Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Re: Random Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Your thoughts on an organization that would promote into ministry a Jamaican man with long dreadlocks?
I have a couple of thoughts. It may very well be a cultural thing. It certainly isn’t my culture, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I visited the Fiji islands and their culture dictated that men wore skirts. And they did. In the UPCI church that we visited.

Note: It did not make them appear feminine. They did not act feminine. I did not perceive them to be feminine in any way. They seemed to be manly men.

One thing I did notice. The men didn’t always wear skirts (what they referred to as sulus). But, the more formal the occasion, or the more prestigious the position (think banker, lawyer, and if memory serves me, even men in church which included the pastor) the expectation was that they would wear the sulu. It’s sort of like the expectation that the pastors and deacons in some of our churches will wear nice suits.

So, I think that the mere fact that he has dreads should not necessarily make him ineligible for ministry. In fact there are other , better measures I’m sure that would be better indicators of his worthiness.

On the other hand, I don’t think they should be a qualification for ministry.

Remember, the law dictated that the men not round the corners of the beard. I’m sure that would raise a similar issue (as the dreadlocks) in our churches today.

I really don’t think scripture seems to take a position either way. It may be like the Viet Nam era when beards were forbidden by the UPCI. It was seen as a sign of rebellion. It makes me wonder if the “worldly women” started wearing long skirts if the reaction would be UPCI would teach that church ladies should switch to mini skirts.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:07 PM
This is still that!

There are qualifications for ministry

1 Timothy 3:1-7 (Elders)
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

1 Timothy 3:8-13 (Deacons)
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Titus 1:5-9 (Elders)
For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers."

Ministry is to equip the saints for the ministry of reconciliation:

Ephesians 4:11-13
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

Scripture does require men to have short hair:

1 Corinthians 11:14
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

After meeting the above qualifications, are the customs of paganism, such as dreadlocks, a stumbling block????

Maybe not, maybe it's ok to allow cultural differences.

Last edited by Amanah; 07-26-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Well, I see no problem with dreadlocks, since that’s how many black people manage their hair, but I have a problem with LONG dreadlocks, or long hair in man, for that matter. The Bible is clear about that.
"The entirety of Your word is truth" (Ps 119:160)
Old 07-26-2024, 02:43 PM
This is still that!

They are long. They hang in front of his face down to his chin and shoulders in the back. Maybe uncut dreads are the issue. It's probably none of my business now that I think about it.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
There are qualifications for ministry

1 Timothy 3:1-7 (Elders)
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

1 Timothy 3:8-13 (Deacons)
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Titus 1:5-9 (Elders)
For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers."

Miinistry is to equip the saints for the ministry of reconciliation:

Ephesians 4:11-13
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

Scripture does require men to have short hair:

1 Corinthians 11:14
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

But, Is adopting the customs of paganism, such as dreadlocks, a stumbling block????
Maybe I’m not qualified to speak on the subject. I thought dreadlocks had to do with not combing or brushing the hair. I know it can possibly be long but obviously long hair isn’t normally dreadlocks. Is it possible to have short dreadlocks? If you have long dreadlocks, and you cut them short, are they still dreadlocks? I don’t know.

I’m not sure what paganism has to do with it. Is it automatically pagan to have dreadlocks? I truly don’t know. I think it’s kind of weird but it would also seem weird to have men show up in skirts in Florida, right? And that example may be of pagan origin as well for all I know. What would your pastor have to say about a man showing up with the corner of his beard uncut? Would he maybe not allow him on the platform? But as far as I know it’s one statute of the law for the Hebrews, and commanded by God for Jews in the Bible (NOT for Christians or Gentiles) and certainly not inherently paganistiic.

Would it be wrong for a woman to have long uncut hair that is dreadlocks?
Old 07-26-2024, 02:55 PM
This is still that!

Dreadlocks have spiritual symbolism in Rastafarianism and other African diasporic traditions. Here are some of the symbolic meanings associated with dreadlocks:

1. *Connection to Africa*: Dreadlocks are seen as a link to African heritage and culture.
2. *Spiritual growth*: The uncombed, untamed hair is believed to symbolize spiritual growth, wisdom, and maturity.
3. *Resistance to oppression*: Dreadlocks are a rejection of Western beauty standards and a symbol of resistance against cultural oppression.
4. *Holiness and purity*: In Rastafarianism, dreadlocks are considered a symbol of holiness and purity, reflecting a commitment to a natural, uncorrupted lifestyle.
5. *Strength and resilience*: The knots and tangles in dreadlocks represent the struggles and challenges of life, and the strength and resilience needed to overcome them.
6. *Crown of glory*: Dreadlocks are seen as a crown of glory, symbolizing the wearer's connection to the divine and their inner beauty.
7. *Non-conformity*: Dreadlocks represent a rejection of societal norms and expectations, embracing individuality and non-conformity.
8. *Knots of knowledge*: The knots in dreadlocks are believed to hold spiritual knowledge and wisdom, accumulated through meditation, prayer, and spiritual growth.
9. *Protection*: Dreadlocks are thought to offer spiritual protection, shielding the wearer from negative energies and influences.
10. *Identity*: Dreadlocks are a visible expression of one's identity, culture, and beliefs, serving as a badge of honor and pride.

These symbolisms vary across cultures and individuals, but they all reflect the significance of dreadlocks as a powerful spiritual and cultural expression.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:00 PM
This is still that!

Maybe it is because he is a guy with long uncut dreads that it doesn't seem right. I don't think I would give a woman with long uncut dreads a second thought.
Old 07-26-2024, 05:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Dreads are based on Rastafarianism which I'm assuming is contrary to Apostolic doctrine, right?

I've heard the following:
* It's part of his culture
* Samson had dreads
Dreads is hair that is matted. Rastafarian believed that Haile Selassie I had dreads. The “only” picture they could come up with is one when he was very young child. Certainly not matted. They actually borrow the look from hashish smoking Hindu Sadhus. Who to emulate their god Shiva, grow long matted ash (from a funeral Pyre) sprinkled all over their head and body. As far as Samson he had braids and nothing matted. Also he had to never cut his hair. Which no one in the New Testament is required to follow.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:27 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Maybe I’m not qualified to speak on the subject. I thought dreadlocks had to do with not combing or brushing the hair. I know it can possibly be long but obviously long hair isn’t normally dreadlocks. Is it possible to have short dreadlocks? If you have long dreadlocks, and you cut them short, are they still dreadlocks? I don’t know.

I’m not sure what paganism has to do with it. Is it automatically pagan to have dreadlocks? I truly don’t know. I think it’s kind of weird but it would also seem weird to have men show up in skirts in Florida, right? And that example may be of pagan origin as well for all I know. What would your pastor have to say about a man showing up with the corner of his beard uncut? Would he maybe not allow him on the platform? But as far as I know it’s one statute of the law for the Hebrews, and commanded by God for Jews in the Bible (NOT for Christians or Gentiles) and certainly not inherently paganistiic.

Would it be wrong for a woman to have long uncut hair that is dreadlocks?
In 1996 Anthony B Reggae singer wrote a song which a small part reflects a belief held in Rasterfarianism. The belief that cut, combed hair is Catholic oppression of the captives from Africa.

Fire pon Rome,
Fi Pope Paul an him scissors an comb,
Black people waan go home
A Mount Zion a di righteous throne
Old 07-28-2024, 06:56 PM

What good is a” New earth”, If we’re supposedly going to be in heaven forever?
(As taught…)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29