Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 PM
just lurking...

Re: I've Been Praying Alot Lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Well, God commands us to love Him, too. Just sayin'.
You're right, I do seem to recall that somewhere on the never ending list of requirements
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Firmly Planted in Christ

Pray for God to send you the comforter:

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

David used to always ask God not to take away His Holy Spirit from him, and this is the guy who wrote the Book of Psalms, a man of great courage who defeated Goliath..

Psalm 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlow View Post
But again, why would anyone woman want to be with a man who only loves her because God demands it? Or a man who is only faithful because of fear of consequences?

I think all women want to be loved for themselves.
I agree with you that true love is what most men and women want, I just think you have a better chance of finding true love with a God-fearing person. With an atheist there are no external moral boundaries in the relationship, only personal ethics. Knowing human nature, an external influence like faith can keep a relationship intact during low periods, which all relationships go through. Just my advice. Let us know if you find true love.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 AM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Might have been nice to actually have a perfect man as your date!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlow View Post
I disagree! Hanging around perfect people can be really frustrating for flawed people like me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth1981 View Post
Me too Michlow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
But, you have to admit it would be different - - - he'd show up on time, be polite, pay for the meal, respect you, be kind, and just think of all the things you'd have to talk about!
Pulled this from the "Would you Date Jesus" Thread.

I just needed to point out that my Atheist did all of those things! (But I won't be telling him he's perfect anytime soon! )
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

michlow, I have some questions for you. Have you been baptised in Jesus name? Have you received the baptism of the holy spirit speaking in tongues? You said you were apostolic, I was wondering to what extent was your experience in the church.

Timmy, I was wondering the same about you. Can you answer the above questions?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind View Post
michlow, I have some questions for you. Have you been baptised in Jesus name? Have you received the baptism of the holy spirit speaking in tongues? You said you were apostolic, I was wondering to what extent was your experience in the church.

Let's see. I attended a UPC church for a few months when I was 18, and was baptized. I went back about 6 years later, and finished the rest of the steps (I was later baptized a second time as well). I attend 3 different apostolic churches in 2 different states over the next 8 years. During the first half of that, I was quite conservative, I followed all the standards, didn't watch TV or movies. At one time I even believed in holy magic hair!

I'm a bookworm. So when I decided to become apostolic, I read all the literature I could get my hands on by apostolic writers, listened to thousands of sermons live and on tape, and read the bible through hundreds of times. I tithed, I taught Bible Studies, and I thought anyone who didn't follow the 3-steps was hellbound.

So I think you can safely say that I was pretty apostolic. If FCF & NFCF were still around you would be able to find posts where I argued FOR The things I now argue against. (Though I admit that I'm glad those things are gone, as I wouldn't want to read it!)

I admittedly had very bad experiences in a spiritually abusive church under a very controlling Pastor, which had a big impact on my spiritual outlook.

I came to the conclusion that standards were not salvational several years before I left. In fact, I continued to keep attending an apostolic church until God told me to leave. (I accept that 90% of the people reading this, would never believe that it was God).

Oh, as for speaking in tongues, I spoke in tongues after I received the Holy Ghost (several months after...but that's for a different conversation). And I in fact still do occasionally speak in tongues.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

wow, michlow. I didn't know you were so involved. I don't understand how you can be agnostic after being baptized and speaking in tongues. Did you feel anything spiritual when you were baptized? How can you doubt God after speaking in tongues? Wasn't it involuntary tongues by the spirit or was it repeated gibberish?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:

No and yes.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
wow, michlow. I didn't know you were so involved. I don't understand how you can be agnostic after being baptized and speaking in tongues. Did you feel anything spiritual when you were baptized? How can you doubt God after speaking in tongues? Wasn't it involuntary tongues by the spirit or was it repeated gibberish?
Before I can answer this, I need to know what you mean by "doubt God". I don't really doubt that God exists...I just doubt everything else. And doubt isn't a bad thing really, it just means to be undecided or skeptical.

How much of my experience with God, was actually God, and how much of it was the apostolic culture playing on my hyped up emotions? How much of it was pressure? Or the desire to fit in?

There are things, a few experiences, things that I have no other explanation but to believe that God for some reason chose to make himself clear to me. But those experiences are very few and far between. Which means that other than those few experiences, the rest are in question.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
No and yes.
No, you haven't been baptized? yes, you have spoken in tongues?