Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Re: Is Christmas “pagan”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
A lot of Meyer's research is like the "Apostolic History Outline". It's not really verifiable, and some things are embellishments. There is also the twisting of Scripture. For example the Christmas tree. The passage used to condemn the Christmas tree is actually about men who go out, cut down a tree, and carve out an idol. It's not about a decorative tree for the season.
I read that this way, also, ty.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Laborers together with God...

Is Christmas pagan? I agree with others, not to me it isn't. It's a holy day to me.

Is there Biblical precedence for a Christmas celebration? Absolutely YES!!!

Is God displeased with His children when they do celebrate these holidays? Depends on how you celebrate them. Bowing down and making obeisance to something other than God has never thrilled Him. However, remembering the why's of Christmas will cause Him to smile.

When Israel was in Babylonian captivity (a judgment from God for their rebellion, iniquity, and disregard for the Law), Jerusalem was ravaged, and the temple destroyed. After the 70 years, the Israelites began to return. Zerubbabel would rebuild the temple, Nehemiah would rebuild the walls, Ezra would re-establish the worship and the following the Law.

What does this have to do with Christmas? Quite a bit actually.

While cleaning up the mess and rebuilding, the priests would also re-establish the peoples understanding of the Law. Ezra brought the book of the Law to Nehemiah, who then gathered the people to hear Ezra read the Law (Nehemiah 8:1-3). When the people began to understand how far they had fallen from God and that they had forgotten to render right service to God, they began to weep and mourn (Nehemiah 8:9). Nehemiah and Ezra stopped them and directed them to celebrate and make merry instead. Why? Because they understood the Law and had hope, joy that God wasn't finished with them, hadn't forsaken them, and that they now could find their way back to God. And the people made merry with exceeding joy and happiness, sending portions to others (Nehemiah 8:12). Repenting would come later (Nehemiah 9:1-2).

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of My Savior. God has seen fit to record the this event be accompanied with Exceeding Great Joy (Luke 2:9-11, Matthew 2:9-10, Luke 1:44, Luke 1:47). Only Herod would not rejoice, instead of joy, there was fear, dread, and murder. Later, the message would be "repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand", but not today. Today is a day for celebrating with exceeding great joy. Tomorrow, we repent. We joy in the hope that Jesus was born to be our Savior.

Ephesians 2:11-13: Remember this, we had no hope and was without God in this world. BUT NOW have hope in Jesus, being brought nigh by His Blood.

Last edited by HRea; 12-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Not to me.
Ha, and I read here answer to Aquila's previous post, about "Lord's Supper!" (prolly incorrect, but)
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRea View Post
Is Christmas pagan? I agree with others, not to me it isn't. It's a holy day to me...
...We joy in the hope that Jesus was born to be our Savior.
nice.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Please share your thoughts? Curse the darkness… or light your world?
I believe in being honest with kids. Again Santa is a great story but it should remain a fairy tale in my opinion. However, we should not throw the traditions out just because some take them to the extent of worship over the holiday spirit. We should tell the world of Jesus and his reason for the season.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
Brother Meyers was a great Christian.
I agree Brother Scott.

Pastor Meyers was also very effective in spiritual warfare.

Quote:
A lot of Meyer's research is like the "Apostolic History Outline". It's not really verifiable, and some things are embellishments. There is also the twisting of Scripture. For example the Christmas tree. The passage used to condemn the Christmas tree is actually about men who go out, cut down a tree, and carve out an idol. It's not about a decorative tree for the season.
2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good. (Jeremiah 10:2-5)

Truly, not trying to be contentious on this matter, but where do you get that they cut down a tree and carve out an idol out of the passage above?
Clearly Jeremiah wrote that the heathen cut a tree out of the forest with an axe and deck it with silver and gold. Do we not today decorate christmas trees with gold ribbons, white lights and silver tinsel? Do we not fasten the tree in a tree holder and water it to keep it living as long as possible? God called people who do this custom "heathen" and that we should not learn the ways of the heathen. He also said: "Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good."

Plus...consider that this custom was being practiced long before Christ was born. The Catholic church, which consider themselves a "universal" religion (one size fits all) put our Lord and Savior in with all the other "gods" in their ancient celebration of Yule and sun worship.

Ask any professing pagan or wiccan and they will tell you that they celebrate "Yule" on December 21...the winter solstice.

Consider this article:
Few people realize that the origins of a form of Christmas was pagan & celebrated in Europe long before anyone there had heard of Jesus Christ.

No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christ's birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.
In northern Europe, many other traditions that we now consider part of Christian worship were begun long before the participants had ever heard of Christ. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means "wheel," the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

Christmas (Christ-Mass) as we know it today, most historians agree, began in Germany, though Catholics and Lutherans still disagree about which church celebrated it first. The earliest record of an evergreen being decorated in a Christian celebration was in 1521 in the Alsace region of Germany. A prominent Lutheran minister of the day cried blasphemy: "Better that they should look to the true tree of life, Christ."

The controversy continues even today in some fundamentalist sects.

http://www.essortment.com/christmas-...ins-42543.html

While Christmas is a homey time of the year filled with love and warmth and generosity, I consider this to be a personal conviction bound to oneself only. I have no opinion about anybody else celebrating the Christmas tradition.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
For our house the objection is not to the when of Christmas, it is to how Christmas is celebrated. I am just not seeing that God would be pleased by many/most of the current traditions practiced around this time of year. They just do not glorify God.
How sad. At our house the entire focus is on God and his most precious gift to the world.

