuous to believe in something where there is no proof. I mean, I can show you around my backyard and introduce you to the little gnomes that are building me an underground city of which I will be mayor, but the only response I will get from you is a funny look and maybe some encouragement to seek mental help.
I wouldn't advocate believing in "aliens." It's just that I cannot exclude them with complete certainty. And I'm comfortable with a little uncertainty on matters that don't really affect my life in any real sense. So, my conclusion that even if "aliens" really did exist, they don't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
The Bible gives account of the creation that took place. There is nothing to indicate that He created parallel worlds with a different species. This would mean that Jesus had to die on their world also, and I just don't believe that to be true. Their Bible would be different also, and I'd have to wonder how they are created in the image and likeness of God, yet look completely different than we do.

The above is why I don't believe other beings exist other than what we know.
The Bible's inspired depiction of creation does not mention other planets at all, not even those within our solar system. Must a NASA engineer then deny any belief in Christ in order to operate one of the Mars rovers? How should a believer interact with space in general? The first man in orbit boastfully proclaimed that he was "in the heavens" and that he could "see no God..." (Yuri Gagarin) lending a very atheistic interpretation to the matter.

As we move out into space should we take God with us? Or are we really moving closer to Him?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I wonder if aliens are going to heaven? Because I would assume they are created beings they would have to have a relationship with their creator in order not to spend eternity in ONE hell or to go to heaven?

I wonder if aliens have their own set of standards as not to encite lust among one another. Do their women have hair? I wonder if they have the same admonisment?

Sometimes you gotta wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltiedad View Post
All I know is, they are doomed if they don't look like the universal restroom signs (except with longer hair and skirts on the women )

Sometimes my finger lights up. I dont' know why.....
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

The concept of aliens is pure speculation since we are effectively insulted from them by sheer distance if they were there.

But one cannot help but wonder the more you look at the Universe. For instance, take the Hubble Deep Field image. This is literally a snap shot of a speck of the night sky and in it there is an estimated 1500 galaxies. Not stars... galaxies! Galaxies that we are seeing as they existed billions of years ago! The sheer scale is something that only an astronomer can appreciate.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Not riding the train

Sometimes my finger lights up. I don't know why.....
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Resident Insomniac

I heard a guy "TRY" to use the Bible to say aliens were the fallen angels.........

I also heard another guy try to use an obscure verse to try and say that aliens existed and were most likely saved..........

I think they were both NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 AM
Sheltiedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
The Bible's inspired depiction of creation does not mention other planets at all, not even those within our solar system. Must a NASA engineer then deny any belief in Christ in order to operate one of the Mars rovers?
I agree... was Mars specifically mentioned in the Bible? If not, then it cannot exist.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 AM
arbitrary subjective label

The notion of aliens from outer space is a distraction. It gives people something to believe in and hope for in place of things biblical.

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
The notion of aliens from outer space is a distraction. It gives people something to believe in and hope for in place of things biblical.

... and this is bad because... ?

And please remember, I've already stated my belief that even if "aliens" existed they're irrelevant because we have not, and probably cannot ever interact with them for reasons that RW points out.

I'm just curious. People have "expanded" the Bible to encompass a lot of new discoveries. More correctly, I suppose, I should say that they have "expanded" their interpretations of the Bible to try and fit new discoveries- and sadly new ideas that proved to be wrong.

But why is a belief in "things biblical" preferable to, say things from the X-Files? Why discount this "notion" out of hand just because it doesn't fit the "traditional" viewpoints?