Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Apostolic Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
Actually the majority of responses to my initial question have shocked me (no one has yet answered the one above...)!
Maybe it's because it is a tough one to answer. I'd imagine the answer would vary from pastor to pastor depending on their personality and, perhaps, other factors. We'd really have to be mindreaders to know for certain.

"If you attend a particular church wouldn't the pastor be offended if his assumption was wrong that by attending you are considering him to be YOUR pastor?"

Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
This thread is not designed to proctor a million responses...unlike some other gratuitous threads I can think of...I just want to know what you think.

I am curious...can you belong to a church/attend a church without assimilating that the Pastor of that church is YOUR pastor?

Here is the crux. What if there is no other church in an city, and you have severe disagreements/experiences/situations with that pastor, not on a personal level, but on a philosophical level, and you absolutely are forced (as a matter of speaking) to attend that church?

Could you attend without having to call him your pastor...or is this outright rebellion against authority?

The reason I ask is that there is a large church in (edit:a part of the U.S.) that is on the threshold of turning over to the son-in law. He is not so popular...in fact he is a mouse of a man compared to those who precede him.

In another situation in (edit: another part of the U.S.), there is a church with a great pastor, but the folks would probably rather go to the Catholic assembly before they would call the youngster...pastor.
I haven't read the responses of others in this thread and this is the first time that I've actually read this post all the way through.

My first thought is that I don't know as any of us automatically accept the pastor of a church as "our" or "my" pastor at the outset. It takes time for that relationship to develop and to have that feeling of love, respect, trust, etc. that happens as you get to know someone and find out that they are worthy of that kind of love and respect.

However, if he is the pastor of that church then if you're going to be a "member" of the church and become involved you'll have to submit yourself to the authority of that man.

We've had people attend the churches we've pastored over 33 years of ministry who never did agree with all the doctrines or standards of the church but were faithful committed members who had a good testimony both within and outside the church. I know that they regarded my husband as their pastor even though they didn't submit to everything that was taught.

However, we loved them. They loved us. We had a great relationship and still do after many years.

We've never been over demanding or overly authoritarian. It's not our mentality, our style or our bent. We feel no need to control those who sit in the congregation.

A pastor has a responsibility to draw lines, set standards and proclaim boldly and strongly the Word of God. But you're never going to have 100% of the congregation accepting 100% or lining up 100% to everything that's taught and preached. You can still love them and they'll love you and respect you regardless.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
This thread is not designed to proctor a million responses...unlike some other gratuitous threads I can think of...I just want to know what you think.

I am curious...can you belong to a church/attend a church without assimilating that the Pastor of that church is YOUR pastor?

Here is the crux. What if there is no other church in an city, and you have severe disagreements/experiences/situations with that pastor, not on a personal level, but on a philosophical level, and you absolutely are forced (as a matter of speaking) to attend that church?

Could you attend without having to call him your pastor...or is this outright rebellion against authority?

The reason I ask is that there is a large church in (edit:a part of the U.S.) that is on the threshold of turning over to the son-in law. He is not so popular...in fact he is a mouse of a man compared to those who precede him.

In another situation in (edit: another part of the U.S.), there is a church with a great pastor, but the folks would probably rather go to the Catholic assembly before they would call the youngster...pastor.

I know a few folks that are US Citizens, but will not accept that George W Bush is 'their' President... so maybe it's the same for church.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually the majority of responses to my initial question have shocked me (no one has yet answered the one above...)!

I have pastored a church that had members that I never personally pastored. No biggie in the whole scheme of things. I feel they need a Pastor, but the only ministry I have in their lives is the one they give me. To them I may have been their preacher and intercessor, etc but not their Pastor. Why get offended over what I personally cannot control?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:

I know that there are people who attend the church I pastor who don't believe and practice what I teach and preach.

While I wish they did, because i believe it to be truth, I am not offended and feel no need to force them to make a choice between compliance or leaving.

As long as they hang around i have the opportunity to love them and preach to them and hopefully win their confidence and influence them.

Why would I want to burn that bridge?

I don't get it.

I decided a long time ago that I would do my best not to take people's rejection of my preaching as a personal slight.

I work for God, not them, and if he accepts me in the beloved, that is what counts.

Anyone is welcome to attend our church, so long as they are not trying to undermine me.

And in ten years, i have never had to ask anyone to leave, so i am not greatly worried about that eventuality.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
I know that there are people who attend the church I pastor who don't believe and practice what I teach and preach.

While I wish they did, because i believe it to be truth, I am not offended and feel no need to force them to make a choice between compliance or leaving.

As long as they hang around i have the opportunity to love them and preach to them and hopefully win their confidence and influence them.

I don't get it.

I decided a long time ago that I would do my best not to take people's rejection of my preaching as a personal slight.

I work for God, not them, and if he accepts me in the beloved, that is what counts.

Anyone is welcome to attend our church, so long as they are not trying to undermine me.

And in ten years, i have never had to ask anyone to leave, so i am not greatly worried about that eventuality.
What if I attended your church????
Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
What if I attended your church????
As long as you didn't try to influence people contrary to what i teach, you would be welcome.

Why not?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
As long as you didn't try to influence people contrary to what i teach, you would be welcome.

Why not?
Pastor CS ... nah ....
Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:

I don't get it.

Good post! Good insight! Good attitude!

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Pastor CS ... nah ....
Look, you assked the question.

Not me.

With as different as our personal beliefs are, I know you wouldn't want me for a pastor, and I am certainly not offended or disappointed.