Sure, there does seem to be an overindulgence of consumerism in the marketplace - but I expect that. No need to let that dampen a truly special and Christ-filled celebration.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
How sad. At our house the entire focus is on God and his most precious gift to the world.

Sure, there does seem to be an overindulgence of consumerism in the marketplace - but I expect that. No need to let that dampen a truly special and Christ-filled celebration.
Hoovie I am a lover of simplicity so the church seems to suffer from a huge overindulgence in consumerism MOST of the time to me, but Christmas really brings it out. I see young couples struggle with how they will provide things they can not afford to children who are heavily influenced toward asking for things that are not needed and sometimes overtly bad. I have watched children rip open a gift and with hardly a glance they are on to the next thing learning nothing of gratitude. Rarely do I see parents using this time to teach children to give with community service. They may be missing the a great opportunity to teach the importance of meaningful giving in that desire to see their children have 'happy' Christmases. I see debt and stress and unmet expectations and sadness for those who are not part of a nuclear family that looks good in a Christmas card photo.

We simply decided that was not the way God would have it for us, preferring to spend our time in less pretentious ways. We often seek out those who do not have close relatives and cook for them or visit shut ins. Our grown children and now our grandchildren join us. But we are oddballs in lots of ways so our unique way of spending our winter holidays are just a part of that. Please do not ever feel bad for us, we have so much and really could do it the other way if we chose.

We also prefer to keep it as real as we can about Jesus Christ. I believe that kids are already exposed to action figures, cartoons and movies, magic, etc. and we spend much time helping them understand all of that is not real and teaching them how real Jesus is. I believe it can be confusing to a developing mind. For that reason I object to the 'magic' of Christmas, the Santa story, etc. I think that keeping traditions very simple and Christ focused helps the little ones see Jesus as real. We use the story of Jesus birth to teach that being simple and humble is good and a worthy way to live life. That being poor is not shameful. That those who are meek and obedient, like Mary, can be trusted to carry the spirit of God inside them just as we carry the holy spirit inside us today.

It is different but good.

I am happy for all those who enjoy their traditions as long as they have examined themselves and feel confident that what they are doing is what God would have them do. I would ask that each of us REALLY be conscious of things around Christmas time this year. How do the crowds, the spending, the gluttony, the wastefulness, the frivolousness fit the bible message for the Christian? If you see something there that would not please God, simply remove it. It will do your heart a world of good.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Hoovie I am a lover of simplicity so the church seems to suffer from a huge overindulgence in consumerism MOST of the time to me, but Christmas really brings it out. I see young couples struggle with how they will provide things they can not afford to children who are heavily influenced toward asking for things that are not needed and sometimes overtly bad. I have watched children rip open a gift and with hardly a glance they are on to the next thing learning nothing of gratitude. Rarely do I see parents using this time to teach children to give with community service. They may be missing the a great opportunity to teach the importance of meaningful giving in that desire to see their children have 'happy' Christmases. I see debt and stress and unmet expectations and sadness for those who are not part of a nuclear family that looks good in a Christmas card photo.

We simply decided that was not the way God would have it for us, preferring to spend our time in less pretentious ways. We often seek out those who do not have close relatives and cook for them or visit shut ins. Our grown children and now our grandchildren join us. But we are oddballs in lots of ways so our unique way of spending our winter holidays are just a part of that. Please do not ever feel bad for us, we have so much and really could do it the other way if we chose.

We also prefer to keep it as real as we can about Jesus Christ. I believe that kids are already exposed to action figures, cartoons and movies, magic, etc. and we spend much time helping them understand all of that is not real and teaching them how real Jesus is. I believe it can be confusing to a developing mind. For that reason I object to the 'magic' of Christmas, the Santa story, etc. I think that keeping traditions very simple and Christ focused helps the little ones see Jesus as real. We use the story of Jesus birth to teach that being simple and humble is good and a worthy way to live life. That being poor is not shameful. That those who are meek and obedient, like Mary, can be trusted to carry the spirit of God inside them just as we carry the holy spirit inside us today.

It is different but good.

I am happy for all those who enjoy their traditions as long as they have examined themselves and feel confident that what they are doing is what God would have them do. I would ask that each of us REALLY be conscious of things around Christmas time this year. How do the crowds, the spending, the gluttony, the wastefulness, the frivolousness fit the bible message for the Christian? If you see something there that would not please God, simply remove it. It will do your heart a world of good.
I hear you and agree to a great extent. I just don't think we need to choose. My wife and the kids took some food and went to visit a sick elderly couple in our community tonight - after we prayed and opened a few gifts.

My wife like to do twelve days of Christmas... giving gifts each night (many very small)

On the third day no kids got anything but we gave a goat, some chickens and mosquito net through World Vision - and spent time praying for the recipients.

At any rate, I do understand your approach.

Bless you and yours!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I hear you and agree to a great extent. I just don't think we need to choose. My wife and the kids took some food and went to visit a sick elderly couple in our community tonight - after we prayed and opened a few gifts.

My wife like to do twelve days of Christmas... giving gifts each night (many very small)

On the third day no kids got anything but we gave a goat, some chickens and mosquito net through World Vision - and spent time praying for the recipients.

At any rate, I do understand your approach.

Bless you and yours!
Oh I love World Vision and am a sponsor. We did a goat last year. This year my office is getting together to do a package of farm animals. I think everyone should see the WV catalog and see how that compares to what we shop for for our own families... woza what a difference!

Blessings to you and yours also Bro. Hoovie!